Rear Diff gasket?

texastonka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing to Redline 70W140 this afternoon but can not find a gasket on Summit or Fel Pro or anywhere. Does everyone go back with RTV?

I got on thier site and saw a new product- usually used Black RTV before but this looks promising, anyone used this yet?

"Permatex® Gear Oil RTV Sealant

OEM specified. Specially formulated to withstand the harsh gear oil environment found in differentials and transfer cases. Because gear oil has friction modifiers that break down normal RTV and cause leaking, this specialty silicone has been tested to OEM specifications to ensure complete sealing. As a gasket maker it seeks and seals leak paths that cut gaskets cannot."

There's is no gasket. The stealership said they just put the silver RTV silicone

Just a thought: Why not simply use the differential drain plug and drain the fluid, then add the requisite 5.9L. At 25,000 miles, unless you have abused it, a drain/refill should be sufficient.

vmf700 said:
Just a thought: Why not simply use the differential drain plug and drain the fluid, then add the requisite 5.9L. At 25,000 miles, unless you have abused it, a drain/refill should be sufficient.

I just bought the truck, going to inspect the gears and see if there is any damage or beginning of damage in the rear diff, also changing fluid to Redline 75W140 and want to clean it out of any shavings as much as possible first, get all the old crap out before filling with the good crap.

With as much torque as these things have it is a good idea to inspect the gears every 20K anyways to avoid a more costly repair later, even under daily driver street use.

+1 for the lubelocker gasket. I'm very happy with them; I've used them since their inception.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back