Stock Oil Cooler Vs Aftermarket

Tincup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing the plumbing on my hot rod and was wondering if the stock oil cooler is the best way to go. Yes, it cools the oil, but it also heats the oil to whatever the engine temp is. Would an aftermarket finned cooler be better, it should dissipate the heat all the time through the fins especially when the truck is moving. Any opinions welcomed....

i run stock cooler on my turbo qc and it does fine in the texas heat

IMHO the stock unit is fine, I believe it may actually be the same one as the Gen 3 Viper. My oil temp stays right in line with the coolant temp and modern synthetic oil will not start breaking down at those temps.

If you're using a used one I would be concerned with if it coming off a vehicle that may have spun a bearing as all the material will be trapped inside the cooler.

IMHO the stock unit is fine, I believe it may actually be the same one as the Gen 3 Viper. My oil temp stays right in line with the coolant temp and modern synthetic oil will not start breaking down at those temps.

If you're using a used one I would be concerned with if it coming off a vehicle that may have spun a bearing as all the material will be trapped inside the cooler.

Thanks for the info.

I've been doing some research, and I found that the Ford Diesels use a similar Oil/water oil cooler. The coolers are known for leaking internally causing the oil and water to mix. (Don't know how many Dodges may have had the same problem) The fix seams to be going to an Air/Oil cooler mounted where it can get some air. I don't know about you, but the idea of my water and oil mixing gives me the chills. I think I'll use a frame mounted Air/Oil cooler just to be on the safe side....

Maybe i'm crazy but I believe our oil coolers are air cooled and use no water to cool them.

If you look close, you have 2 oil line and 2 coolant lines going into the cooler.

If you look close, you have 2 oil line and 2 coolant lines going into the cooler.

I changed the oil lines on it forever ago. For some reason I just remembered two lines. How about that. I was wrong again. Nothin new.

Maybe i'm crazy but I believe our oil coolers are air cooled and use no water to cool them.

Looks like you are crazy! Ours is not a cooler but rather an exchanger. The two fluids (oil/water) exchange temps between the two. It has a number of benefits over regular air cooler. Primarily it helps get your oil up to temp faster.

I changed the oil lines on it forever ago. For some reason I just remembered two lines. How about that. I was wrong again. Nothin new.

Looks like you are crazy! Ours is not a cooler but rather an exchanger. The two fluids (oil/water) exchange temps between the two. It has a number of benefits over regular air cooler. Primarily it helps get your oil up to temp faster.

That's been corrected.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back