Third Brake Light ???

JR_PRO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb question but I need to change bulbs in my third brake light and I removed the two exterior screws and the third brake light seems to be stuck in there real tight...is there a screw or bolt on the inside of the cab under the headliner that holds the third brake light onto the cab? Or do I need to just pry on the outside of the third brake light with force so it will pop out? Just trying not to break or damage the light due to my ignorance of they how they attach to the cab.

Thanks!

NOTE: The Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) houses three bulbs. The center bulb is the CHMSL
bulb and illuminates through a red lens, while the two outboard bulbs are for the cargo lamps and illuminate
through clear lenses. The bulb types and service procedures are identical for all three of these bulbs.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the two screws that secure the CHMSL to
the rear cab roof header panel.
3. Pull the CHMSL lens and housing (1) away from
the header panel far enough to access the lamp
wiring and bulb sockets on the back of the lamp.
4. Firmly grasp the socket (3) on the back of the lamp
housing and rotate it counterclockwise about 30
degrees to unlock it.
5. Pull the socket and bulb straight out from the
keyed opening in the housing.
6. Pull the base of the bulb (2) straight out of the
socket.

its a tight pull, use a screwdriver with a thick rag over it and pop it out. thats what i did and it didnt damage anything

lukedovichak said:
its a tight pull, use a screwdriver with a thick rag over it and pop it out. thats what i did and it didnt damage anything

What he said.. But mine wasn't so hard to remove after te two screws came out. :hmmmm:Hmmmm..

The Third Brake light is a Non Servicable item on the SRT-10.
To correct non working light Simply replace the Truck.
The New Auto Makers Technology.

Or, they want you to bring it in for what should be simple things like that so they can charge like $384 labor + parts ($1 yourself at store, $29 dealer) and shop supplies, waste fees, etc.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back