What weight oil

chargerman426

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to change the oil in my 04 Ram but I'm seeing different things about what weight this truck takes. My oil cap and owners manual says 10-30. But I have been reading here and on other places that these trucks taken 0-40. So what's the deal what weight oil should I buy/what do you guys run?

I run shell rote65-70lla 15/40 in mine with a viper filter. Running about 65-70 lbs of pressure at 1500 rpm

0-40 is all ive ever known. it has a Rhodes style high bleed off hydraulic lifters that absorb some of the lift at low rpm to smooth the idle and improve drivability, and pump up at higher rpm to increase the lift. the weight of the oil as i understand it is pretty important. As is the temperature of that oil as the viscosity changes as it warms up. That may be why they put the oil temp gauges on it.

I could be wrong about all of this, but this is what i remember from the oracles of genius on this beloved forum

I don't know what's in it now. The guy said when I bought it that he ran 0-40 because that's what the cap said. But like I said earlier it really says 10-30 on the cap and in the owners manual. It has 50 psi at idle and 75 at 1500 rpm.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 0-w40 and two quarts of Lucas synthetic additive is what I use, 93k and a lot of it hard driving with spray.

I've been a little baffled too on why Dodge recommends the 04's to run 10W30 and '05-06 0W40??? What's the diff in the engines? Anything?? I always ran 0W40 Mobil 1 because Dodge spent how much testing it?? I run 15w50 Joe Gibbs P6 racing oil on my forged Paxton engine.
For a NA engine I would stick with 0w40 oil.

I got Royal Purple 5W40, because of my military discount at the store i get it from, its cheaper then anything else :D

15-50 here as well. I live in a heat box so its hot outside all the time lol

You guys ever change weights for seasons? I don't really have to....we spend most of our year above 80 here in AZ....haha.

Bet that quieted down that noisy valvetrain a little huh?

OOOOOOOOH yeeeeeeah you got that right lol ha ha. You can still hear a bit if you listen hard enough but now where near as loud as it use to be.

You guys ever change weights for seasons? I don't really have to....we spend most of our year above 80 here in AZ....haha.

Yeah i change based upon the seasones. Summer/Fall 15-50 10-40 for winter when it gets cold (usually round end of Jan or in Feb) lol

I always thought the engine lost power with thicker oil due to tight factory tolerances . The pistons would have trouble getting the oil out of the way and adding windage weight to the rotating assembly.

I always thought the engine lost power with thicker oil due to tight factory tolerances . The pistons would have trouble getting the oil out of the way and adding windage weight to the rotating assembly.

My understanding that if you have 0W40 and say 15W40 that when the oil is hot say 180F that the viscosity of the oil is the same. Isn't this true??

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back