48RE Transmission - Band in pan?

2005ViperRam

Reaction score
I was having troubles with my 2005 SRT-10 48RE automatic transmission not shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I opened the pan up to see if I could adjust the bands to make it work.
When I took off the pan, this part was sticking in the valve body area. To me it looks like a band.
My question, how the heck can this part get almost to the bottom. I thought the valve body separated the bands/clutches from the pan. It's a big piece

9r2hzs.jpg

My 48 is starting to slip kinda. Doesn't shift like it used to either. Before it shifted hard, now it smoothly glides into the next gear. And if you punch it, it revs up higher than the power response.
How much $ to rebuild One is fair / average?

1500 that ain't bad I was thinking 3k

$1500 if you get it rebuilt with bone stock OEM replacements. Easily 3k if you get some upgraded parts from a place like HTS or SunCoast. If you plan to stay mostly stock, but want a slightly stronger/reliable 48RE, HTS offers a tranny for $2495. That's a stock 48RE that they have rebuilt and added some stronger parts. From there the price goes skyward.

Just curious, why when you look on ebay and you search for 48RE Transmission they have some for $26K, some for $11K? What are they made of? Gold? Geez, that is a heck of a lot of money!

Also, are these transmissions easily rebuilt? I mean can a a guy that has mechanical skills, but no transmission skills, rebuild it? Is there a video or manual out there that does it step by step? I know I just want to learn how to do it because this is a new truck to me and I just want to race the heck out of that engine and transmission and I know I will probably have to do the transmission again sometime....

I mean, when you watch this video it seems awfully easy.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqb1wPd2nuo]48RE Transmission 2006 Dodge Ram SRT10 - YouTube[/ame]

Are there a bunch of measurements and stuff, or do you just load it with new parts?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back