Pre-Oiler

Prof

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Sean Roe let me drive his GTS while he was finishing my TMTS he told me he had a pre-oiler that he turned on for 10 seconds prior to starting his engine.

Just wondering if anyone else has installed one, or has looked into installing one...?

We use them on big engines all the time. They do it because the oil circuit is so big and the parts are so heavy. I dont see why a small engine would need a pre-lube pump...............enough oil stays in the bearings to get the job done.

just dont start it and dry rev it.

I need to research that issue. Thanks for the reminder...I need lots of people looking out for me!

Hey everyone...long time no speak.

OK the benefits of a pre-oiler.
Your vehicle sits for unknown amount of time...all oil eventually drains to the bottom of the engine. You start the engine dry...ouch. That is when the majority of the wear and tear your engine sees. With a pre-oiler, you turn on the ignition and your oil pressure spikes as it dumps it's contents and hence no dry start. A pre-oiler shoud be based on the "pressure switch". Meaning...you turn on your ignition the pressure switch sees that there is no pressure on one side of the switch so it opens. It should refill the pre-oiler in the same manner. Higher oil pressure on the opposite side of the switch it open and fill to the set or highest PSI.

My failure with my Accumsump Oil accumulator was based on the pressure switch used. It was speced for 85 PSI max. The Viper engine can spike above 100 PSI (the mechanism that controls max PSI is literally a spring). The pressure switch failed...in a major way. They have failed in other applications, but they would just start leaking. Mine "failed" and oil sprayed out at super high PSI. To the tune of about 5 quarts in a matter of minutes. We know because the Viper tech filled the engine with some oil...and it left a nice snail trail and even continued to pour after the engine was off, since the Accusump was below the engine (acting just like a drain).

The need for the Oil Accumluator in The Viper Car is an known issue for those that road race. When entering a high speed corner the 2003-2006 Viper's oil can all be pulled to one side due to G-force, then the engine runs dry and kaboom. The Comp Coupe and the 2008 Viper utilize a swing arm to address this g-force dry up situation, but the real solution is a dry-sump motor.

Hope that helps.

Prof said:
When Sean Roe let me drive his GTS while he was finishing my TMTS he told me he had a pre-oiler that he turned on for 10 seconds prior to starting his engine.

Just wondering if anyone else has installed one, or has looked into installing one...?

AMS-Oilerâ„¢ Oil Precharger (AMO)

The AMS-Oiler® is a high-tech oil pre-charger that puts an end to potential dry-engine starting. Typically, an engine that has sat for even a short period of time will operate relatively dry upon starting before oil is able to fully lubricate the system. The AMS-Oiler® operates as an engine oil reservoir, charged under pressure directly from the oil pump output during normal engine operation. Upon turning the ignition key to the on position, up to 160 cc’s (5.4 oz.) of oil are discharged from the reservoir to engine surfaces, building oil pressure and providing vital lubrication.

Performance

With an extremely rugged hi-grade carbon steel reservoir and anodized aluminum base, the AMS-Oiler® is crafted to withstand severe service and to perform reliably in any personal, commercial or industrial application. Unlike other pre-charger systems, the AMS-Oiler® has no bulky moving parts which need maintenance and does not rely on pressurized gas to function. Unlike air-actuated competitors, the AMS-Oiler® can be mounted at any angle and discharges oil even under the most severe conditions. The AMS-Oiler® is substantially smaller, more convenient to mount and safer than large, bulky, pressurized gas devices. Pressurized gas units AMS-Oiler® Oil Precharger By-Pass/Dual Remote Mounted (AMK-01) & Stand-Alone (AMK-02) range from 18 to 21 inches long with a diameter up to four inches, while the AMS-Oiler® is only about eight inches long and four inches wide. The AMS-Oiler® is a self-contained, streamlined unit that has a mechanical life cycle exceeding one million engine starts, with no maintenance required. The AMS-Oiler® is self-lubricating with an integrated overpressure protection device that protects units from retaining pressures in excess of 65 p.s.i.

Applications

While every engine could benefit from use of an AMSOiler®, vehicles especially prone to frequent starting, such as taxicabs, delivery fleets, marine applications, service vehicles and many family and personal vehicles, would extend their engine life with the simple addition of an AMS-Oiler®.
Engines that sit idle for extended periods of time, such as in farm, service, recreation or marine equipment, are given more time for the oil to drain down, resulting in increased wear during dry-starting. An AMS-Oiler® can provide the instant lubrication necessary to save these engines significant wear and prevent damaging metal-on-metal contact.

Operation

The AMS-Oiler® outperforms gas and air charge systems. With the turn of a key to the on position, an audible 95 db signal will sound for two seconds while a 12-volt DC solenoid initiates the unit’s operation. When the oil delivery process is complete, the signal will cease and the operator can start the engine. The absence of a gas or air charge eliminates the possibility of cross-contamination of dirty gas or air with the engine oil, keeping the oil pure and performing optimally.

A lot of help...thanks.

From both of the two posts above.

Roy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back