X-metal catless mid install

sirhc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my mids today and decided I would install them, I won’t go into the nuts on the factory flanges. After some fun times under the truck I finally got them out. Even though I tried to work it out one of the O2 sensors got some torn up threads on the way out. After getting the mids in I realized that my plan of just slapping a band clamp on it wasn’t going to work. I have to be able to swap them for inspections and Im unsure of the best way to do this. Would someone who is currently doing this mind explaining their setup or posting some pics. Now I remember why I don’t like to work under a vehicle on a hard concrete floor. I did start the truck up and drive it out of the garage with nothing from the manifolds back, Im sure that pissed the neighbors off.

Thanks,

Chris

sirhc76 said:
Just got my mids today and decided I would install them, I won’t go into the nuts on the factory flanges. After some fun times under the truck I finally got them out. Even though I tried to work it out one of the O2 sensors got some torn up threads on the way out. After getting the mids in I realized that my plan of just slapping a band clamp on it wasn’t going to work. I have to be able to swap them for inspections and Im unsure of the best way to do this. Would someone who is currently doing this mind explaining their setup or posting some pics. Now I remember why I don’t like to work under a vehicle on a hard concrete floor. I did start the truck up and drive it out of the garage with nothing from the manifolds back, Im sure that pissed the neighbors off.

Thanks,

Chris

That is why I paid somebody to install mine. Not sure what to say about the clamps...........I had mine welded. I'm sure somebody will chime in.

patrick

Bro, I know how you feeling because I have to work under a truck on a concrete floor. At least, I have to do it in a garage which is a little warm inside. Haha. I don't know the answers to your clamps problem. Sorry man.

I had hopes that the mids would fit inside the stock pipe and I could just ust the clamp on the stock pipe to lock it down. This could happen if I forced the mid into the stock pipe but Im sure I could never get it out. I imagine that I will have to modify the stock pipes on both the mid section and the muffler section so that they will both work.

Thanks,

Chris

Have you asked Boomer? It was my understanding that the mid pipes were a direct replacement for stock.

You need to get some wrap clamps. Mine was a pain too. might as well knock loose the factory clamps and go buy 2.5 inches wrap clamps they will do the trick.

sirhc76 said:

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, I was worried about swapping out the mids for inspection too so I haven't installed mine yet. I went and had my truck inspected a month ot so ago and all they did was plug a device into the computer and check for error codes, they never looked under the truck...so I've been worried for nothing, I'm putting mine on. If I get it inspected and it fails at some point I'll change them out and go back.

I have Belangers mids with high flow cats. I welded them in myself in my garage.

I also installed Boomer catless mids on my neighbors RC. His came from Boomer with the band clamps and they bolted right in with no issues. I am not sure why yours won't bolt in. :confused:

I'd call Boomer. ;)

I found a good post about 7 pages back in a search. Gary explained that they will fit you just need to get a pipe expander and open the factory pipe up. I have a set of stainless band clamps and will use those instead of the factory. That spot weld on the factory is a PITA to get off. Now all I have to do is wait for the dealer to get my O2 sensor. I guess I will post a DIY when Im done maybe it will help, seems like you need to get at least one O2 sensor when doing this. I did start the truck with that O2 sensor unlplugged and the CEL was on. I imagine I will need to reset the comp, Flashed PCM going in next week anyhow. They did the same thing with my truck when I had it inspected. They guys were to busy looking at the engine to see what was under the truck.

Thanks,

Chris

I just installed my set last week. I also had trouble fitting them in my magnaflow catback. Here's what I did, I found a small peice of 2 and half diameter pipe and heated up my pipes going into my catback and opened them up a little wider useing the smaller diameter pipe. Worked great! No leaks. I also wanted to use my band clamps instead of welding it incase I needed to throw the stock mids back in. Hope this helps ya.

I think I can get them in by expanding the pipe. I had a shop weld in a magnaflow a few weeks back and have a solid pipe from the mids back. Was a great idea but really limits the movement on the pipes. The back hanger tends to hit the bumper bracket and kills your ability to adjust. They also welded in a hanger that really pissed me off. I had to get up a few times and teach my old muffler who was boss. The wife came out and asked if there was anything she could do to help. I snapped at her and said yes go back to be or buy me a torch. Ill tear back into it tomorrow and get it done. Got some anti seize for the three O2 sensors that didnt get the threads torn up.

Thanks,

Chris

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back