Selling question

mmmmtorque

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am selling my bike on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4641911618&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT

and have a buyer that is looking to close the deal now. He says he has the money but wants a copy of the title faxed to him for a background check. He works at a truck dealership and says this is standard procedure that they do on all vehicles before purchasing them.

Just feel a little reluctant to fax the front and back sides of my title out to a stranger. Anyone aware of any scams of reproducing legal titles from copies ?

I have the title free and clear.

Just paranoid since i have had at least 5 or 6 people try to steal this motorcycle with forged and conterfeit cashiers checks.

I also think he should be able to get the information he needs with just the vin#.

You said that the guy requesting copies of the title works for a dealership.

I'd ask him what dealer he works for and ask him to give you the phone number. Then call 411 and confirm that the number is correct. Then call the dealership and ask for the GM. Tell the GM you want to make sure this guy is legit and whether it's their company's policy to request copies of the vehicle's title.

But I would do at least SOME kinda follow up before you give him copies of your title... I'd be just a bit hinky about it myself. But it could be legit, you never know til you do yer homework.

SD

Most newer titles have watermarks on them and when you try to photocopy them the word VOID becomes legible on the copy.
Or make a copy and white out the VIN and your Address

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back