Unreleased B&M Shifter Review / Ratings !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSrt007

Reaction score
B&M Shifter Review:

Some of you are familiar that there are a few shifters out there for the SRT-10 Trucks, but how do they really compare? We’re about to find out! With the recent installation of the X-metal engineering shifter kit, there was one more to try - the new (Unreleased)B&M performance shifter. www.VTCOA.com has the exclusive privilege of being the first to give our members a sneak-peak of the future release B&M shifter.

Let’s start with a quick history lesson about B&M:

Through the 1960s, B&M became one of the dominant forces in racing automatic transmissions. In 1965, Frank Cannon made the first 200 MPH Top Fuel run in history using a B&M TorkMaster Transmission at Long Beach, California. Don Prudhomme's first solo effort was in the B&M owned and sponsored TorkMaster car. In 1969 B&M teamed up with Andy Granatelli and Plymouth, and developed the only automatic transmission ever for Indy Car racing. B&M also teamed up with Chrysler and developed the torque converter for the Hemi that dominated Super Stock racing in the late 1960s. The company was the first to create what is known now as a high stall, speed racing torque converter, and was the first to develop the forerunner of today's racing automatic shifters.

By 1970, B&M was very well respected in the aftermarket and by the large automobile manufacturers. By then, B&M had done development work and research programs for Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Ford, Plymouth, Dodge, AMC and Ferrari; and established itself as the market leader in R&D, as well as product quality in the area of racing transmission technology.

Throughout the decades, B&M's deep-rooted involvement in racing is what has helped B&M consistently improve the breed in street performance products. Yet B&M isn't resting on its past achievements. From the 1980s through the 1990s, and into the new millennium, B&M has introduced literally hundreds of new shifters, transmissions and hardcore racing related products, and is constantly developing new technology.

B&M is also a proud supplier to many current NHRA World Champions, as well as SCCA road course racers worldwide. Today, B&M is the world's largest supplier of performance shifters to OEMs and tuners in the United States and Europe.

OK, now back to the shifter:

After placing an order with B&M, I was able to contact Mark Rogers, the engineer who designed the Ram SRT-10 shifter. We had a few lengthy conversations about the design of the shifter and what exactly went into the process of producing it. Mark first explained why the design was brought up with such a limited production vehicle; and what design and performance they were looking to achieve out of the shifter. He explained that B&M was well aware that this vehicle is a limited production, and B&M had to weigh out the pros and cons. Mark explained that B&M was well aware of the Ram SRT-10 community, how performance oriented the owners were, and then realized there was a market for it.

Mark, being a performance junkie, realized how sloppy the factory shifter was and saw the need for a change in design. He explained how the goal was to produce a shifter that was OEM oriented, but had the performance hidden underneath the shifter boot!

100_3654.jpg

100_3655-500.jpg

100_3656-500.jpg

100_3657-500.jpg

100_3659-500.jpg

Shifter Specifications:

As for specifications, I interviewed Mark on what went into the B&M shifter kit. They start off with CNC machined T6-6061 aluminum base, which then gets anodized in the “B&M Blue”. At the heart of the shifter is a 303 stainless stick, which pivots on a nylon pivot ball lubricated with long lasting grease.

What makes the B&M engineered for precision shifts is the high rate compression springs? There are a total of 4 compression springs (2 within 2 outer sets) on the west and east side of the shifter. The 4 compression springs sit on top of the shifter shaft that is then enclosed inside the base. The high compression springs makes the B&M so accurate on those troublesome 2-3 shifts, because of the firm, self-centering springs.

The shifter throw has been reduced and gives you 4 position height adjustments to suite your comfort needs. Mark mentioned that the upper stick, which bolts to the base, was originally made out of steel, but then redesigned and made out of 2024 aluminum for lighter weight; this helps for weight balance and puts less leverage on the compression springs. The shifter is then anodized in a black finish, stamped with the B&M logo, and ready for the factory shifter ball to be reinstalled on its threaded shaft.

Included is a shifter boot to replace the factory boot, which makes this kit truly complete.

