stiff shifting...????

gblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aloha...Is it the nature of the beast that the shifting is sort of stiff?

The feeling going from gear to gear is like you really have to push the shifter. Maybe it's the heavy duty gearbox....

It's not really an issue, but I just wonder..

Some guys have put ATF and said it really helps....any long term reports?

Mahalo from Maui

My truck runs great with the new engine....

Viper master/slave kit, CenterForce clutch and change trans fluid to syn ATF will make a big diff........throw in a B&M or X-Metal shifter for even better shifting...:rock:

shift

Aloha....Brand new clutch and slave..B&M shifter too...

all I need is the ATF????

which brand are people using?
any long term effects?

Bleed your fluid and make sure it is full!!!!

I am talking about the clutch slave system, (sorry).

shift

I bled my slave and everything works fine....the tranny has always been stiff...especially when cold (like my Dino)
truck has 18k miles on it..I think the ATF sounds like to way to go if it causes no long term issues

gblue said:

any long term effects?

I used Mobil 1

The best I think is redline:dontknow:

Put your shifter in neutral and hold it over between 1st and 2nd and let go of it. It should spring back between 3rd and 4th. Then move it over between 5th and 6th and let go again. It should again spring back between 3rd and 4th. If it does not do this and the shifter feels kinda sticky or stiff this is not right. There is a shift rail running from the shifter location forward to what looks like another shifter location where it comes in contact with the pieces that actually shift the transmission. What happens is there are 3 bushings that this rail ride in and they become scored due to what I think is lack of lubrication and this causes the rail to bind in the bushings. I had this same issue with my tranny along with the broken plastic shifter pads. The tranny will need to be disassembled and the bushings replaced. If this is the case make sure you get the bronze shift fork pads at the same time.

gblue said:

any long term effects?

I use Mobile 1....some Royal Purple and others............Chrysler will void your warranty (if you have any left) if you use ATF but the trans manufacturer recommends ATF....and it does shift better................and like Kenny said try bleeding too..cured my reverse engage problem..

I also forgot to say that you can try using ATF but I think its too late. It didnt help mine once I had the problem, I now am using the AMSOIL ATF synthetic.

gblue said:
I bled my slave and everything works fine....the tranny has always been stiff...especially when cold (like my Dino)
truck has 18k miles on it..I think the ATF sounds like to way to go if it causes no long term issues
How cold does your trans get in Maui ?

shift

Aloha..

my shifter works fine lining up a springing back
think I'll try the ATF...my Dino did a lot better with redline than 90 weight gear oil.....70 degrees is cold here....but after the car warms up the oil everything works bettah....

gregg

Sorry about the stiff shifting Greg. You want to make sure you have no air in your clutch system. You also want to make sure your shifter was installed correctly.

Where did you get the new engine?

patrick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back