Sound when cold

Reaction score
Recently I have been hearing a sound comming from the truck just when you back it up or come to a stop only when you first start driving it is not like a clunking sound just a little tap then when it is hot you dont hear it anymore. Does anyone have insight it is driving me crazy. I just had an alignment and new tires installed.

Have you tried to pin point where on the truck the sound is coming from? And is it a single tap or multiple? Did it make the noise before the alignment and tires?

I have the same noise. Just a single tap/knock type noise. Starts out happening about every 30 seconds, and gets less and less until it completely goes away when hot. On mine it's coming from somewhere on the right side of the exhaust. Verified this with a stethoscope. You should notice that it also does it for a little after the truck is shut off. There's a few other threads on here about the same noise. First time I heard it was after I put the Paxton on. I thought for sure that I phucked something up in the motor. But no.

FastRam said:
Have you tried to pin point where on the truck the sound is coming from? And is it a single tap or multiple? Did it make the noise before the alignment and tires?

It was not doing it before the tires and it is a single tap and it sounds like it is coming from somewhere under the truck somewhere near the transmission but it has been hard to pin point it when driving.

Last edited:
SANTEEN said:
I have the same noise. Just a single tap/knock type noise. Starts out happening about every 30 seconds, and gets less and less until it completely goes away when hot. On mine it's coming from somewhere on the right side of the exhaust. Verified this with a stethoscope. You should notice that it also does it for a little after the truck is shut off. There's a few other threads on here about the same noise. First time I heard it was after I put the Paxton on. I thought for sure that I phucked something up in the motor. But no.

I have heard on other cars havin a similar sound from their exhaust and that that may be where it is comming from I will continue to investigate Thanks guys.

unionmanofsteel said:
I have heard on other cars havin a similar sound from their exhaust and that that may be where it is comming from I will continue to investigate Thanks guys.
Remember, it's not the usual crackle and pop from the exhaust. It's just a single tap/knock sound. And it appears to be from the metal expanding and contracting. Someone posted up that they were able to get rid of it by tightening the exhaust manifold bolts.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back