Roe Supercharger Question

blackviper

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question. I'm thinking of cutting out the ridge adjacent to the bottom of the V of the discharge port and open up the top plate to accommodate the entire opening of the bottom of the supercharger. It seems in theory this should allow the air to be more evenly distributed across the top of the intercooler and into the cylinders. What are your thoughts on this?

DSCN0122.jpg

DSCN0121.jpg

DSCN0120.jpg

DSCN0119.jpg

Last edited:
Umm your talk about the solid portion behind the discharge V?

Remember its not a Root's blower, It's a screw blower and it works differently. Take air from the back and push it forward. That's why the AX is such a better blower then our carb models.

On L's they make another smaller V in that area in the forward part really close to the stock discharge. I'll see if I can find it.

mmfs_060069_09_z+ford_lightning_ported_eaton+stock_blower_next_to_the_ported_unit.jpg

something interesting though is they have the whole thing opened up, much smaller blower but, it's something to think about.

mmfs_060069_07_z+ford_lightning_ported_eaton+air_to_water_intercooler.jpg

Bigger is not always better, I'm not sure on the flow characteristics of the discharge, but I wouldn't start chopping away. Maybe contact Kennebell.

Check with these guys George;) www.pse.us Talk to Edd. I had spoke with him about porting mine last year. He said it would be no benifit unless your running over 12psi and your intercooled;) Looks like you will be going that route so give him a call. I think he had said $400 for a full port job:rock:

Umm your talk about the solid portion behind the discharge V?

I'm not thinking of making the discharge port any bigger. That would reduce the port velocity. I'm thinking by removing the solid portion between both cavities it would center the air coming into the intercooler core and to the cylinders. A more direct flow to the cylinders should equate to more power and ease tuning. The other potential benefit would be the increased manifold area as the entire cavity measures 9 3/8 inches long by 5 1/2 inches wide and 1/2 inch in depth. Remember I will not be using the diverter plates.

Kyle, what does the porting entail? What are the benefits? Thanks.

Larry, I sent an email to Sean before I started ths thread. I'm sure I'll get his response Monday.

rotor1.jpg

Inlet Phase – The male and female rotors rotate counter to each other. As the lobes of each rotor travel past each inlet port, air is trapped between consecutive lobes and the cylindrical casing. The air moves axially (forward) throughout the case and fill the inner-lobe space between adjacent lobes.
rotor2.jpg

Compression Phase – As the rotors mesh, the air is trapped between the rotors and the casing. Continued rotation progressively reduces the space occupied by the air causing compression.
rotor3.jpg

Discharge Phase – Compression continues until the inner-lobe space becomes exposed to the outlet port, through which the air is discharged into the manifold.

The compression sequence continues on all rotor segments simultaneously. Timing gears synchronize the rotors. The rotors do not touch the casing or each other thus assuring long life, consistent performance and low parasitic losses.

never mind

Last edited:
What if it's need to add rigidity to the case?

you can see the porting vs none porting in the l blowers. I believe they round every thing, hog it out as much as possible. And in the eaton's case the add the power V

Would removing that bar do anything, that air is coming out of there in a hurry and blows forward and down, would it even see the bar?

Last edited:
In theory, adding the extra height/area should allow the air to move towards the rear cylinders as it hits the resistance of the intercooler core.

Having that area confined by the original design, the majority of the air will blow straight through the intercooler core at an area no larger than the original discharge port. This would pretty much defeat the purpose of having an intercooler core that is 23 inches long by 6 inches wide. It would not allow the core to maximize its thermal efficiency.

Hopefully, I'll have the answer to all these questions tomorrow.

Thanks Kyle. After a little research, there seems to be an increase of 15% in RWHP and torque on average with port work, and 20 degress cooler IAT's. This should equate to approximately 40 RWHP. Not to shabby for $400.00 to $500.00.

blackviper said:
Thanks Kyle. After a little research, there seems to be an increase of 15% in RWHP and torque on average with port work, and 20 degress cooler IAT's. This should equate to approximately 40 RWHP. Not to shabby for $400.00 to $500.00.

Porting will also make the SC'r louder too!!:rock: :rock:

You could also place a small diverting plate at the discharge to "urge" the air into the right direction. I agree with your flow problems. My solution will be to move the SC as far forward as possible and feed the intake much like it is done from the factory except with the plenum being below the runners instead of above. That is a major deviation from Roe's design and necessitates relocating the coil packs and knock sensors(if equipped).

I would be careful porting a screw type blower. the only blowers being ported with the lightnings were the eatons. none of the KB's or whipples, both screw types. in fact if you did port one of the aftermarket ones you forfeited any type of warrantee there was with that blower. note that the aftermarket blower porting guys also would have a higher than acceptable blower failure rate in my opinion. I think this was dues to case flex from a combination of high boost/spinning the blower near its max and the reduced case strength due to the port.

be careful is all I have to say with porting a blower. many have tried, alot have turned their blower into an anchor.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back