Quad Cab gear question

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What will 4:10's do for the quad cab automatic tranny that has 4:56 in the rear? I'm looking for lower rpm on highwy so the engine isn't working so hard and in turn last longer. Also thinking it may help my tranny out too. I was even thinking of possibly going to 3:92's. I wanted to get all sort of insight and advice because in my search I saw nothing pertaining to quad cab gearing everything is for the RC pertaining to gears. Also woul the computer need to be reprogrammed? How bad would it hurt 1/4mi or 1/8mi times? Thanks in adavance

I think if you put 4:10's or 3:92's in you would get better fuel economy on the highway,but you would work your truck a little harder in town being the taller gear is a little harder to get moving,so you would burn a little more fuel in town.
I would guess that the SCT may be able to change your speedo with a gear change in the programing??:dontknow:

You may pick up a slight increase in hwy mileage but in town mileage will probably be reduced slightly also.......the cost/benefit ratio would probably not be good because the slight increase in mileage may take too long to pay for the gear change......around town and track performance will suffer also.........

I wouldnt change the gear to make the engine last longer...just keep the oil changed every 3K miles or less and you should see 200K+ miles out of the engine.........

Here are the speeds in each gear at 5500 rpm (stock shift point at WOT) for each rear end ratio and the RPM's at 60 MPH in overdrive for each rear end gear ratio.

Attachments

• speeds in gears.jpg
    speeds in gears.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 77
mpg will go up both highway and city. look at the new chevys, 3.23's, and higher mpg.

cost might be close to nothing, find someone to swap with. i am sure there is someone who wants them. (if they can be used in a RC)

might be slower in the 1/4 mile who knows?

I would think MPG would be improed both city and town, but I'm not really worried about MPG as much. The way I drive sometimes, I wouldn't notice 1-3 mpg gain. I was thinking more for speed/ less rpm on engine as well as reducing shifts in the transmission to get more out of it. The 48RE does not provide a quality shift cycle life.

scoobert said:
6 speed Alison 1000. more gears more strength, longer life!

The Allison A1000 would take some rework to live behind a modded QC motor.

They are good but I have an A1000 in my Duramax Dually and with the Edge programmer set on 6 (Extreme) I can tell the tranny is not happy.

I believe that it is slipping slightly, that is with about 450 HP and 700TQ.

I do not know what it would do at higher RPMs as it shifts at red line, approx 3200 RPMs.

Stinker, don't you need to change the bearings or carrier to make them work?

FSTJACK said:
The Allison A1000 would take some rework to live behind a modded QC motor.

They are good but I have an A1000 in my Duramax Dually and with the Edge programmer set on 6 (Extreme) I can tell the tranny is not happy.

I believe that it is slipping slightly, that is with about 450 HP and 700TQ.

I do not know what it would do at higher RPMs as it shifts at red line, approx 3200 RPMs.

yes, i am not sure the diesel version is the way to go, however they did cupple it to a 8.1L.

The Vortec 8100 (RPO L18) is a V8 truck engine. It is a redesigned Chevrolet Big-Block engine and was introduced with the 2001 full-size pickup trucks. It is an all-iron engine (block and heads) with two valves per cylinder. It retains the same bore centers as the old 7.4 L big-blocks, but stroke was upped by 9.4 mm to reach 8.1L (496cuin) for a total of 107.95 mm bore and 111 mm stroke. Power output ranges from 225 hp (168 kW) to 450 horsepower (340 kW) and torque from 490 lb·ft (664 N·m) to 455 lb·ft (617 N·m). Vortec 8100s are built in Tonawanda, New York. The Vortec 8100 is the engine used in the largest Uhaul, their 26-foot (7.9 m) truck. GM stopped installing big block V-8's in the Silverado HD trucks, when the GMT-800 series was discontinued in 2007. 8100 marine engines range from 300 to 500 hp and come with a stand-alone ecm. The last L18 was manufactured in December 2009.

Allison 1000

The Allison 1000 is rated to handle up to 620 lb·ft (841 N·m) of torque. Initially it was a 5 speed transmission, but a new "Generation 4" 1000 was introduced in 2005 that added a 6th gear at the very top of the ratio ladder, making it a double-overdrive like heavier duty Allison transmissions. For the 2006 model year, manual gear selection was introduced. This feature gives the driver greater control over the transmission, enhancing operation when engine braking or less frequent shifting is desired.

Gear ratios:
1 2 3 4 5 6 R
3.10 1.81 1.41 1.00 0.71 0.61 (06+) 4.49

also the transmission has vendors that up the potential. it seems the base price is about 3500 new. you would need a controller too.

Last edited:
The carrier will interchange, factory 4:10 to factory 4:56 but would need new bearings, generous offer.

Yea generous offer for sure! Stinker I PM'd u about it and what I would need as well as what it would take. My truck gonna be in the tranny shop next week so maybe I could get them to do the gears if it's worth it?
Wouldn't 4:10's require less shifting on te automatic and on the track wouldn't it climb to higher speeds so it would also be one less shift?

kickinassrt-10 said:
Yea generous offer for sure! Stinker I PM'd u about it and what I would need as well as what it would take. My truck gonna be in the tranny shop next week so maybe I could get them to do the gears if it's worth it?
Wouldn't 4:10's require less shifting on te automatic and on the track wouldn't it climb to higher speeds so it would also be one less shift?
Roger, I was thinking the same thing. In the eighth mile we're shifting into third very close to the end. With 4:10's we may be able to stay in second.:dontknow:
And shit, I was gonna get these from Tony. But I told him No, because I couldnt find anyone that wanted to do it. Didn't even think of ATF. Good thinking Roger.:D

SANTEEN said:
Roger, I was thinking the same thing. In the eighth mile we're shifting into third very close to the end. With 4:10's we may be able to stay in second.:dontknow:
And shit, I was gonna get these from Tony. But I told him No, because I couldnt find anyone that wanted to do it. Didn't even think of ATF. Good thinking Roger.:D
Yea im not too worried about the off the line power hell you lose that anyways with traction. I'm more worried about tranny life and requiring it to shift less when driving the truck the way it was intended!
You're stll gonna kick my ass at the track anyways. Btw I'm selling the nitrous kit. I'm not installing on my truck. The thing has too many problems as it is last thing I need is to blow the engine!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back