04 Crank pulley bolt backing out

cstewart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you all have been following my thread and have offered me some really good advice for fixing my 04 that had the crank pulley come loose. It was suggested that I reach out to one of the vendors here and ask for advice. I had emailed Sean at Roe Racing and he was good enough to respond back with detailed instructions of how to proceed after this has happened and how to keep it from happening again. He also explains whats acceptable damage and what you need to be concerned with. I wanted to share it with you all and make this problem known. Do not let a dealership/repair center or anyone try to trick you into buying a new engine! They will do it in a heartbeat. Most of the times, there isn't much damage , but even if there is, there are options. I thought Sean put it very well and I hope anyone with an 04 will check this out.

"Been down this road many times with folks.
Take the balancer off and inspect the snout. If it looks worn and has metal gouged across it (I expect it does), use a piece of emery cloth the clean it back up and make it fairly smooth. The balancer is cast and unusually leaves the material on the forged crank, so it cleans up pretty good. It doesn’t have to be perfect and some gouging is not a problem as long as the face of the crank snout is flat (that’s where the torque load is) and most of the snout diameter is intact.
Install either a new factory balancer or upgraded aftermarket with a pin kit to keep it from happening again.
If the crank is really bad, there are repair sleeves available, but that requires removing the crank and machining."
Sean
PS, we have all the parts.

Once again, I'd like to thank Sean and the others on this message board who have helped keep me from getting ripped off. I haven't got it fixed yet, but am confident that it can be without breaking the bank and will keep you all posted. Thanks!

Sean is a good dude and has been inside a lot of Viper engines. He may not post or be active on this forum, but he knows his stuff and is very responsive to emails. We're lucky to have him, Justin, and Scott as vendors.

I'm glad to hear you are pointed in the right direction. :D Take that $24k and buy yourself something REAL nice!

Back in 05 my crank pulley came lose and chewed the hell out of my crank, chunks maybe 2mm deep and the pulley wobbled so much it even marked up the timing chain cover real good.. I just cleaned up the crank and put on a new dampener and 20k miles later it was good as new... no problems..

Just waiting on the parts now. Hope to get everything back in order soon. (ive ordered the pin from sean too. If I don't put it on this time around, I will when I inspect the bolt on down the road) I had decided to get rid of the truck as soon as it was patched up. (I was afraid I was sitting on a financial time bomb) I still may long term, but I am in no hurry to now. I think/hope I've learned a lot through this. Maybe someone else will catch it before they go through the drama I've dealt with. Thanks again guys.

Paint a line through the bolt head onto the dampner and check it at every oil change for slippage. Torque strip is ideal, but a paint marker will work.

Good idea. Ive actually got a broken case of Dykem's torque mark, anti tampering, cross check at the office. I'll grab a tube of that stuff when its time.

Also, its been sitting out in the elements with the pulley and balancer off of it. What are the chances of moisture getting in the engine? Should I do an oil change right away? Or have them do it while they have it?

I would get an ARP Balancer bolt & ATI Balancer. If you stay with a stock balancer I would get an ARP bolt & the Roe Crankshaft pin tool.

Also, its been sitting out in the elements with the pulley and balancer off of it. What are the chances of moisture getting in the engine? Should I do an oil change right away? Or have them do it while they have it?

If the crankshaft seal on the timing chain cover looks fine I would not worry about it unless you've had the hood open while it rained. I would make sure the seal didn't get damaged from the dampner wobbling (probably not).

or this is a pretty good deal we used it all the time in the aviation field may be hard to do on the crank pulley
52_130202b.jpg

safetywire.jpg

I thought about doing that, but you have to find a bolt with a hole in it or drill one yourself. Then drill two holes in the pulley or have pulley bolts with holes in them.

I thought about doing that, but you have to find a bolt with a hole in it or drill one yourself. Then drill two holes in the pulley or have pulley bolts with holes in them.

Im around machinist all day so its easy for me to put some holes in but its not to hard to find someone to pop some holes in for ya just find a metal fabrication shop might me pricey id go with the locking washers or see if your local bolt supplier can get ones with holes they may need to be ordered but they can find them if they are worth anything IMO

I would get an ARP Balancer bolt & ATI Balancer. If you stay with a stock balancer I would get an ARP bolt & the Roe Crankshaft pin tool.
I've got the pin coming. I've also asked them to be sure to check the seal. Seals don't cost much and I'd rather swap it and not have to worry about anything down there for a while.

Summit or Jegs.

Sent from BlackMamba50's DROID RAZR MAXX

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back