TSB- Camshaft Sprocket Bolt Torque!!!!!!!!

Rice Eater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I know I am new to this forum so please excuse me if this has already been posted. So I have read all the threads I could find regarding tightening the crank/harmonic balancer pulley nut... so I wanted to be sure mine was tight. I took my truck to a friend who has a shop to install my new flywheel/clutch pkg I got from Roe. I told them to also check that nut to make sure its torqued to spec. Well when I picked it up he said its not that nut that is the biggest issue with the 04's. He took me to a computer and showed me how he looks up TSB's and sure enough for the 04 it has one that says Camshaft Sproket Bolt Torque. If this is the same thing let me know but my guy said this is way more involved and requires removal of some parts on the front of the engine to get at it.

He printed me out the TSB to take w/ me. It basically says the problem is: "The camshaft sprocket retaining bolts on your vehicle may not have been properly tightened. A loose camshaft sprocket bolt could fall off and cause significant engine damage!"

It goes on to say DC will repair the vehicle free of charge (parts and labor) either at a dealer or if you had it done already they will reimburse you.

So is this news to you all or did you know about this one already?

By the way the flywheel clutch pkg is totally awesome and a huge seat of the pants improvement in accleeration. Does ya'llls clutches releas high in the last quarter of the entire stretch the clutch pedal has?

I had the cam bolt TSB performed on my truck a couple months after getting it in March '04. But just recently in March I broke a rod at the Texas mile and when I tore down the engine, the bolt on the cam was three turns out and loose enough to fall out in the next few miles:mad: . This bolt really need somekind of locking plate like Chevy's use or lots of loctite(there was none on it when I took it out).
Does the TSB say to just torque it down or use something to lock it down? I assumed that when the TSB was done, that I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.
Taylor

no problem on the re-post!

Yeah, some 04's and even early 05's Had the camshaft sprocket problem. Definitely check and make sure yours is in ok shape.

The front end does not have to be torn apart to check / tighten it. You can do it with a socket and a torque wrench.

Welcome to the club!

-Red

RedSrt007 said:

Yeah, some 04's and even early 05's Had the camshaft sprocket problem. Definitely check and make sure yours is in ok shape.

The front end does not have to be torn apart to check / tighten it. You can do it with a socket and a torque wrench.

Welcome to the club!

-Red
I think you have that confused with the loose balancer bolt. The balancer bolt is easy to tighten and has been a common problem. The camshaft sprocket bolts are under the front timing cover. That's about a 6 hour job. That was also just the early 04 models.

RedSrt007 said:

Welcome to the club!

-Red
How on earth do you get to the camshaft bolt without pulling the timing chain cover? Are you thinking of the crankshaft bolt?

Stingray said:
I think you have that confused with the loose balancer bolt. The balancer bolt is easy to tighten and has been a common problem. The camshaft sprocket bolts are under the front timing cover. That's about a 6 hour job. That was also just the early 04 models.

you are correct, i'm sorry...crankshaft, not camshaft. My eyes read things faster then my mind digests it! :dontknow: :D

Hey Riceater, anyone?

Rice Eater said:
Ok so I know I am new to this forum so please excuse me if this has already been posted. So I have read all the threads I could find regarding tightening the crank/harmonic balancer pulley nut... so I wanted to be sure mine was tight. I took my truck to a friend who has a shop to install my new flywheel/clutch pkg I got from Roe. I told them to also check that nut to make sure its torqued to spec. Well when I picked it up he said its not that nut that is the biggest issue with the 04's. He took me to a computer and showed me how he looks up TSB's and sure enough for the 04 it has one that says Camshaft Sproket Bolt Torque. If this is the same thing let me know but my guy said this is way more involved and requires removal of some parts on the front of the engine to get at it.

He printed me out the TSB to take w/ me. It basically says the problem is: "The camshaft sprocket retaining bolts on your vehicle may not have been properly tightened. A loose camshaft sprocket bolt could fall off and cause significant engine damage!"

It goes on to say DC will repair the vehicle free of charge (parts and labor) either at a dealer or if you had it done already they will reimburse you.

So is this news to you all or did you know about this one already?

By the way the flywheel clutch pkg is totally awesome and a huge seat of the pants improvement in accleeration. Does ya'llls clutches releas high in the last quarter of the entire stretch the clutch pedal has?

What VIN's are affected by the TSB for the CAMshaft bolts?
-J

Bravo said:
What VIN's are affected by the TSB for the CAMshaft bolts?
-J
There aren't any VIN break points. But it's trucks built through 01/31/04. If you think yours might be included you can either check the recall sticky at the top of this section or PM me your VIN.

They didn't do what they said

Dealer in San Diego did my recall and there was no mention of Nylock bolts or locktite in the recall. I asked that Locktite be used and they said Ok we'll do it, 3500 miles later when we tore the engine down there was no threadlocker used on the bolts.

thanks for the info guys. Having bought this truck used from a dealer I'm not sure if it was done on this truck...guess I'll call the dealer and have them look it up.

After hearing others members quotes on how they have re tightened this bolt several times. I think I will have my dealer check it everytime I happen to bring it in. After lowering it I cant get under it anymore.

patrick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back