X-Metal Supercharger and Heat Exchanger Completed.

azpyroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started on Friday Evening around 8pm, and worked until 10pm doing some prelim stuff, and then Azmotorhead (Phil) came over on Saturday AM, along with another good friend of mine and worked until about 11:30pm or so. Sunday we started around 11am, and worked till 3am, and completed the job.

It did not go flawless, we had to make some changes to the system.

1. The water tank does not fit anywhere on the 06's, so we deleted it, and re-designed the plumbing system for the heat exchanger and charge cooler, made sure it had good flow, etc.

2. The blow off valve does not fit downward, so we had to place the filter upward.

3. Getting to the place to cut the hole in oil pan is a real treat.. took about 3 hours of messing around getting that done.

4. The bracket for holding the charge cooler does not work with headers, I have talk to Gary about getting him to make me bracket that will work with Bassani headers.

5. Drilling and pinning the crank was oh soo much fun!!! :confused:

6. The updated tensioner pulley does not fit 06's, and you can not get the belt on... so we went back to the stock one.. it seems to be OK.

7. Some of bolts did not fit as expected...

8. After about 6 trips to AutoZone, Home Depot, Checkers and Lowes for parts runs... we got it done.

Total Time Spent: About 30 hours.

Took it out tonight, and everything checked out... took it to a nice back road, and let er have it.... started at about 35mph, and it just boiled the tires.... but its definately fast..

We noticed under WOT, my F/A mixture goes to about 10.8 for a split second.. then back to 13-15 range. But I have no detonation that I can hear.

I will post pics soon.

DONT USE THE STOCK PULLEY!!! Putting the belt on is SUPPOSED to take 3 people and be a bitch to install!!!! Trust me!!! You are making a BIG MISTAKE by putting the stocker back on...CALL GARY!!!! You will have uncontrollable belt slip and will not make good boost!!! I did the same thing....call me if you want a walk thru...561-459-6330
Blake

Blakewilder said:
DONT USE THE STOCK PULLEY!!! Putting the belt on is SUPPOSED to take 3 people and be a bitch to install!!!! Trust me!!! You are making a BIG MISTAKE by putting the stocker back on...CALL GARY!!!! You will have uncontrollable belt slip and will not make good boost!!! I did the same thing....call me if you want a walk thru...561-459-6330
Blake

You are correct.I just did the install on mine and had fun as well.;)
The way that I put the belt on was to put the pulley that rides next to the Paxton unit on last.I used an extension to hold the belt down and brute strength to screw in the pulley.Took about 5 minitues.:p :D

Congratulations!!! That sounds like a great project....few late nights, friends...lots of cussing...understand how those multiple trips to the HW store can be fun :rolleyes:

Off to the Dyno ???

BTW, running 10.8 A/F for a sec wont be a problem...rich is safer than lean ;)

silversrt said:
You are correct.I just did the install on mine and had fun as well.;)
The way that I put the belt on was to put the pulley that rides next to the Paxton unit on last.I used an extension to hold the belt down and brute strength to screw in the pulley.Took about 5 minitues.:p :D

That sucked...that was one of the worst parts :D

that and getting the hydraulics disconnected from the fan :p

azpyroguy said:
We noticed under WOT, my F/A mixture goes to about 10.8 for a split second.. then back to 13-15 range. But I have no detonation that I can hear.

What do you mean by "back to 13-15 range" ? That's getting pretty lean...

Ram From Hell said:
What do you mean by "back to 13-15 range" ? That's getting pretty lean...

I just talked to Gary and told him what it was doing, and its OK the way its working, says what I seeing is correct.

What I mean is, uner WOT F/A goes to 10.4 to 10.8 under load, and then as I back out of the throttle and make less (or no boost) it jumps around between 13-15 range because the computer goes back into closed loop.

RedSrt007 said:
That sucked...that was one of the worst parts :D

that and getting the hydraulics disconnected from the fan :p

We tried the brute strength, and that just was not going to work. So I talked to Gary, and I asked him if it was OK to run the pulley as is for week or so, and maybe get the belt to stretch, and try again.

My problem that we had was the pulley as to released pressure would not move far enough without hitting the bolt that holds the back plate to the motor.

I dont have any belt slip yet... and the belt is REALLLLLLLY tight.

He also told me that I am ok without the charge cooler bracket for now until I can get around to making a up a kit, but I need to get some 5/16 Grade 5 "all thread" and make some studs to hold it up.

He also told me that I do need to get the water take back in there, but will need to remove the bottom belly pan to do so.

azpyroguy said:
We tried the brute strength, and that just was not going to work. So I talked to Gary, and I asked him if it was OK to run the pulley as is for week or so, and maybe get the belt to stretch, and try again.

My problem that we had was the pulley as to released pressure would not move far enough without hitting the bolt that holds the back plate to the motor.

I dont have any belt slip yet... and the belt is REALLLLLLLY tight.

He also told me that I am ok without the charge cooler bracket for now until I can get around to making a up a kit, but I need to get some 5/16 Grade 5 "all thread" and make some studs to hold it up.

He also told me that I do need to get the water take back in there, but will need to remove the bottom belly pan to do so.

Did you get Boomers heat soak elimination kit? Im curious what it looks like and does? Our engines run hot and heat soak is an issue with the Paxton set-up.

silversrt said:
Did you get Boomers heat soak elimination kit? Im curious what it looks like and does? Our engines run hot and heat soak is an issue with the Paxton set-up.

Not sure what they is... but I did get a 16" fan from him...

azpyroguy said:
I just talked to Gary and told him what it was doing, and its OK the way its working, says what I seeing is correct.

What I mean is, uner WOT F/A goes to 10.4 to 10.8 under load, and then as I back out of the throttle and make less (or no boost) it jumps around between 13-15 range because the computer goes back into closed loop.

Whew! That makes sense. Without mentioning that this was happening going into the DFCO mode (getting off the throttle), ya had me worried.:D

Scot Glad to hear that you got it on the street:) Sounds like you guys had more joy the next day:mad: Sorry I couldn't come back for round 2 on Sunday.
I know that the drop kit will go on alot easier.

Azmotorhead said:
Scot Glad to hear that you got it on the street:) Sounds like you guys had more joy the next day:mad: Sorry I couldn't come back for round 2 on Sunday.
I know that the drop kit will go on alot easier.

Yeah.. we worked on it until 4am Monday AM!!!

We just need to make a few minor fixes:

1. Replace the pulley (hopefully we can make it fit...) Gary says it will.
2. Fix the bracket to hold the charge cooler.
3. Find a place to install the water tank. I might have a custom one made
that I will install...

It definatley has a menacing whine to it... that along with the exhaust note from Boomes mid pipes and Magnaflow... it turns heads everywhere I took it in the past 24 hours... =):burnout:

That is really sweet:rock: :rock: :rock: :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back