Regular Cab Automatic Conversion?

Carlwalski

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This has been asked several times in the past with surprising popularity and it brought out quite a few closet RC automatic fans. However, none of the threads actually ended up answering any of the major technical questions. I love driving manuals, always have done, but when it comes to cars with a bit of grunt, ie: V10, Hemis, worked RB Blocks, etc there are always times when you favor an auto for the ease and also in many cases, performance wise. They both have their pros and cons and I'm just into fast cars/trucks. If they are fast, I love them.

Most of you won't know that I'm close to selling the Batram but may consider keeping it and using it more with an auto PLUS a Supercharged set up - built right. I'd like to aim for around 750-800hp. As it stands I just don't drive it enough, maybe 1-3 times a month if that. I purchased it as a daily driver but it becomes a pain in the arse in daily traffic, plus I'd like my Dad to be able to enjoy it if he wants to drive. Being in his mid 60s now he is over the stick days and prefers it easier but in short I think it'll be a cool and very unique setup, fun, fast and different.

I would have it floor shifted with the works, manual valve body etc and a beefy QC transmission, as far as I know? (hence this thread). Anyhow, feel free to mock all you want lol you don't have to drive it, I think it would be sick, be a meaner street machine and be a fitting set up for the Black Knight that the truck is, plus rid a lot of the RCs issues in the 1/4 mile. It's this or sell it for an SRT8 Jeep and I just can't let the looks of the Batram (and SRT/10 RC trucks go) not after all this effort and time. The RC front end is no different is it?? The QC is just longer at the back and has two more seats so it shouldn't be any difference?

My questions, how would one go about doing this properly? I'm looking at making a proper list of parts used for others who want to follow suit. I know it can be done as we all know Dodge made 4 Pace trucks and there was a guy on here who did an 04 but the build details never made it out into the public. I have made a "starters" list below, if you can help me add or get it near to completion for the entire conversion that would be AWESOME. Feel free to point out any errors in the list.

Thanks,
Carl

2006 RC Manual to Auto Conversion Parts List:

48RE Transmission
Torque Converter
Flywheel
Transmission Cooler
Custom Drive-Shaft
Quad Cab Wiring Harness and PCM
Floor Shifter (Cable Type)
Pedal Assembly (Auto Brake)

What needs to be replaced? Steering column? Dash cluster?
Mine is RHD but I don't see any problems.

BatramAuto.jpg

Last edited:
Would really like to do this, seems best way would be to start with a wrecked QC or a buddy with a QC that would like a 6 speed.

FATJACK said:
Would really like to do this, seems best way would be to start with a wrecked QC or a buddy with a QC that would like a 6 speed.
I agree Jack, that would be a great start. I did note that Stinker sells beefed up 48RE tranmissions for $3,700 (core needed) not too bad. But a wrecked truck will give you most of the parts you need in one hit. I think with careful planning, plenty of photos, this could be a useful reference to others. That is my plan, to do it for myself but also make it as clear as possible for anyone else. :)

Got homework to do first though..........:eek:

505'sFastestViper. said:
i wouldnt do it with the 48 re i would do it with a turbo 400
I would as well. I dont think the 48RE is strong enough,reliable enough, or even capable of causing neck snapping, consistant shifts like the Th400.
http://www.browellbellhousing.com/
Can make you a custom bellhousing to bolt up to the viper engine.

Being it is Throttle valve controlled you dont have to worry about the electronics.

You will need a custom crossmember that is easy to fab up, and a driveshaft.
But i well built Th400 would be the route i would take.

i have heard that there is an adapter for sale for the th 400 for our motors

Thank you very much guys. This is a very promising start. Guess it just comes down to labour - that's the worst part LOL......... :( Can anyone recommend a reputable vendor who sells TH400s? Wonder who I should get to build it up. We have pro shops down here, might be easier over there in American though as I would have to import all the upgraded internals and I wouldn't know where to start, TF727, yes, GM stuff, no. Is a TF727 not even worth considering? I think the TF727 is a Stout unit myself, as do others but then again, depends who you talk to. Off to do some research on the TH400.......

Last edited:
Ive also herd of a turbo 400 kit for the viper motor/trucks. I'll see if I can remember where I saw it.

