Weird Noise

ccfeyh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This morning, I had a few weird things go on in the truck when I started it, most I can kiss of to the fact that it was 23 degrees, but one I have no idea. Like trying to shift was like trying to stir a bucket of honey with a boat oar.

After I started the truck, I heard this weird chattering sound coming out from what seemed like the dash. I've heard it before but only when it's really cold outside. I never heard this noise when the temps are in some kind of normal range, seems like it only happens when it gets into the 20's or lower.

Anyone else ever had this noise?

In cold temps the tranny fluid gets real thick. Once it warms up it should shift like normal.

Bill.

Many folks have changed out the original yucky trans fluid for some synthetic ATF. Makes cold shifting much better and it's recommended by T-56 builders.

SilvrSRT10 said:
Many folks have changed out the original yucky trans fluid for some synthetic ATF. Makes cold shifting much better and it's recommended by T-56 builders.
Yep...helped mine.

I have no problem with the shifter, it's kinda stiff, but it's fine in a couple minutes.

The noise was not the blower, was'nt turned on. It's a chattering sound, almost like a solennoid under the dash switching on and off real fast. Goes off for about 15 seconds, then stops and you may not hear it again for months or maybe the next day. Only happens after a cold start first time in the morning, nerver happens again after initial startup of the day and only happens when it's real cold outside.

When you first hear it, it scares the crap out of you, it's pretty loud. Everything on the truck is working perfectly, just this weird sound on cold mornings.

Last edited:
ahhhh...certain oil filters will make a whining noise on start up as the oil starts flowing,can't remember which ones though. try the search button;)

Does it sound like a fast rattling?? I have a very similar sound that happens once in awhile when the truck is cold. Dealership could never hear/find the problem. Is this what you hear???

5_0_BAIT said:
Does it sound like a fast rattling?? I have a very similar sound that happens once in awhile when the truck is cold. Dealership could never hear/find the problem. Is this what you hear???

That's the beast, only when the truck is real cold, like after sitting all night and the temps are below 30 degrees.

my 10 doesn't do it, but i had an 04 hemi qc. similar situation. could only hear the noise when it was very cold (lived in west virginia at the time). i was told i was "fuel pump solenoid" and that it was normal. hope it helps.

maybe it's the icecycles being sucked into the intake---we don't have that problem in Florida:)

VIPR PWR said:
maybe it's the icecycles being sucked into the intake---we don't have that problem in Florida:)

WE only have this problem here in the Desert about two months out of the year, other times we have kids out cooking eggs on the pavement when it gets over 112.

Plus sometimes in early January, we get to see the cactus and Joshua Trees covered in about 3-4 feet of snow.

I need to move SOUTH

Wish I could help but I have never noticed that type of noise.
FYI - It was down to 10 degrees last night and I did not have any such noise when I started it this morning.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back