Whats the Problem!!!

Psycho Mythic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yesterday i fixed the ruptured airline on my truck so i could drive it to work today, i havent drove the truck since the PCB GTG but i crunk it up 5 days ago and let it run for a bit.

After fixing the line yesterday, i tried to crank the truck and the battery was too low (its an Optima Red Top), so i hooked up the jumper cables and hooked it up to the mustang and everytime it would go to crank it wouldn't idle, i smelled alot of fuel like it was flooding, and it was popping and wouldnt idle at all. After about 3 more minutes of charging the battery and me making sure the VEC wires were still connected and all, it finally crunk up an idled fine.

I drove the truck around for about 20 minutes them shut if off and went inside (started to rain). This mourning when i went to leave for work, it had plenty of battery to crank but it wouldnt idle again!! Did the same thing, after about 5 minutes it finally crunk up and idled, and as i drove it for the first half mile it kept cutting out here and there then i run fine on the interstate.

The check engine light is on now too. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Please Help!!!!!!!!!:dontknow: :eek: :argh: :confused:!!!

perk_1405 said:
i would try re-loading the vec tune and see what happens
Yeah, it almost seems as if everytime i tinker with the VEC 3 pigtails that go plug directly into it, the truck decides to run...

What do i need to do to re-load it?

I just did the diagnostic with the key and got 3 codes:
P 0340 - Cam Position Censor Circuit
P 0152 - 02 Censor Circuit
P 0207 - Fuel Injection Circuit

Last edited:
Did you get the VEC wet?

ViperJeff said:
Did you get the VEC wet?
Not a bit, the actual VEC3 box is mounted in my center console. Sean Roe told me that these trucks are extremely sensative to being jumped off when the battery is low, im resetting the pcm right now to see what that does for me.

try looking at the connections around the throttle body. I accidentally bumped one of mine loose and my truck wouldn't idle for shit. It would try to shut off. I replugged it in and cleared the codes and no problem now.

the problem is thevec, it dont like loosing a charge or getting jumped off with another battery,

which by the way isnt the best way to do things, a battery charger works best, especially with the optimas.

but you need to put a long slow charge on the altima battery, a good days worth.

then resest the pcm

then reload the card with the program you want to use in the vec,
and your done

The connections in the VEC must be solid. If you move the connections and create a problem...you need to re solder those connections. Even a momentary short in VEC wiring will cause problems.

And Tony is correct...surges from jump starting a system with the VEC is not a good idea. Your VEC is a performance component...it needs to be cared for carefully and gently.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back