Quick break question

EXCESSV

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got my SRT and it has less than 6,500 miles on it so it has the origonal breaks. They are squeeling something crazy, so I has a mechanic take a quick peek at them he said they are like new no issues. He also told me due to the weight and power of these trucks that the material the breaks are made out of will do this when ever they are cold. When they warm up they are quiter but not quiet. What are your experiences with break squal?
Thanks in advance

In my experience so far, The brakes squealing is common for these trucks. I purchased the EBC greens and they still squeal. Other members report no squealing and very little brake dust with these brake pads. I've only had mine on for 2 days so I'm still skeptic as to whether they were worth the $175 I paid for them.

If you'd like stinker has them for sale @ www.jtsvp.com. He has excellent customer service and can help you out with any questions that you may have.

Any performance vehicle with appropriate brakes will have vibration noise. Squeeks!!!!

You can lessen the noise by using EBC pads from Tony, but you also have to break them in correctly...take the time to do it right and you will reduce your brake squeaking, but few totally eliminate it.

My old Performance Friction pads rarely ever squeaked and the dust was reduced by a ton......

Cheap and effective product for the money...........

D

you can try some anti-squeal paste, it greatly helps and is cheaper then a new set of pads. anti seeze does the same job but the brake specific stuff has a higher temp rateing

Black1 said:
Ageed....

..... But, the squeak never goes away completely.

Mine did! Centric Posi-Quiet pads on stock rotors (didn't have them turned, either).

the problem is most common on the rear calipers and mostly with the 05 quad cabs,
dodge actually came out with a memo and replacement pads, but they didnt work either.

the best thing to do is remove the rear calipers , clean them very very well, remove the rotor, clean all dust and rust from inside and out, , lube the caliper where it slides, take some scotch brite and scuff up the rotors, and the pads.

and most of all , adjust your parking brake, that is most of the problem.

do all that and "most" of the time the noise goes away, but make sure to get all the rust and dust from inside the rear rotor as well as the outside

Driving around like ma kettle can cause some issue too. These pads are going to squeal but by rebedding the pads occasionally you can alleviate some of this issue. First, keep the wheels, calipers, and rotors clean and if you notice the squeal when you are coming up to light, just normal braking and it is driving you nuts. Try this.

Drive about 60 MPH on a road with nobody around.
Do three or four hard stops from 60 MPH to about 20 MPH, as close to the AntiLock threshold you can get too without engaging the ABS.
Then drive around for bit to cool the brakes down.

This should rebed the pads and get some of the crap off them making them squeal. It does help but I wouldn't go out and do this everday or anything, just when it gets bad and the problem is not worn out pads.

You will get squeaking from the truck brakes. Besides noise, there is no performance loss from the "normal" squeaking.

If its too much for you, just spray some WD40 all over the rotors; that will stop it! (the noise, not the truck)

Vman455 said:
Mine did! Centric Posi-Quiet pads on stock rotors (didn't have them turned, either).

Yep, those are the ones I had on mine too. Nice brakes! :rock: But, the squeaks came back after about 10k miles or so. :eek:

only time i used my breaks was for a break-stand burnout...never heard the squeak?
try 007 idea, thats seems to work best...every prius comes equiped that way

This what I use on mine and it keeps them nice and quiet. I use this on every vehicle that I have, and none of them have much brake noise afterward. It is basically a rubbery high-temperature glue that you apply to the back of the pads. It works great.

I_576104_SW_1.jpg

Here is the link with the product description: http://www.crcind.com.au/catalogue.nsf/web_brands/Disc+Brake+Quiet?openDocument

Last edited:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back