Top 10 Vehicle Repairs That You Shouldn't Have to Pay For

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Venom Power, Apr 8, 2011.

Car Parts
  1. Venom Power

Venom Power Full Access Member

Basic car maintenance is easier than it looks, so the next time your motor needs a service or a simple repair, why not have a go yourself? Some quick fixes are so simple that it seems practically criminal for motorists to pay for them. Here are 10 easy home repairs/maintenance tasks will save you a bundle of cash - and you might even enjoy doing them.

1. Windshield washer fluid top-up
    Ever paid for screen wash during a service? Don't! Some repair shops charge a small fee to top-up the window washer fluid - but if you've already got a bottle at home then simply fill up the reservoir beforehand. It's usually only a few dollars but that adds up over the time you own the vehicle.

2. Changing a headlight/tail light/parking light bulbs
    This task is quite simple on the 10’s. Only three bolts hold the housings for the head lights. If you’re crafty enough you may be able to access the headlight bulbs without removing the housing altogether. The tail lights are easier to disassemble/assemble. Even with HID bulbs the only thing to remember is to NOT get your grimy fingerprints directly on the bulb glass during installation.

3. Plugs and wires
    Spark plugs and wires are cheap and easy to replace. Other thana the task of removing the air intake manifold, the wires are pop-on, pop-off items, but it's always best to replace one wire at a time, otherwise you can risk messing up the engine's firing order. Spark plugs can simply be removed and replaced with a wrench. Easy.

4. Oil and filter change
    This procedure is too easy for me to waste time explaining. Just make sure you buy the right filter, grade of oil and use the correct amount as specified by the manufacturer.

5. New battery
    Swapping batteries is surprisingly easy. Simply remove the cables from the terminals along with any bolts holding the battery in its tray and lift it out. Drop the new one in, reattach the cables and you're done. Just be careful not to put anything metal or conductive between the two terminals.

6. Replacement air filter Conventional air filters are housed in a plastic box in the engine bay, so all you need to do is open it, take the old filter element out and drop the new one in. Many 10 owners have replaced the OEM air box with a CAI. It just takes removing and cleaning before re-installation. For the most part it's painfully easy.

7. Minor scratch repair
    Small, light scratches can be buffed out of a car's bodywork with nothing more than some polish and elbow grease - removing the need for a costly bodywork repair. Why not do the rest of the bodywork while you're at it? Chances are you'll be amazed with the results.

8. Tire maintenance
    Changing a set of tires is best left to the professionals, but you can keep an eye on the condition of the rubber yourself. Use a tread depth indicator gauge (very cheap and widely available) to keep an eye on the amount of life the tires have left and check the pressures regularly. It's amazing how many people don't.

9. New wiper blades
    It sounds silly but wiper blades are another area that often goes unattended and left to the mechanics. Unclipping the old blades and refitting the new ones is hardly rocket science.

10. Engine's vitals
    They're not repairs as such, but keeping an eye on your engine's fluids can mean the difference between motoring harmony and a nasty repair bill. Don't wait for the shop to do it for you - keep a regular eye on the oil, coolant, brake fluid, tranny and power steering fluid levels. Check them once every week or so and your wallet and stress levels will remain healthy.

2. Troy's QC SRT

Troy's QC SRT Active Member Supporting Member

Haha funny...but I agree 100% I see so many people waste their hard earned coin on minor repairs that are way over priced.....

Oh and don't forget brakes......its really not hard to do....replacing the rotors are just as easy!

But I think thhe kicker for some besides having knowledge/common sense is.......TOOLS! I know I'm happy to buy a new tool that's needed for a different task..... Crap I have to break down today and buy me a truck jack....all this time I've been borrowing others or using my small jack lifting one side at a time to put my jack stands on!