Why dyno numbers are not the end of the world...

viperhauler

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've been meaning to do a write-up, of sorts on this because there is a LOT of pride and hairy-chestedness in big dyno numbers...

i wanted to give a perfect example of poor dyno numbers, but substantially better track times... which makes no sense... so something must be wrong, right?

i did XXXXX to my truck and it only made XXX.XX hp... something's wrong, these parts are faulty, i want my money back, i spent how much for all this and i got .02 hp???

so let me start off...

stock, my truck was 435/459 at the wheels...

i installed long tubes, high flow cats, magnaflows, stinker's coils/wires, fresh plugs, and an sct performance tune for 93 octane.

my first dyno pull was 421/453 at the wheels.

now... this was NOT the same dyno i used for my baseline, and NOT the same operator, and NOT the same time of year, and NOT the same location...

SO... did i really just spend all that money and LOSE power?

NO. i know this because i go to the track a lot.

stock 05 rc, 96k miles... full weight, street tires with full air pressure, no rear cats, maggie catback, k/n intake, spec stage 1, oem master/slave:

my home track best (camera wouldn't pick up the numbers so i wrote over them...they're real:D) note** average hot laps in the truck are 8.8's at my home track...

86home.jpg

after adding the belangers, high flows, stinkers coils/wires only, my first two passes were hot laps, drove straight to the track and got in line, back to back runs:

874home.jpg

877home.jpg

in panama city, my average hot times were solid 9.0-9.1 runs...and back home is 8.8's remember...

the best time with all the above mods AND the sct tuner from torrie:

836.jpg

these are the track results...numbers don't lie...note the mph, as well...

bottom line: full weight truck, toyo proxes street tires non z rated, full air pressure in tires, sct tuner, belangers, high flows, magnaflows, stinks coils/wires, stock shifter, spec stage 1, oem master/slave... 1.96 60' and 8.36 1/8th mile...i'll take it;)

and i think there's just a touch more in here in better whether... the old 100k mile work truck does me just fine...

and the bottom line... don't get hung up on numbers... dynos are for tuning...and every single one you go to will be different... TRACK TIMES DO NOT LIE.

***note:if you're building a dyno queen than this information does not apply to you;)

I know dyno numbers don't mean much. On the other hand it is nice to see how my truck stacks up against others on the same dyno on the same day. I'm still kinda new to these since I've only had mine for a year, had a blast out there with you guys that day!

I can attest to that Dan...... The only thing is that I never took my truck to the track stock but once I start going and changing things my times kept getting better and better....all the way up until my consistent 8.1 runs :)

LOL! This is great.

I agree, my only concern has been track times, Dyno numbers sound good on paper, but timeslips don't lie. I think I made almost 600hp on spray, but my times were better than most dyno queens I've seen or read about. 11.561 in a stock block QC with 102k is impressive to me.

That is impressive. 11's period on a QC is impressive, but being in the mid-11's on stock block over 100k, very nice.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back