RC and performace tune?

furgy667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much of a gain is there from doing a good performance tune on a RC? Does the increase in performance out way the dangers of denotation. Obtaining 93 octane is not hard to find but I am unsure about the quality of the gas sometimes.

This truck is my daily driver . I will put no less then 2,000 miles on it a month , so anything that could shorten the longevity of the motor really scares the $#@% out of me. I sometimes question the sanity of my purches then I put my foot down and all I can do is smile. :burnout:

I do plan on buying a van at the first of the year and using it for a mobile work station , but that might fall through .

Thanks

Brandon

It helped mine.
Stays cooler,sounds better,runs smoother,no decel popping/cackling, feels more powerful.I have a 93 octane tune and zero detonation.

It helps the QC's even more.

You'd pick up some power, but if it's longevity you're after.... the closer to stock the better

LoveThisTruck said:
You'd pick up some power, but if it's longevity you're after.... the closer to stoc'

That's what I was thinking . Its just good to hear it from some one else . If I find a good deal on a van then I will become the mad moder:rock:

If not we will see just how well the 10 will hold up :dontknow: My last truck went 92,000 without even changing the brake shoes:) ,did have a water pump to go though .

The only thing I plan on upgrading is the stock hydraulics to the viper hydraulics when the clutch lets go .

Its going to be really hard not to mod this thing .

Brandon

04's dont have a knock sensor so make sure you use premium and watch your temps...higher the more likely to have detonation. Other tidbit is to keep RPM's under 5K. Some evidence that stock pistons don't like redline too often. I recently turned 70K miles on mine.

I always use premium gas . Temps stay right at 200 or below , with oil temp usually at 190 or so . I don,t flog it to much but whats the use of having a truck like this and not ? I have been trying to shift at 5,500 sometimes it slips up to 6,000 before I know it . Should I shift at 5,000 ? Man I wish these motors came from the factory forged. I am sure everyone does:)

Brandon

if i were you the only mods i'd be looking into would be a nice tune A DYNO tune exhaust and maybe a lowering kit and a Raptor Shift light and then just drive the piss out of it

I have a DC stage two tune with 91 octane. Truck runs much better with this tune. Definatly more power as well. Or you can get the mopar tune which is prolly the most safe of all tunes.

patrick

My stage II when I had it made 440 hp and 495 tq to the wheels. I thought it was the best $450 I sent.

Thanks for the info . I know on my last truck the tune I had not only increased performance but it also helped a little on mpg.I had it tuned aggressively for 93 octane and on some of the really hot days I would get a little denotation. Wasn't to concerned bout that though because it had a knock sensor and would pull timing when this happened . Sounds like I should get a 91 tune to be safe and run 93 octane .

Now to decide witch tune to get:) I will probably have to go with one of the hand helds because I don't need any down time. I just hope my Christmas bonus is enough to cover a van and a tune. My boss always tells me to make sure i spend the hole check on myself , I might just take him up on this one.

We shall see how a S/C holds up as a daily driver spring to fall, but of course I am forging so we'll let you know. Also depends on how goofy you get with the gas pedal.

not tryin to jack this thread but mine if sittin a couple days takes a few extra rounds to start and decel pops alot and sometimes runs warm (200+) i have mopar computer... would i be doing any good if i swapped back to the stock comp and SCT?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back