Spyware and posted links:

Django

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to complain y'all....

But, once again today I had to spend about 40 minutes cleaning up my computer from all the spyware from website links posted on this forum.....

I guess it's my own damn fault for EVER clicking on the links posted. Nonetheless, my systems all come down like a fkn hammer as a result of about 1/2 the links posted here.... It's a real PITA.

Sorry to complain, but if you notice that there's more pop-ups resulting from YOUR logging on to a website, it's probably a bad idea to post that link.....

I mean hell, I like bodacious titties and beautiful women as much as the next guy... But not when I have to spend alot of extra time removing spyware as a result....

Thanks... rant over.

D

Try Mozilla. It's free, faster, and safer to surf.

In this day and age you MUST arm your computer for battle.

Browser: Firefox (Mac & PC...and free!)
Anti-Virus: TrendMicro (PC only; Mac's don't need it. Under $40.)
SpyWare: SpyBot (free!)

DONE.

spyware, like any other software, must be installed. surfing the net and clicking links wont get spyware on your pc.

AWDisuzu said:
spyware, like any other software, must be installed. surfing the net and clicking links wont get spyware on your pc.
Don't fool yourself.
My brother's laptop had enough spyware on it to completely fill up his 40GB HDD.
The main site he visited with the laptop: ESPN.com

AWDisuzu said:

I disgaree with you guys on this one........on so many levels I won't even begin to mention them......

I have all the latest virus and spyware protection........ Shit still gets thru....and you have to scrub it out'a there...

D

bs. you have most likely installed something with spyware in it. such as 99% of "free" software you get off the internet. i visit every link posted in this and many other forums and i do not have spyware or viruses.

of course, i know how to recognise if a website is trying to get me to install something fishy such as "plugins"

websites cannot install anything on your pc without your permission.

Kevan said:
Don't fool yourself.
My brother's laptop had enough spyware on it to completely fill up his 40GB HDD.
The main site he visited with the laptop: ESPN.com

exactly my point. spyware comes from installing free software, trial software, etc. not from visiting websites.

AWDisuzu said:
bs. you have most likely installed something with spyware in it. such as 99% of "free" software you get off the internet. i visit every link posted in this and many other forums and i do not have spyware or viruses.

of course, i know how to recognise if a website is trying to get me to install something fishy such as "plugins"

websites cannot install anything on your pc without your permission.
Sorry to break it to you, but you're living in a fantasy world if you believe that.

P2P's and 'freeware' or 'shareware' are guilty about 90% of the time. But you can also receive spyware stuff from some place as simple as MSNBC.com.
And with the quantity on there, it's sometimes more dangerous than you think. All those ads that load up? Those are all ready to take your basic (or advanced) information and track your movements across the website or even across the 'net. For weeks, months, or years.
All without you knowing.

BTW- If you have RealPlayer or any products from RealNetworks, REMOVE THEM IMMEDIATELY. They have spyware on there that the NSA would like to get ahold of. It's very, very, VERY nasty stuff.

Kevan said:
Sorry to break it to you, but you're living in a fantasy world if you believe that.

P2P's and 'freeware' or 'shareware' are guilty about 90% of the time. But you can also receive spyware stuff from some place as simple as MSNBC.com.
And with the quantity on there, it's sometimes more dangerous than you think. All those ads that load up? Those are all ready to take your basic (or advanced) information and track your movements across the website or even across the 'net. For weeks, months, or years.
All without you knowing.

BTW- If you have RealPlayer or any products from RealNetworks, REMOVE THEM IMMEDIATELY. They have spyware on there that the NSA would like to get ahold of. It's very, very, VERY nasty stuff.

Kevan, sometimes I just love you.........

D

Prof said:
Mozilla Foxfire is the solution.

Try it you will love it.
I just installed mozilla foxfire. I am having trouble logging into my ebay account with it though???

Wifey said:
I just installed mozilla foxfire. I am having trouble logging into my ebay account with it though???
It is always very useful to enter the correct password :rolleyes: :D ;)

Denise, there are some sites that Foxfire has a little difficulty with. My personal web site needs Internet explorer for instance. But you will love Foxfire.

Be sure to note the spell checker...which is super...and use "Stumble"...it is really interesting.

Last edited:
Prof said:
Denise, there are some sites that Foxfire has a little difficulty with. My personal web site needs Internet explorer for instance. But you will love Foxfire.

Be sure to note the spell checker...which is super...and use "Stumble"...it is really interesting.

There is a solution, within FireFox, for the issue you are having with your personal website Roy!

Just like Stumble (The greatest extension ever created!!) there is an extension or add-on, called IE Tabs. This extension allows you to open certain windows in a tab that "fools" the website or page into thinking that it is opening in Internet Explorer!! It works very well!

Tim, you gotta try FireFox! It really is worth the (very slight) trouble of installing and getting used to. Once you do, you will shudder every time someone says Internet Explorer! There, I just gave myself the chills! :D:D:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back