05 RC towing question

SRT102JZ

Reaction score
I need to know the towing capacity of the RC SRT's. I am planning on going to South Padre for spring break and all of the hotels/condos are either all booked or outragously priced. Im looking at renting a 25ft camper to sleep in at a much lower price but dont want to break anything while towing it.

heres the ad on CL for reference of size and weight. need to know asap so i can make reservation

http://austin.craigslist.org/rvs/1059920107.html

The factory says they wont tow nothin, BUT If you drive carefully and probably have to run in 5th gear most of the time, with the correct hitch and brake control you should not have any problem. Thats not a real heavy trailer probably around 4800 lbs.

if i remember correctly, only 900 lb. load.

the guy that really got me to get a Viper Truck towed his 21' Skeeter bass boat with his.

boats try to take off at 120+ m.p.h. LOL

what are my chances of breaking something and if something does break, what will it most likely be or be the first thing to go?

SRT102JZ said:
what are my chances of breaking something and if something does break, what will it most likely be or be the first thing to go?
The clutch.

im not liking these answers hah. is it like a 50-50 chance of breaking something? or luck of the draw

my work trailer is about 4k lbs...i tow it almost weekly...have been for 40k+ miles...a few things come to mind on the camper...and your truck...

is your truck stock/suspension wise

need to see how it sits on the truck...if it weighted right, it should only squat about 2 inches in the rear at the most....if so, i'd try to find one that'll sit better...

i'm not saying i haven't done that, but the way a truck handles if it's improperly loaded it can be dangerous (braking, steering, etc.) ....but that's a given...

be easy on the clutch, and unless your goin downhill, i wouldn't use 6th gear...

Last edited:
We have several members that regularly tow 5000 lb. trailers with R/C's. Just go easy with it, clutch is the only problem and with your 4:56 gear you will do fine.

FATJACK said:
We have several members that regularly tow 5000 lb. trailers with R/C's. Just go easy with it, clutch is the only problem and with your 4:56 gear you will do fine.
guilty...the racecars and trailers are pretty heavy...if it was an 04 with 411's i'd rethink a trailer that size

ok great, makes me feel alot better about it. the truck is on stock suspension btw

thanks for all the quick responses

I tow all the time though at about half the weight you are looking at. No issues.

Ive towed over 7K a few times, ive towed an SRT-10 ram with my SRT-10 ram, cruising in 6th at 80 on the highway with 4.11's. The clutch is the weak link, but it shouldnt be a problem if ou dont slip it alot from a stop. I have helper airbags on mine and I would highly recommend them for towing that much weight.
Justin

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back