Sunroof On A `04 RC

I am in the auto glass business, and just about once or twice a month I get a call from someone with a aftermarket sunroof that is leaking. I have to tell them there is nothing I can do to fix it. I highly recammend you DON'T cut a hole in the roof of your vehicle. If you get a situation where an aftermarket sunroof leaks, it will leak forever. Just something to think about.

Bill.

Begood said:
I am in the auto glass business, and just about once or twice a month I get a call from someone with a aftermarket sunroof that is leaking. I have to tell them there is nothing I can do to fix it. I highly recammend you DON'T cut a hole in the roof of your vehicle. If you get a situation where an aftermarket sunroof leaks, it will leak forever. Just something to think about.
Bill.

I'm in the car stereo/customizing business and haven't had one leak yet. (fingers crossed) Just pull out the 'ole jigsaw and go to town.

Check out the pics of my Probe GT....no problem...three years running!

aug20050120vf.jpg

Ya my parents ran a glass shop for 30 yrs and my pops installed 1000s of sunroofs, a leak is verry rare if done properly.. i had all my cars and trucks with sunroofs, all installed after i got them... Just make sure you can find a place that does good work maybe check out a few of there jobs first. you should be fine unless you get a hack job..

I talked to the Big Dogs at Inalfa, they advised NOT to do it.

"If this was a quad cab, no problem, but with it being a regular cab/standard cab there is really not much room to put a electric moonroof in there and still give
it a professional look. If this was a 1972 Cheyenne maybe we could give it
a shot" They advised against ruining a $50,000 truck .

Professional work is the only thing, if you think about it, its just metal and glass. proper welding and proper sealing and competent installer is the only requirement.
I'm sure its harder on todays rides since the metal is much more thin but it can still be done, its just that its custom work and many people running these shops open up a can and install, everythings a prefab. So the people are either afraid to attempt it or are too lazy to. A properly installed sun/moon/whatthehellever roof is somthing that should be considered custom work imo and should be installed by someone who has made altering cuts on the newer vehicles.

All in all, I say do it if its worth it to ya. I'm sure it can be done, just look around till you find someone confident in their own work and who will stand behind it with a warrenty of some sort.

When I bought my SRT, they were trying to get me to have them install a sunroof before I took delivery. Ofcourse they were going to have a thrid party handle the install. I thought about it for a moment and figured if it were messed u they would have to warranty it. But why would I want that headache? I had an 86 IROC as my first vehicle with T-tops and I remember that started to leak after a while. AND THAT WAS A FACTORY DEAL. I elect not to cut a hole in your roof, just my personal preference. Besides, I think I would rather a power sunroof if I were to have one. The pop up deal wouldn't cut it for me. Get it? CUT-IT? LOL

you can get electric that pop up and roll back all the way just like factory .. they just dont gointo the headliner .. i use to have on on my RC pickup back in the day .. worked like a dream .. its been in for 8 yrs now and no problems .. .. well except for once when i was 18 my buddie was standing up threw the sunroof and leaned back to hard on it and the glass poped out.. and smashed at 60mph .. it was the type of glass that poped up rolled all the way back and if you wanted you coudl just take it out... so the release mech didnt hold up to 100+pounds leanign on it lol.. expensive mistake lol the glass to replace was worth more than teh entire sunroof..

If ya need more air , why not just stick ya head out the window? beats cuttin a whole in the roof!:D

But if ya still want one, jsut call southern corn fed installers, make an appointment and I'll sharpen up the blade on the chainsaw, should take more than a few minutes, I think Lowes just got in a new shipment of plexiglass..................did you want it open or not? Gotta figure which screws to use:D

oh and guaranteeed not to leak..........................as long as you dont drive it in the rain.......

Thanks Silverback :rock: Yes i did have a sunroof installed in the truck...Yes Dodge tried in vain to get me not to...However I did it anyway and it came out awesome....There is only 1 that will fit the truck properly...I had the dealer do it and it cost me $1,200.00.. The sunroof is manufactured by a company in Michigan by the name of Solaire..It comes with a lifetime warranty against any leaks..If it does leak they will replace any damage caused by thier products...I had the Truck for 2 years and it rains like a Bitch up here....Not one problem and the install finished product looked better then factory...........Hope this helps.....!

BTW Roktman don't listen to everything the boneheads at Dodge tell you..In the book they still recomend 10 quarts of oil:eek: :eek: Also on a side note Dodge told me that there was no way a sunroof could be installed in the truck, they were wrong again....Oddly enough the following year it became a option in the trucks.............I was ahead of my time:rock: :rock: :rock:

Venom Power said:
When I bought my SRT, they were trying to get me to have them install a sunroof before I took delivery. Ofcourse they were going to have a thrid party handle the install. I thought about it for a moment and figured if it were messed u they would have to warranty it. But why would I want that headache? I had an 86 IROC as my first vehicle with T-tops and I remember that started to leak after a while. AND THAT WAS A FACTORY DEAL. I elect not to cut a hole in your roof, just my personal preference. Besides, I think I would rather a power sunroof if I were to have one. The pop up deal wouldn't cut it for me. Get it? CUT-IT? LOL

...btw the roof in the Probe GT pictured is electric, not "pop-up"...pics are of the install in progress.

TheSickness said:
Thanks Silverback :rock: Yes i did have a sunroof installed in the truck...Yes Dodge tried in vain to get me not to...However I did it anyway and it came out awesome....There is only 1 that will fit the truck properly...I had the dealer do it and it cost me $1,200.00.. The sunroof is manufactured by a company in Michigan by the name of Solaire..It comes with a lifetime warranty against any leaks..If it does leak they will replace any damage caused by thier products...I had the Truck for 2 years and it rains like a Bitch up here....Not one problem and the install finished product looked better then factory...........Hope this helps.....!

BTW Roktman don't listen to everything the boneheads at Dodge tell you..In the book they still recomend 10 quarts of oil:eek: :eek: Also on a side note Dodge told me that there was no way a sunroof could be installed in the truck, they were wrong again....Oddly enough the following year it became a option in the trucks.............I was ahead of my time:rock: :rock: :rock:
ThankSS Mikey.It was the sunroof mfg that told me that.I think I `ll do the Roe stuff and some tunes.

I went to the Webasto (Solaire) website to see the sunroof choices. They only show them for the QC. Does anyone make it for the RC's (spoiler type)? I may be interested in something that doesn't take up any headroom. Thanks.

SilvrSRT10 said:
I went to the Webasto (Solaire) website to see the sunroof choices. They only show them for the QC. Does anyone make it for the RC's (spoiler type)? I may be interested in something that doesn't take up any headroom. Thanks.

The electric roof I did in the Probe GT pictured in an earlier post was manufactured by Topline...I have done a few of these and have had no issues.:)

The Webasto factory is only about 15 miles from me. One of these days I will have to swing by there.

Bill.

Sickness- any chance of posting pics (interior/exterior) of the sunroof from your RC?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back