Will 17'' wheels fit on the rear brake assembly of a RC????

Rice Eater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17'' wheels fitting over rear calipers? YES THEY DO...GO TO POST #19!!!

I have a set of MT ET street tires laying around that I used to use on my Magnum. They are 26X11.5X17. I am wondering if 17'' wheels will fit on the rear of my truck so I can use these tires. I need a rim that is between 8.5 and 10.5 inches wide X 17 in order to mount these tires. I don't care what they look like....cheap is my biggest criteria! Let me know if you have any experiences or know of any rims that'll work! Thanks! :rock:
RE

Last edited:
Stinker said:
unless you grind the calipers, pm vpwr to get answers

OK...

1) 17"s will fit on a 04 with VERY little shaving....Vprpwr fit 16"s on with ALOT of shaving..

2) Don't bother....a 26" tire like the ones you have are WAY TOO SHORT....you will run outta gear and simply spin the crap outta a 26" tire....

sorry to bring bad news......:dontknow:

:( Ahhh man I thought I'd get away with it....it seems like there is enough room to clear. What part requires grinding? Those tires get purtyyy damn sticky sure they'll just spin away?

Rice Eater said:
:( Ahhh man I thought I'd get away with it....it seems like there is enough room to clear. What part requires grinding? Those tires get purtyyy damn sticky sure they'll just spin away?

the caliper is what requires a little bit of grinding for a 17".

I think mike is more letting you know about the gear ration then the stickiness of the tires. With a 26" tire, your going to run out of gear (basically your going to get into 5th/6th) on the 1/4. Your going to be shifting like crazy due to the increase (numerically) in gear ratio, and wont have a top-end worth a crap.

A 31-32-33" tire would be better for you with an 05 (read 456 gears)

-Red

What is the optimum sized drag tire for our trucks with out going too short of a tire to run out of gear with 410's? Does switching to a shorter tire in the rear gear the truck lower the same way it would be to do gears?

Rice Eater said:
thanks Redsrt007 you posted before mine showed up! What part is the caliper? The covers to the pads painted red?

The caliper is the red bulky piece of metal that holds the brake pads. It is the part that hugs the rotor/disk.

The backside would need to be shaved in order to not make contact with the inner rim section.

gotcha thanks Red....can I get away with a shorter rear tire since I have 410's? The stock ones look to be just over 30''.

Rice Eater said:
gotcha thanks Red....can I get away with a shorter rear tire since I have 410's? The stock ones look to be just over 30''.

According to http://www.gounitrax.com/mph.htm Unitrax, you can get about 120 out of a 26" @ 6000 rpm w/ 4.11's which doesn't seem too bad.

I know there are other calculators out there with different info, maybe fstjack can chime in on this one also...:confused:

-Red

A 28" tire, with a 4.10 gears works good for me.

zex-srt10 said:
A 28" tire, with a 4.10 gears works good for me.

28" tire is about the shortest that you should think about putting on the truck. The issue with anything shorter is roll out. The contact patch on a shorter tire will not be great enough to work properly. Think about the width of the tire as one dimension. The other dimension is the length of the tire's contact patch. This is directly relevent to rollout or diameter. The shorter the tire the shorter the contact patch. The taller = more contact patch. Also on a taller tire you have more sidewall height which allows you the air down the tire further increasing contact area. Traction will be lacking with a short tire.

Always gear your drag race application to allow you to run the talles tire that will fit and be accepted by whatever sanctioning rules you have to abide by, if there are any..

Seriously bro...

Don't waste your time and $$$$ buying a 17" rim and shaving your calipers for this 26" tire......

nowwhat I hear you....but I could also get the 17'' rims and if these tires don't work I can then just get different tires and I'll have the rims already.

hey bro good job. This is whats is all about. Going out there and trying out new stuff. I also have a set of the same wheels and if i could get a set of the same slicks for cheap i fiqure there better than drag radials. They do look a little small but hell for us guys that arent super charged and have 4.10s they might not be a bad idea. Plz post up your times and 60fts especially after you run.
Hey also I'll make sure i write that brake squeek post for ya.

Looks like you proved em all wrong riceeater :).. nice stocker 17s lookin sweet ill have to pick up a set

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back