What is a Viper Tech?/ Rebuild Manuals?

nycstev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see quite a few people rebuilding their own engines. Are you guys Viper techs? This seems to be a big deal at every Dodge dealer I go to. They say
" oh no we can't touch that engine because we do not have a certified Viper tech here". WTF is the big deal? I have rebuilt around 3 or 4 in my lifetime and they always worked great and lasted.. I just got manuals and did everything to spec. Also are their any rebuild/ hot rodding books published for these engines.
The only thing stopping me from doing my own engine is the lack of space.:mad:

Last edited:
most rebuilds are just shipped out to Arrow, the techs arent allowed to build them. If I wanted my tech down here to build it it would be in his ow shop so to speak. just send it to arrow and tell them what you want...thats where doms went, i would say it has faired well

Only certain dealers send there techs to school,If they sell the viper they have to have techs but the dealer pays for training and we know how cheap these bastards can be, they did mine out here schaumburg dodge new crank warranty, but I am doing my own this winter. Get the Chrysler service manual chiltons doesn't have everything in it. I orderd the same one they used to put ours together. Just do exactly what it says and do not skip a step. This will be my 1st viper motor but don't rush and don't assume and things should go together good. I work on alot more complicated motors everyday so then this so I am sure I can figure it out.Or spend 7g's and send it to someone.

My local dealer has a so-called "Viper-tech"

Had to threaten him to get him to take out the extra oil he put in my engine

He put in 11qts when I insisted before it ever went in to use ONLY 8.5

AND he never even checked the dipstick !

Don't think that just because they are called "Viper techs" that they know anything.

HOT RAM said:

Don't think that just because they are called "Viper techs" that they know anything.
I think that goes for just about everything. I was a little leary about there viper tech but then I did some checking and he goes from dodge dealer to dealer and they pay him to do it. SO I guess it is more of a crap shoot when someone works on your stuff. took them almost amonth to replace my crank.
I only take my stuff to the dealer for warrenty stuff. anything else I do myself or my buddy helps me. Anyone interested in comming to chi town we'll open a shop?

HOT RAM said:

Amen to that Nelson, they did the same to my truck:( Viper Tech...............

Piffle

In order to be a Viper cert tech they have to go to a special Chysler school. They have to tear down and rebuild the Viper engines several times plus classroom instruction.

That said, you have to remember these Viper techs are people and some people just dont care. Fortunely my dealer has a very competent Viper tech that is good at what he does. This guy is big into building Mopar engines and has a great reputation around here for being the Mopar guru..

HOT RAM said:

Hold the Phone we only need 8.5 qrts of OIL?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back