04-06 RC

LsSrtfan

Reaction score
Looking at getting an 04-06 RC. Want to know a few things about the trucks while looking.
What are some key things to look for when looking at one and test driving.
How much is a black, white or red Regular cab with less than 80k miles going to run me?
Not in any rush to find one just shopping around for now.

A number of updates to the 05 vs 04. Biggest being upgraded brakes and knock sensor. Lots of changes to the 06 vs 05. front end, interior and front suspension. Some would argue not for the better...lol.

Surprisingly mine has been one of the most reliable vehicles that I've rack over 150K miles on. Good luck with your search!

Are there any common issues I need to look for?

Last edited:
Common issues....Dodge used several quick connect lines during assembly. They all at some point will leak. Most of us upgraded to braided lines. Both oil lines to the oil/coolant exchanger and the HP line from the PS pump use the quick connects. Other than that....?

Probably $25,000 to $30,000 for a nice one. They can be had for less if your willing to fix some issues.
Try & find one with forged pistons & H beam rods. They are weak link in these trucks that will cost you big money to fix. Took me about three months to sort mine out after it melted a piston. Now that it's 100% it would take $30k for me to part with it.

Oh yeah all my lines and hoses were upgraded/replaced during the repair.

Your melted the piston stock?
I really just want one that's stock would be willing to fix a few things. But don't want a problem truck either.
I really just want one as a toy, doesn't have to break any records. Most I'll do to one is headers, exhaust, catless mid, CAI, tune and a ported intake manifold if I can find one. I'll probly bring it to the track a few times but not much. I have a z06 for that, just would like to have a truck that's pretty fun.

Viperhauler is selling his red truck, lightly modified. Ready to move it as well.

Probably $25,000 to $30,000 for a nice one. They can be had for less if your willing to fix some issues.
Try & find one with forged pistons & H beam rods. They are weak link in these trucks that will cost you big money to fix. Took me about three months to sort mine out after it melted a piston. Now that it's 100% it would take $30k for me to part with it.

These engines DO NOT melt pistons. Geeze anyway....:dontknow:

Please do not let one or even the very few who have done so allow you to think this is a "Common Issue". The only way to melt a piston is to run it LEAN. Of course at that point, Detonation will melt the piston and collapse the ring lands. The stock fuel mapping in these trucks is pig rich (around 11:1 A/F) at WOT at high RPM. Aftermarket "Can Tunes" from a reputable tuner are also set to be safe rich.
With that being said, be confident in the OEM set up and reliability of these trucks. Be careful when making changes to your fuel and ignition mapping and by all means, use a wideband A/F gauge so you KNOW where your engine is at when tuning or having it tuned or dyno'd. If it ahs a few basic mods like CAI, exhaust etc. It will STILL be running rich, even with a canned tune. So all is well and good luck with your search.

Cheers:)

Yea I figured they were pig rich, I've never heard of one melting a piston so I thought that was weird. First mod thing I did to my vette and camaro was an AEM wideband and good tires.

I'll probly do the tuning myself if I can find a good tuning software for gm and Chrysler vehicles. If not I may go to southern hotrod in New Orleans for a tune.

Yea I figured they were pig rich, I've never heard of one melting a piston so I thought that was weird. First mod thing I did to my vette and camaro was an AEM wideband and good tires.

I'll probly do the tuning myself if I can find a good tuning software for gm and Chrysler vehicles. If not I may go to southern hotrod in New Orleans for a tune.

Noooo! No southern hotrod and no to tuning yourself. SCT is about the only way to tune our trucks as of now. You get tunes based on your trucks mods or dyno datalogs. I had a couple blown engines that SH built, lol
Both needed new blocks!!!!

Have a Flame Red 05 RC here in Waco with 70k and no issues if you're interested? Shoot me a text if you'd like
254-722-5697image.jpg

I'm just shopping around for now, guess I'll just go Sct then. May have to get with you on that 05. But going to do some more shopping for now.

I'm just shopping around for now, guess I'll just go Sct then. May have to get with you on that 05. But going to do some more shopping for now.

No prob. Figured I was only 3 1/2 hours from you. You'd at least be able to check one out firsthand and know what to expect from others.

No prob. Figured I was only 3 1/2 hours from you. You'd at least be able to check one out firsthand and know what to expect from others.

I've seen it in the flesh. A real beaut. Right color just not enough room for my junk----Scott knows all about all my junk. Wait, some of the low information, filthy minded folks that lurk here will misconstrue the work "junk" so better change that to all the excess "stuff" I load in the bed and back seat of my 10. Can't go wrong on this truck is your wanting a RC.

Common issues that will go bad eventually are the oil lines and power steering lines. They will basically start leaking, as soon as they do start leaking you will want to replace them quickly as it can be a problem if they fail.

As far as price goes, if your looking at one with 80k I'd pay no more then 19k for it reason being, mine had 70k and the dealer was asking for 24k and I told them I'll give them 20k for it and they took it. This was back in late sept of this year.

These motors also drink oil, so dont be scared about it they just do. Just check your oil levels every few days and and top off as needed.

As far as blown engines etc, the only ones ive ever read that suffered a blown engine usually had a tune done. Now rather or not that tune was good or not, I dont know. Ive never read about a stock bolt on untuned truck blowing up as another poster said these things run pig rich, which is why a tune nets so much HP.

Common issues that will go bad eventually are the oil lines and power steering lines. They will basically start leaking, as soon as they do start leaking you will want to replace them quickly as it can be a problem if they fail.

As far as price goes, if your looking at one with 80k I'd pay no more then 19k for it reason being, mine had 70k and the dealer was asking for 24k and I told them I'll give them 20k for it and they took it. This was back in late sept of this year.

These motors also drink oil, so dont be scared about it they just do. Just check your oil levels every few days and and top off as needed.

As far as blown engines etc, the only ones ive ever read that suffered a blown engine usually had a tune done. Now rather or not that tune was good or not, I dont know. Ive never read about a stock bolt on untuned truck blowing up as another poster said these things run pig rich, which is why a tune nets so much HP.

Don't think I've known of a bolt on truck blow up due to a tune? Tunes are great for our trucks and net power and mileage safely. Too rich a mixture tends to ruin oil faster as well as wear cylinder walls/rings/bearings faster.
A/F fuel should be optimal for all specific loads. From idle in neutral to WOT. I rarely see one remove timing due to knock during data logging with any of the tuners of our trucks. They will keep timing and A/F safe. Now, a fella mashing the gas on 87 octane on a 93 octane tune for years could result in a melted piston. I've just never seen it in a bolt on engine. Add boost or nitrous and all bets are off. Tune is super critical!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back