I'm currently changing my QC to a TH400 with a gearvendors behind it. If anyone wants to convert a RC to a 48re I have all those parts (other than adapter and computer)... flexplate and hub, suncoast tranny and torque converter, column shifter.

That said, if I had a RC I'd go with a TH400 and gearvendors. You wouldn't have to change engine computers and harness, just need the tranny, adapters, driveshaft, crossmember, shifter. Here's where I got everything for mine.

Tranny: Mike's Transmission in Cali. www.mikestransmission.com This is also who Jack got his through. Great guy, understands what it takes to make one survive in a heavy vehicle. He also did extra machine work once he got the adapter on to make sure all the spacing was perfect in relation to the torque converter.
Adapter: Donato Engineering. He has everything you need and the stuff is truly top notch, albeit a bit pricey.
Gearvendors: www.gearvendors.com Mike supplied this with the transmission.

Last edited:
Just a thought, don't the QC and RC have different engine blocks?

Wil

Yes but the company I listed above, Donato, has adapters to take care of it. For instance.

QC to TH400. Use 02 Viper to TH400 adapter with 05 flex plate.
RC to TH400. Use 04 Viper adapter and flex plate.

He also has the adapters for dodge trannys on viper engines.

Scrambler1 said:
Yes but the company I listed above, Donato, has adapters to take care of it. For instance.

QC to TH400. Use 02 Viper to TH400 adapter with 05 flex plate.
RC to TH400. Use 04 Viper adapter and flex plate.

He also has the adapters for dodge trannys on viper engines.
This sounds like the best way to go Carl, If the 400 ever needs rebuild, it would be cheap...You can get manual valve body, any torque converter you might want even a trans brake.:rock: :rock:

the tf727 will not hang they are a stout unit but remember the cars tnat they were in might of only had 4-5 hundred hp put 800 to it and it goes bang boom pow a lot like batman lol

And if you chose to go the 48RE route,here's a link that would allow you to keep your PCM,and just use their OD unit which converts to a Hydraulic Shift Tranny !!!

http://smrtrans.com/

Holy crap, you guys are too much, honestly, thank you for all your help. :) :burnout:

The TH400 definitely looks like the way to go. It covers all areas: cheap to buy/modify, performance, heavy duty and bellhousings are available for the Viper engines. If I'm reading right, you guys are saying I can keep my stock instrument cluster, steering column/wheel and leave all the factory wiring in place and it'll just turn out to be a case of measuring many times and getting the trans mounted in the tunnel, a shifter hooked up and that's about it? What, if any, CELs could you guys foresee popping up for a conversion like this? Does having a non auto cluster make any difference? Just asking as the auto cluster have: [ P-R-N-D-3-2-1 ] or what ever they have. I could just get a heads up display that changes up or down a gear when I do or simply leave it.

The TH400 has basically the same ratio as the TF727 (2.48, 1.48 & 1) vs. (2.45, 1.45 & 1) so that's fine. With the stock 4.56 rear gears in the housing and in 3rd of either the TH400/TF727 it's going to be pretty high "cruising" rpms. With 32.80 OD tires, 4.56 gears and the trans in 1:1 it's around 3,030rpm @ 65mph. :eek: I won't touch GVs, bad experience with their stuff in the Challenger. Are there any other stout 4-Speed automatics that won't require computer changes, etc seriously worth considering? If not, my only other choice is to go down to a 4:10 gear set (may help launching, traction wise) and @ 65mph it would drop to 2,730rpm OR just run it at 3,030rpms+, will the V10 be OK cruising at that rpm range on long trips?

Cheers,
Carl

th400_transmission.jpg

th400_specs.gif

You might see if you can get a 700R4 built for your HP/TQ. They can handle 400 pretty easy but don't know about anymore. Depends on the build. It has an overdrive gear. You'll need to research adapters too.

There is also a 200R4 that can be built to handle power. I read that there are some living behind 9 second Buick Grand Nationals. It is also an overdrive tranny. I'm not positive about this but there are some known as BOP 200R4's. The BOP stands for Buick/Olds/Pontiac and as near as I can tell from reading that it is the same bolt pattern as the TH400. If this is true then you can use the TH400 adapter plate on the BOP 200R4. More research is needed but it's something to look in to. Your mileage may vary. Items in mirror are closer than they appear. etc, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back