"X" pipe or "H" pipe?

SANTEEN

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about doing one of these. Seems they have a nice positive effect on the sound. How does it change, deeper, throatier? I don't mind losing a couple horsepower for sound. Which one sounds better. Also, where is it placed? My only concern is, I thought I read somewhere that they cause the engine to lean out slightly. Is this true? If so, I probably wont mess with it.

viperhauler said:
the magnaflows have a built in xpipe in the exhaust...

you won't need it...

but ...

i have one here you can take home with you...

for a price;)
You just worry about keeping me from freezing my ass off this weekend.

I don't think going with an X pipe will lean it out. The X pipe is supposively good for about 10 more hp on the top of the rpm range.

blackviper said:
I don't think going with an X pipe will lean it out. The X pipe is supposively good for about 10 more hp on the top of the rpm range.
I keep hearing that, but never seen any proof?:dontknow:

Steve, from what I know/heard/read the "X" works better on Equal length exhaust pipes as one "Scavenges" off the other to relieve the pressure from the other more efficiently. The "H" pipe does basically the same thing but it works better on Un-Even length exhaust pipes like we have on the truck (driver side is longer because it comes over to the Passenger side before it heads to the rear)..

I also agree with the above on the sound... "H" pipe has a "Throatier" sound than the "X".

FYI the Mopar system comes with the "H". Since both the "X" and the "H" were available at the time of MFG, I have to think that they (the SRT engineering team) did enough testing with each to come up the best performance/sound they could. Again I can only assume that they had several different exhaust companies submit designs for testing and they chose the Borla for the same reasons.

Here again just my thoughts but the HP and TQ increase will come from the Long Tube Headers and the improved flow through the entire system not just the "X" or "H" pipe.

Just my thoughts..
:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back