What tire pressure are your guys running

I run 42 or at least that's what is shows inside the door.

Guys you should be running what the manufacturer has posted on the door except for the track lower the rear down to about 14-16lbs. My QC says 38 and that's where I run. Less or more and you'll wear the tires wrong and the trucks handling will be off. I'd say between 36-40lbs should be good and remember that the hot to cold we've been having will drop pressures quick, so this is a good thread to remember to check your tires.:D

No you should still use what's on the door. The tire only claims the MAX pressure you should run as well as the weight each tire is safely able to support. Too much pressure and you'll be wearing the middle of the tire and not enough you'll be wearing the inner and outer side of the tire. NOt to mention the handling difference. You bump it to max pressure if you are hauling a heavy load or pulling a trailer.:D

Now if you switch to 20s or less throw those rules out the window. You would need to use the pressure that a truck with those wheels was recommending.

viperhauler said:
uhhhh...correct me if i'm wrong...but...if you don't use oem tires, should you not use what's stated on the tire?

The tire only tells the max pressure which is 50 on the OEMS...at this pressure it wont be safe on wet roads and will wear the middle tread. The pressure on the door was determined thru testing...

VENOMOUS1 said:
You bump it to max pressure if you are hauling a heavy load or pulling a trailer.:D
ahh...then i'm good to go...:D

thanks...i learned something today...
;)
i suppose that takes into account the weight of the vehicle, and people, and all that bs, and gives it a pressure rating based on those handling characteristics:dontknow:

makes sense to me...

Basically it boils down to the weight load per tire. The factory determined the wieght ratio front to rear then the amount on each corner of the vehicle then determines ( based on tire and wheel size) the proper air pressure for handling, traction and response. Some vehicles will have a staggered pressure front to rear. Most will never know as they rely on a shop to check this and they are not usually accurate. The average tire shop, big names included, will put a new tire on, air it up , balance it and install it without ever checking the door sticker to see what the pressure should be at.:mad:

VENOMOUS1 said:
Guys you should be running what the manufacturer has posted on the door except for the track lower the rear down to about 14-16lbs. My QC says 38 and that's where I run. Less or more and you'll wear the tires wrong and the trucks handling will be off. I'd say between 36-40lbs should be good and remember that the hot to cold we've been having will drop pressures quick, so this is a good thread to remember to check your tires.:D
i was sent a new sticker to put on the door....38lbs.

this thread reminded me of a question i was gonna ask about that door sticker for tire pressures....my truck says it's supposed to have 35 psi but the tires sizes listed are 245/70 17s. and i dont have an owners manual with it to look it up...

my 98 sst is the same way, it lists 16 inch rims on the door sticker but came from the factory with 17s....

VENOMOUS1 said:
npe viperhauler, this man is very correct,

now where you will change that is on heavy loads, or depending on your driving,

but thats where to start at, from there you adjust it to your driving style and so on.

its suggested you run that, some folks like you , dont wiegh much, but others say like chub or nelson that are upwards up 300lbs will change the alignment and tire wear believe it or not and you can adjust things to suit your tire wear

yakdick said:
this thread reminded me of a question i was gonna ask about that door sticker for tire pressures....my truck says it's supposed to have 35 psi but the tires sizes listed are 245/70 17s. and i dont have an owners manual with it to look it up...

my 98 sst is the same way, it lists 16 inch rims on the door sticker but came from the factory with 17s....

Usually it will list the optional wheels sizes and their pressures. :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back