100_3660-500.jpg

100_3662-500.jpg

100_3664-500.jpg

100_3671-500.jpg

100_3672-500.jpg

100_3674-500.jpg

100_3673-500.jpg

100_3675-500.jpg

100_3676-500.jpg

100_3677-500.jpg

100_3751-500.jpg

100_3752-500.jpg

100_3753-500.jpg

100_3754-500.jpg

100_3755-500.jpg

100_3757-500.jpg

Installation:

B&M included a nice instruction sheet on how to install there performance shifter (which includes pictures). Just in-case, here is a summed-up version

Remove Center Console (screws under rubber cup-holder insert)
Remove Rubber/plastic flap
Remove the 4 Shifter Plate bolts
Remove shifter base
Install Gasket
Reinstall in reverse order!
Install Shifter handle to desired position
Install Factory shift ball
Simple..!

100_3658-500.jpg

100_3679-500.jpg

100_3680-500.jpg

100_3681-500.jpg

100_3763-500.jpg

100_3764-500.jpg

100_3767-500.jpg

Out for the test drive:

After the installation, I was ready to take it out for a spin. At first glance it had a very factory look to it, besides the anodized black shifter, and the B&M engraving on the side. The position of the ball was very close, if not the same as the factory Hurst location. I noticed right away that the tension (left-to-right) was very firm, and the compression springs were doing what they were designed for. Once out on the road, as with all aftermarket performance shifters, there was some drivetrain noise resonating from the shifter; not enough to bother me in any way. As I hammered through the gears, I noticed the 2-3 gear shifting was a big improvement over stock, and a mis-shifting was far from happening. If there were a little more tension (top-to-bottom movement) it would greatly help with the ‘precise feeling’, but all in all, I think the design Mark devoted to the shifter was very good for a commercial production-type shifter. I was definitely surprised.

Ratings

Customer Service - 10 / 10
Ordering, Shipping, Handling - 9 / 10
Installation Material/Instruction (for the do-it-yourself-ers) - 9 / 10
Quality / Craftsmanship - 8 / 10
Drivability and Comfort - 9 / 10
Performance - 8/10 (currently - updates will follow)
Overall Value - 9/10

* Shifter will be released from B&M in approxamitely 3-4 weeks

Thank You

Patrick

Last edited:
Thanks for the time and effort in making these reviews, it really helps us out!! So...how does it compare to the x-metal shifter? I'm very tempted to purchase one of these shifters, even though I shouldnt.

Last edited:
Dave T(BADVENM) said:
So...how does it compare to the x-metal shifter? I'm very tempted to purchase one of these shifters, even though I shouldnt.

Questions and Answers:

So you say “Alright Patrick, you have tried X-metal Gen IV, you have tried the Factory shifter, and you have tried B&M, now which one is better??â€

First, let’s cut the factory shifter out of the equation - it isn’t worth even discussing.

X-Metal vs B&M - here are my thoughts….it is very difficult to compare the two shifters, as they are very different, but yet serve the same purpose. The decision really comes down to your driving style.

Are you an aggressive driver that is looking for VERY precise shift points and willing to slightly compromise the ease of drivability? Then the X-Metal is for you!

Are you a driver who likes the factory feel and appearance, but wants some performance discreetly added in there? Then the B&M is for you!

As with everything in life, there are trade-offs, and this is clearly one of those choices. The X-metal shifter consists of many very strong progressive springs located in all directions, where the B&M shifter is not as aggressive (spring-rate wise) and contains 4 total. The B&M has the Factory/Stock appearance, where the X-Metal looks like you’re about to shred the tired off your rims any second! The noise is equally alike with both shifters while driving, but the X-Metal is noticeably louder while shifting due to the detents and “lock-and-drop†mechanism.

In both manufacturing and drivability, these shifters are clearly two different animals. The decision really depends on the drivers needs and requirements….

Hopefully I helped, If not, Please PM me for further details

Thanks

Patrick

Another great write up Red! Good job.

I would love to hear from somebody whom has the gen 1 xmetal and compares that to the B&M and Xmetal gen 4.

Stock is crap and has to go!

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
Another great write up Red! Good job.

I would love to hear from somebody whom has the gen 1 xmetal and compares that to the B&M and Xmetal gen 4.

