Tonneau cover lock replacement?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jumpingjoe628, Aug 14, 2018.

Car Parts
  1. Jumpingjoe628

Jumpingjoe628 Full Access Member

So I’m looking to replace the tonneau cover lock on my truck since the the used car dealer either lost the key or the transport trucker lost it. The lock is also missing the inside retaining plastic to hold it clamped to the cover. I tried searching but it appears as though this part has long been discontinued. Every site that pops up with the part number says it’s no longer available. The lock I’m looking for is here https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5018117ab
    Any help with any type of close match or direct replacement would be great.

2. QuadFor4

QuadFor4 Full Access Member

I'm guessing that your truck has an aftermarket cover as the factory cover for these trucks did not come with a lock.

3. 099 FEVER

099 FEVER Member Supporting Member

Check the website for a hardware company www.southco.com. That's where I found the exact match to replace my lock. They even have the various spacers available. you can purchase though their distributer for your area. They will sell a single lock even though they deal with manufacturers.

4. Jumpingjoe628

I’m not exactly sure it’s a lock since I can move it freely 1/4 turn by hand. It doesn’t get caught on any tumbler pins. And it’s not a conventional Ace lock key, there’s no alignment slot for the key to line up with when inserting. I was going to make a key on my lathe and just grind out some notches so it grabs. But then noticed that the underside spacers aren’t there and the mechanism lifts right out without it. This truck has a full bed carpet that looks like he many I’ve seen in other trucks too. Not too sure if it’s a factory cover or not.

5. Jumpingjoe628

Thanks man, I’ll check them out.

6. beastmode1

beastmode1 Full Access Member

I agree none of our trucks came with a tail gate lock.

7. Jumpingjoe628

It's not a tail gate lock. On the tonneau cover (under the wing) there's a Southco tubular style flush mount lock. I actually made my own key and glued the broken plastic flange back together to make it work again. I'll be hard pressed to find the original style flanges but I did manage to find a source for the lock to have a proper key thanks to 009 Fever above.