Zero's

NBT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need a bit of help here regarding PC's..I have an old Gateway, that is is decent shape, but has all the information on the hard drive. I need to 'wipe it"... "write zero's the HD ":dontknow:
What is the best way to do this, re-load it and take it to work...for the fellas to use.

Thanks for any info...I forgot how too do this...or if this Is the best way to erase all info on it currently.:dontknow: short of a hammer and a garden hose...:D

Also... are there any other uses for an old PC if I decided to not take it to work... Pull the HD, and use it for a portable HD, with the our PC loaded on it making it ideal for the Hurricane kit.:dontknow:

The computer run's fine...... has the following...

Pentium III
Running Windows Xp OS
Nvidia G-force III graphics card
384mb ram
Intel 8280 1 BA bus Master IDE
CD- RW 8X4X32
Mitsumi Cd Rom
30 gig HD

NBT said:
Need a bit of help here regarding PC's..I have an old Gateway, that is is decent shape, but has all the information on the hard drive. I need to 'wipe it"... "write zero's the HD ":dontknow:
What is the best way to do this, re-load it and take it to work...for the fellas to use.

Thanks for any info...I forgot how too do this...or if this Is the best way to erase all info on it currently.:dontknow: short of a hammer and a garden hose...:D

Also... are there any other uses for an old PC if I decided to not take it to work... Pull the HD, and use it for a portable HD, with the our PC loaded on it making it ideal for the Hurricane kit.:dontknow:

Pentium III
Running Windows Xp OS
384mb ram
CD- RW 8X4X32
Mitsumi Cd Rom
30 gig HD

The easiest way to erase the hard drive is to reformat it. This will get rid of enough info for the casual user. But, the info is still there is someone is willing to take the time and effort to retrieve it.
You can also do a low level format from the BIOS. (Sometimes)

Removing the harddrive and using it as a portable is also an option. use one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures
You can call to make sure you get the right one.

30 GB is kind of small by today's standards, but it is still useful storage space.

Hope this helps...

NBT said:

Yeah. Don't want the guys seeing what it is that you've been downloading.;)

The cheap way would be to format the drive, without using the /Q (quick) option. Once that's been done, short of FBI forensics, there's little that can be recovered. There is also software out there that will also fully wipe whatever traces of deleted files are there too, rendering them totally gone. If you don't want to reload the OS, the latter might be the choice for you.

You can always use the PC as an audio media server. Use it to house as many drives as you want (or as many as it can handle), and connect it to your LAN. Then you can stream audio wherever you want in your home to network audio receivers (pretty inexpensive these days).

Ram From Hell said:
Yeah. Don't want the guys seeing what it is that you've been downloading.;)

The cheap way would be to format the drive, without using the /Q (quick) option. Once that's been done, short of FBI forensics, there's little that can be recovered. There is also software out there that will also fully wipe whatever traces of deleted files are there too, rendering them totally gone. If you don't want to reload the OS, the latter might be the choice for you.

You can always use the PC as an audio media server. Use it to house as many drives as you want (or as many as it can handle), and connect it to your LAN. Then you can stream audio wherever you want in your home to network audio receivers (pretty inexpensive these days).

Too funny....:rofl:

A damn good idea to use it as a media device to integrate with the home theater... not sure how long a 30G HD will last...but that can be maintained.

So I just open the "Run", and type in format :dontknow:

NBT said:
Too funny....:rofl:

A damn good idea to use it as a media device to integrate with the home theater... not sure how long a 30G HD will last...but that can be maintained.

So I just open the "Run", and type in format :dontknow:

Actually, running format from the command line won't really work, because the drive is in use.

If you have another PC, you could hook it up there as a slave, and format it using Windows. Otherwise, you will need a boot floppy or CD with Format on it.

I would probably just drill a hole through that hard drive or toss it in the trash. it's old and not reliable anymore (could die at any moment), and they aren't worth anything. A new hard drive is very inexpensive these days.

~miek~

Got it...thanks fellas...formatting it right now, off the XP boot disc:rock:
We will see how she is once I get it reloaded...set up.:dontknow:

NBT said:
Got it...thanks fellas...formatting it right now, off the XP boot disc:rock:
We will see how she is once I get it reloaded...set up.:dontknow:

If you are only using it to store music, you don't need to do a setup. just being formatted will work.

NBT said:

Pentium III
Running Windows Xp OS
384mb ram
CD- RW 8X4X32
Mitsumi Cd Rom
30 gig HD

Hello Kenny -
If you decide not to take it to work there a couple of options if you wipe out the hard drive. I've got a few discs that I can load up your basic programs and there's a shelter for abused women and children that would appreciate the donation. Or there's even a woman who has 3 children that recently had a hardship that I could ship to. (AZPYROGUY had a post about her - her apartment burned down and was left with nothing).
Let me know if you end up taking it to work or saving it for yourself. :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back