Ram SRT10 world record

miwago

Reaction score
On Wikipedia "In February 2004, a Dodge Ram SRT-10, driven by NASCAR driver Brendan Gaughan set both the Guinness World Record and Sports Car Club of America's record for the world's fastest production truck[9] with an average speed of 154.587 mph (248.784 km/h). To present date it is still the Worlds fastest full size factory pickup truck. However is ranked at number two as the fastest overall production truck, too Australia's Z-series HSV Maloo R8, breaking the previous record for the world's fastest production utility/pickup truck by 22 km/h, at 271 km/h, (168 mph).[10] Note: There were a total of three trucks used to break the world speed record. Vin # 3D3HA16H44G257254 reached a top speed of 161.327 mph but was disquified because of what was considered an illegal exhaust system. 154.587 is the official speed that is used.
Note: Considering the fact that a "pickup" on a car chassis is NOT regarded as a truck worldwide, the HSV Mallo is not generally accepted worldwide as having broken the land speed record for a truck."

I have asked Guiness how the HSV Maloo is allowed to keep its designation as the fastest "truck" in the world, since its essentially a Australian El Camino. Awaiting their response.

I'm not proud of this because it's stupid and places myself and others at risk. But in November 2007 I hit 163 mph on the 610 Loop in Houston. Now, I admit it sure took considerably longer than a mile to achieve this..... And I WAS running downhill over the Houston Ship Channel bridge when that speed was achieved, but it happened and I've been talking about it ever since. Mind you, I felt like I was driving on ice by then despite my running on dry cold asphalt. I promised I would NEVER do that nonsense on public roads again. I have a snapshot of my aftermarket ///ALPINE NAV satellite speedo posted somewheres on here clocking my speed on the screen display. I was ALSO running along with some buddies on their crotch rockets and they conferred the speed. That 154 point something, something record was likely a timed deal. :dontknow:I don't think I would have came close to 154 point sumthin, something in a shorter distance so.....my hat's off.:D

It's still our record to anyone who is intelligent. I have talked to people (mostly kid lightning owners) who tell me the lightning is the fastest they don't care what Guinness says. People will just tend to believe what is convenient for themselves I guess. :dontknow:

It's still our record to anyone who is intelligent. I have talked to people (mostly kid lightning owners) who tell me the lightning is the fastest they don't care what Guinness says. People will just tend to believe what is convenient for themselves I guess. :dontknow:

I agree with this

Wikipedia also defines a pickup truck....so I guess it all depends on how you want to see it.

Definition[edit]

Several North American vehicles, the Chevrolet El Camino, Ford Ranchero, Dodge Rampage, Honda Ridgeline and Subaru Baja have beds, but they are not usually referred to as pickups in North America, because their design and construction does not conform to normal expectations of "trucks".[citation needed] Although the El Camino and the Ranchero were built with body-on-frame architectures, they were based on existing station wagon platforms, while the Ridgeline uses a spot welded sheet steel monocoque (unibody) chassis in the same style as modern passenger cars. Trucks typically have either a tubular or channel rail chassis with a fully floating cab and separate cargo section to allow for chassis flex and prevent warping of the sheetmetal. The sheet steel in both of these sections is not a stressed member.

I'm not proud of this because it's stupid and places myself and others at risk. But in November 2007 I hit 163 mph on the 610 Loop in Houston. Now, I admit it sure took considerably longer than a mile to achieve this..... And I WAS running downhill over the Houston Ship Channel bridge when that speed was achieved, but it happened and I've been talking about it ever since. Mind you, I felt like I was driving on ice by then despite my running on dry cold asphalt. I promised I would NEVER do that nonsense on public roads again. I have a snapshot of my aftermarket ///ALPINE NAV satellite speedo posted somewheres on here clocking my speed on the screen display. I was ALSO running along with some buddies on their crotch rockets and they conferred the speed. That 154 point something, something record was likely a timed deal. :dontknow:I don't think I would have came close to 154 point sumthin, something in a shorter distance so.....my hat's off.:D

Theres some info that your missing here on the world record,its not the top end fastest that the truck will do,these trucks can easily do over 160MPH,theres lots of us that know first hand,if you read all the info on t the record its and "AVERAGE speed" that the truck ran going arounf the track so many times,I believe it went around 3 laps and they did an average of ALL 3 laps to come up with the 154MPH,Just like NASCAR they hit say 200MPH top speed but the lap average is like 189MPH (for an example).so the world record is not the top speed these trucks can do its an average of so many laps around a track,they didn't clock it around and around till it wouldn't go no faster,just to clarify.
I agree 100% the the Australian el camino IS NOT TRUCK!! I don't even think it has a full frame to start!!,just think how fast our truck would go if we were the same weight as that el camino with no frame!,these trucks would probably be 10sec trucks off the lot!! Just my view

I am very honestly presently appealing to Guinness to remove the HSV Mallo as a pickup truck, as not every country, nor every state in the USA sees the "Sport ute" as a pickup truck.
If we were to go on carrying capacity, my 1971 Olds Delta 88 was a truck, as was the 1975 Cadillac sedan deville I owned.

My SRT10 truck

I recently found out that my glove box is signed by Brendan Gaugnan and was just wondering if I could find out if he signed it because it was one of the three trucks used to break the record. The truck that was disqualified had a different VIN number than mine so do you know if I can find out the VIN of the one he actually won with? Thanks, Ron

I recently found out that my glove box is signed by Brendan Gaugnan and was just wondering if I could find out if he signed it because it was one of the three trucks used to break the record. The truck that was disqualified had a different VIN number than mine so do you know if I can find out the VIN of the one he actually won with? Thanks, Ron

That would be awesome to own on of the testing trucks. I have no idea how you would verify it though. Maybe find a way to get in touch with Brendon Gaugnan or his manager to see if they can verify it.

The one that was the record setter was stolen and totaled...

hmmmm where did I put that VIN...

According to SCTA, the rule maker for Bonneville (and other) land speed racing, El Camino and Ranchero type vehicles (which the Holden Maloo is) are not only not trucks, they are specifically Car/Coupes. Absolute land speed records (not class specific) are also certified by the FIA. The Guinness Book of World Records is not any sort of official body, and they are definitely wrong about the Maloo being a truck.

I have owned both the maloo and the srt 10. I actually traded in my maloo for my 10
so I think I can comment on this::
my maloo was faster and handled so much better.
I miss going around corners :)
the current vf2 maloo has 6.2 lt supercharged lsa enginge. they are fast for a factory car.
I actually considered getting rid of my 10 for a new maloo.
but they are common here and also $90k au
is it a truck.???? NO

Last edited:
I am very honestly presently appealing to Guinness to remove the HSV Mallo as a pickup truck, as not every country, nor every state in the USA sees the "Sport ute" as a pickup truck.
If we were to go on carrying capacity, my 1971 Olds Delta 88 was a truck, as was the 1975 Cadillac sedan deville I owned.

the question is, have ya gotten any whar with the Guinness:rock::dontknow:

Last edited:
The thing about cars is that they are so light and wimpy. Try scaring vehicles out of your way on the highway with any car and you might get a few reactions until you run into a truck or a van. Then try doing the same thing on a 3 ton bullet and see who doesn't. :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back