TR6060 swap

VPRPWRD

VTCoA Ring Leader
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone had thought about or attempted a TR6060 swap in an SRT10 and if it would be beneficial or if the T56 is better suited to our application.

Just did some quick research and found this on ls1tech.com:

"This comparison of Magnum (left) and original T-56 input shafts highlights the Magnum's much larger bearing diameter and gear face width. What it doesn't clearly show is the larger diameter of the Magnum's 26-spline shaft. A 10-spline input won't be offered, so you may need to think about a new clutch disc. The length of input splines is also much greater on the Magnum in order to easily accommodate dual-disc clutch setups.

An updated version of the T56, this is the same transmission used in new Camaros and Corvettes. Revisions include larger input and output shafts, larger and stronger gears, an improved heat treatment process, a stronger case, double- and triple-cone synchronizers, laser-welded dog teeth, stronger shift forks, and shorter throws. The result is an astounding 700 lb-ft torque capacity.
Tremec also fixed the main complaint we had about the older T-56, namely gearing. On the old model, you had to choose between having a good set of First through Third ratios, or a good set of Fifth and Sixth ratios. Generally, we went with the 2.66 First, 1.78 Second, 1.30 Third, and tolerated the 0.74 Fifth and 0.50 Sixth gear ratios. Don't get us wrong, a 0.50 Sixth gear is great for meeting C.A.F.E. gas mileage standards, but it's far from a performance ratio. And while the Vette gearing would yield a more zippy 0.80 Fifth and 0.62 Sixth gear, the obligatory 2.97 First gear proved incredibly short, especially with 3.90 rear gearing. We, along with others, bitched and Tremec listened. The result is a blending of the best of both gear sets.

Apparently this trans can be purchased from Tremec but it is called a T56 magnum. Also a different clutch disc would be required as well as replacing the driveshaft, as Dan had already mentioned. Appears it would be a good upgrade but very expensive when it's all said and done.

MOPAR makes a kit that includes everything needed to swap the T-56 to the TR6060 the kit is for Viper cars however should be able to make it work with the trucks, just needs a different driveshaft and would have to make a crossmember.

Our T56 is different than the Viper car T56 and we have a bigger output shaft, tougher material gears with a different helical cut to them. IMO ours is as strong or stronger than a 6060 stock!!! A 6060 is better than all other T56s though.:D
It's an upgrade for Vettes, Camaros, Trans Ams, Cobras, and Viper Cars but not our Truck.:D

All good info, thanks for the input guys. We were rebuilding a 6060 out of a Challenger srt8 and it got me thinking if this was a worthwhile upgrade or not.

All good info, thanks for the input guys. We were rebuilding a 6060 out of a Challenger srt8 and it got me thinking if this was a worthwhile upgrade or not.

What happened to the one in the Chally?

What happened to the one in the Chally?

It was thoroughly abused, but it's one of those situations where you can't prove it and the owner insists he never beats the vehicle. With the trans. in gear the shifter moved like it was in neutral. I have no idea how someone can beat a car that bad.

It was thoroughly abused, but it's one of those situations where you can't prove it and the owner insists he never beats the vehicle. With the trans. in gear the shifter moved like it was in neutral. I have no idea how someone can beat a car that bad.

Was it a 6.1 or a 6.4?

What else was wrong or worn out with it?

How do the 6 speed Chally's run compared to our trucks?

Eat em for lunch!!! Even the first time they came out! I waxed that arse! Then at the track! If I'm not mistaken it ran consecutive 13.4s at 106
It was an SRT8 6.1 six speed. Now the 392 I have not had an encounter with. I'd say it's a solid 13.0 car factory:dontknow:

Eat em for lunch!!! Even the first time they came out! I waxed that arse! Then at the track! If I'm not mistaken it ran consecutive 13.4s at 106
It was an SRT8 6.1 six speed. Now the 392 I have not had an encounter with. I'd say it's a solid 13.0 car factory:dontknow:

Initially Mopar claimed 12.4's at Englishtown. The 5.0 Mustangs are 11 second cars. All Corvettes run 12's or better. But you and I both know that what the magazines say and what happens in Mexico are two very different things. I ran a 6.1 awhile back and it was a tasty kill. Just wondered what Andy's impressions were since he may have had the chance to drive them.

Initially Mopar claimed 12.4's at Englishtown. The 5.0 Mustangs are 11 second cars. All Corvettes run 12's or better. But you and I both know that what the magazines say and what happens in Mexico are two very different things. I ran a 6.1 awhile back and it was a tasty kill. Just wondered what Andy's impressions were since he may have had the chance to drive them.

Mexico really is different for sure as I have my 5500 lbs moving already! I'm talking at the track though and mostly because they are heavy beasts! There's video of me running a LS2 Auto Vette and all 5 times he was 12.9.-13.1. This is in 2200 DA and 95* temps. Minimal wheelspin as well

How do the 6 speed Chally's run compared to our trucks?

a 392 6 speed with a good driver would be tough for a stock 10. 6.1 cars are fun to beat up on though, they never expect it from a truck.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back