Stock is crap and has to go!

patrick

I have all 3, Gen 1, B&M, amd Gen4, so ask away :)

Patrick

That helps alot. For me, its about taking the truck out once and a while and looking for someone to run (hard to do in a small town). When I do get to the track, I dont want to waste a run on a missed shift so for me its sounds like the x-metal is the way to go. Nothing makes me pissed more then getting a good launch only to fu#k it up on a shift!! Now, could you review some tires and rims for racing :)

So for normal days and better shifting, and for the ones wanting to spend a few less bucks the gen 1 x metal or the B&M?

And for the ones wanting the BEST in performance the Gen IV?

Stinker said:
So for normal days and better shifting, and for the ones wanting to spend a few less bucks the gen 1 x metal or the B&M?

And for the ones wanting the BEST in performance the Gen IV?

Between the Gen1 and the B&M, my opinion?? The B&M

and the ones wanting the old hot-rod, guaranteed to nail the gears, slamming the shifter, loud clicks and having a blast??? my opinion?? The Gen IV

:burnout:

Patrick

Last edited:
Hey Patrick,

Outstanding work and we all thank you for your diligence and concise reporting...

I was hoping you'd elaborate on the noise factors using Gen IV.....

1)You mentioned "loud clicks" I presume thats while shifting.....please describe this further.

2) How is the tranferrance of gearbox noise as it vibrates through the stick and into the cab?

3) Guys have stated that with the Gen 1 X Metal that they actually still missed third gear from time to time.... Can you really bang third consistently without a miss?

Thanks again....

SD

RedSrt007 said:
Between the Gen1 and the B&M, my opinion?? The B&M hands down....

Patrick

Wow that surprises me!!!

The only thing I dont like about the gen 1, it never fit with my console correctly. I ended up leaving some of the console bolts loose. Otherwise though, the shifter was way better than the stocker.

I believe the gen 1 first runs were with a b&m base.

patrick

I have to say...Very well done Patrick...Being objective considering who is involved must have been difficult. Nice work bud.

Patrick..Great job on the reviews of both shifters. Its really helpful to have comparisons of different products, and these reviews are a great addition to this site. Since alot of these guys are taking their trucks to the track, it would be interesting to compare what happens at the track when you add a new product. IE: "before new kanuter valve install I ran a 14.0, after install, I ran a 12.0". I realize you may not want to beat the piss out of your truck this way, but its just a thought.
What was the price on the B+M?..I think someone mentioned around $300.00?

Silent D said:
Hey Patrick,

Outstanding work and we all thank you for your diligence and concise reporting...

I was hoping you'd elaborate on the noise factors using Gen IV.....

1)You mentioned "loud clicks" I presume thats while shifting.....please describe this further.

2) How is the tranferrance of gearbox noise as it vibrates through the stick and into the cab?

3) Guys have stated that with the Gen 1 X Metal that they actually still missed third gear from time to time.... Can you really bang third consistently without a miss?

Thanks again....

SD

SilentD

1) Correct, the Gen4 has 'detents' which make you aware that you are in the specific gear. So once the shifter handle is placed in the correct gear, you will hear and feel and 'click'. The best example I can think of, is when you press your window switch to roll down the window, it has some preload until you get to the point where it "clicks" and then begins to roll down. Hopefully that makes sense.

2) As for the transfer of noise from the gearbox, (not sure if your talking about the Gen 4 or the B&M) but they both resonate the same amount of noise level; it is surprisingly not bad. The noise level in the cab will increase in volume as the shifter is placed into the higher gears (5th, 6th,), I would say fairly comparable to then Gen1, but I never got the noise everyone spoke about from the gen1 either :dontknow:

3) Correct, I was one that still would miss 3rd with the Gen1 also. With this shifter, the spring tension and load is about 5x greater then the Gen1. when leaving 2nd gear and going to 3rd, the spring force you to go to the correct path. Haven't missed 3rd yet (many 6k rpm runs), but if I do I will post immediately.

Hope this helps!

Patrick

Last edited:
mauiSRT/10 said:
Wow that surprises me!!!

The only thing I dont like about the gen 1, it never fit with my console correctly. I ended up leaving some of the console bolts loose. Otherwise though, the shifter was way better than the stocker.

I believe the gen 1 first runs were with a b&m base.

patrick

Correct, the Gen1 did use the B&M base, but both shifters fit the console and do not make contact in all gears.

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back