Trainman's New Train

Trainman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you may know why I am the trainman, and I just purchased a live steam engine I have been wanting for the last 10 years since I discovered it existed. My favorite engine is the New York Central 4-6-4 Hudson. One of the most famous steam engines ever made. My main interest in collecting for the past 20 years has been a focus on that particular style of engine. I have loved model trains my whole life and been actively collecting since I got out of the Navy in 1968. I probably have close to 2,000 items in my train collection. I have both pre-war and post-war toy trains, mostly Lionel and American Flyer, but lots of modern makers like MTH and Kline as well as Scale Brass. Most of my trains are O gauge, but also lots of S gauge , Standard Gauge and G or number 1 Gauge.

In regards to the NYC Hudson, I have several in S gauge ( 1/64 scale American Flyer), I have 13 in #1 Gauge (1/29 and 1/32 scale) and 114 in O gauge (1/48 scale). The live steam engine is a 3/4" scale (1/16) where 3/4" equals 1 foot. This model is 6' long and 12" high. It actually runs on coal and water. It is a one of a kind model that was actually built by a New York Central machinist from the actual real engine plans. The engine was started in the mid-1940's and was finished in the mid 1960's, after which the gentleman passed away. The engine was excellent but lacking most of the super detailing that is on the engine today. The gentleman that I purchased the engine from was a professional artist with a tremendous eye for detail and proportion. He acquired the engine in 1990 and spent the next 20 years and $43,000 in brass detailing making this model an exact replica of a NYC J1E Hudson. Every rivet, bolt, valve, pipe, lubricator, linkage, Etc is included on this unbelievable model. I have been collecting for almost 50 years and this is the best single model I have ever seen in any scale.

I sent Brad a few pictures that he will post up soon. I hope this is not too boring. Enjoy

:rock::rock::rock:

Sounds like it found a good home. Now all you need to do is lay some track around your house.

Here are the pictures:

2015120795153330_zps82tax5op.jpg

20160225_085457_zpsltedgr4p.jpg

20151207_153205_zpsqrt49ael.jpg

2015120595222533_zpskuit2r77.jpg

2015120595222553_zpsh55zrtiy.jpg

that is awesome:rock::rock::rock:

and she works???

that is awesome:rock::rock::rock:

and she works???

Yes a fully functioning , coal burning steam engine. However, I do not have the knowledge to run a steam engine, and with all of the special detailing added, I do not want to damage or ruin anything. I will keep it in perfect condition for display purposes.

You don't have to answer. But I'm curious as to the value of the train you just purchased. Very impressive to say the least!!

The gentleman I purchased the train from paid $20,000 in 1990. He then spent the next 20 years and $43,000 in detailing (brass piping, fittings, pumps, valves, rivet detail, turbines, etc), not counting any of his labor. I had contacted several live steam custom builders as to an estimate of what a model like this would cost to create today ( estimates were between $200,000-250,000), strictly based on time and labor. There is so much extra detail that must be seen in person, that it is difficult to express here. I have been collecting nearly 50 years and this is the single best model of any scale I have ever seen. The sad fact is that the New York Central railroad did not preserve a single Hudson engine, all were scraped in the 50's and 60's. This model is the single best, most accurate J1E Hudson and a very important part of NYC history. I developed a tremendous friendship with the previous owner and he wanted me to preserve this. He sold this to me at a very reasonable price, to me it is priceless. I hope to enjoy it for many years to come. It should also be noted that the original builder, who was a machinist for the NYC railroad, built this from NYC plans, spending over 20 years, from the mid 1940's to the mid 1960's to get it running and in the form where my friend bought it in 1990. So two gentlemen have 40 years of their lives devoted to this one model, simply incredible. Hope this gives you an idea of the value of this engine to me.

The gentleman I purchased the train from paid $20,000 in 1990. He then spent the next 20 years and $43,000 in detailing (brass piping, fittings, pumps, valves, rivet detail, turbines, etc), not counting any of his labor. I had contacted several live steam custom builders as to an estimate of what a model like this would cost to create today ( estimates were between $200,000-250,000), strictly based on time and labor. There is so much extra detail that must be seen in person, that it is difficult to express here. I have been collecting nearly 50 years and this is the single best model of any scale I have ever seen. The sad fact is that the New York Central railroad did not preserve a single Hudson engine, all were scraped in the 50's and 60's. This model is the single best, most accurate J1E Hudson and a very important part of NYC history. I developed a tremendous friendship with the previous owner and he wanted me to preserve this. He sold this to me at a very reasonable price, to me it is priceless. I hope to enjoy it for many years to come. It should also be noted that the original builder, who was a machinist for the NYC railroad, built this from NYC plans, spending over 20 years, from the mid 1940's to the mid 1960's to get it running and in the form where my friend bought it in 1990. So two gentlemen have 40 years of their lives devoted to this one model, simply incredible. Hope this gives you an idea of the value of this engine to me.

That is very impressive!!
The passion people have for this is beyond extraordinary!!
Thank you for sharing it with us!!

Last edited:
Jerry was a friend to many of us here at VTCoA. I never saw this thread before and found it very interesting!!

Such passion the Trainman had for his trains!

What a beautiful model this is with much history.

Jerry was a friend to many of us here at VTCoA. I never saw this thread before and found it very interesting!!

Such passion the Trainman had for his trains!

What a beautiful model this is with much history.
I was very surprised years ago the amount of people tha collected trans and had massive set ups to display .. it is a very expensive hobby ..

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back