08 Blue Z06 VS. GTS (not a race)

VIPER D.N.A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering a new Z06, I can get a killer deal on one and it's a rare color that I dig. It's brand new and can get it for bout 15,000 below sticker. NOT selling truck BUT would have to sell my 02 Saleen Extreme Roadster (berrylium, lotta upgrades) and the wives 06 GTO (burnt orange, stock). So the dilemma is this; Ive always wanted a GTS which is a lot cheaper than a new Z06, but I'm having concerns regarding fitting into one. I'm 6'2 and 275 and I fit good enough in the new Z06. My pops has a 96 RT/10 that I feel cramped as hell in especially in the leg room. So initially I wanted an 06 GTS blue white, 99 GTS ACR, or 02 GTS ACR... So I geuss my main question is if I can fit into the Viper GTS. Anybody with both a vette and viper would be helpful but I'm also concerned bout value (I have a hard time letting go of any of my cars). SO FOR ANYONES FUTURE PREDICTIONS...I have always thought vettes are a dime a dozen but with the recent gossip bout CAFE standards and such this might be the last hurrah (muscle) for vettes (less the ZR1) hence a good one to hold on to? Or, go with my gut that has always said a GTS. But can I fit into it to drive? Whatcha think?
WOW, long ass post, my bad. Whole lotta options going through my head and I hope you all understand. Looking forward to some great insight from car lovers.

Have you considered the ZR1 has just been announced? It is the first supercharged Corvette...

Don't jump until you have driven one...you may be very sorry.

I drove a Viper GTS for three days and it was tight and uncomfortable...at 6 foot and 195!

IMG_0037.jpg

;)
Prof said:
Have you considered the ZR1 has just been announced? It is the first supercharged Corvette...

Don't jump until you have driven one...you may be very sorry.

I drove a Viper GTS for three days and it was tight and uncomfortable...at 6 foot and 195!

IMG_0037.jpg
you are also 1800 years old wise one;) :D

im 5'9", 275...gts is a tad uncomfortable for me...but do-able, especially if its not a daily driver....sounds like you have plenty of other cars for that duty...that being said....i would go with the vette...mid 11sec street machine right out of the box...with a warranty! few mods and its a solid 10sec daily beast...with all the bells and whistles...

just my 1/6 of a bit

Trading three vehicles for one is either smart or crazy. If they are all 3 extra vehicles for fun, then why not trade them all in for one that's more fun. As for the Vette vs. the Vipers you listed, cost and warranty is the biggest difference. Hell, what am I saying. I have no business saying anything because I can't decide what to buy next. I want something new every 3 months. What I understand about the Vipers and Z06's is that they are not comfortable daily drivers especially if you're a big guy.

505'sFastestViper. said:
;)
you are also 1800 years old wise one;) :D

Yeah, your right...just seems at my age I should be stiff...but no luck there either...

having driven both the Vette & viper I would get the Vette...the Viper is too hot and just uncomfortable to me at 6-2 165LBs...not that i would turn down the Viper....but on the other hand I would not like either for a daily because it is all I can do to raise my big butt up out of them....the truck I can just fall out of...:eek:

Prof, I was at Barett Jackson in Scottsdale and saw the ZR1 in person (even got a ZR1 hat:D ) but I have a feeling the stealerships are going to have some fun marking them up, especially due to low production #s 2,000 maybe dontknow: probly outta my price range. Any predictions?

Fastlane, I see your selling your Z06... Would you consider a new one or are they to small for a big guy like you (us). As i said, I fit comfortable enough into the 08. I have a few "fun" cars, but the new mortgage is kicking my ass! I'm looking to downsize and have a few really nice rides (Yellow Fever #007 being the showcase!!!:D :D )

VALUE!!! Whats more collectible? I try to buy vehicles that I can keep. So take the plunge of deprecciation but maybe feel good in the long run?

Anybody think its a good deal on the vette? Maybe I could drive it for 6 months and make money on it?:dontknow: (probly would'nt malke my friend to happy though) Always wanted a snake, but the Z06 is tempting...

Same question!!!!! 2nd GEN Vipersnake!! :rock: :rock: :rock: or a more refined, faster, possibly more comfortable, Z06. :rock: :rock:

Comfort and driveability VS. Badass looks and future value ( I think the snakes might hold there value more, but no good to me if I can't enjoy driving the damn thing). What would you do...? All oppinions are valued!!!!!:rock: :rock: :D :D :rock: :D :rock: :D :burnout:

Last edited:
If you buy a used Viper for say, $40,000, it has already had the big depreciation hit. Let's say both a used Viper and a Z06 depreciate by 10% over the next year. Because you paid less for the Viper, the dollars lost are less. Then again, if sticker without a markup on the Z06 is really $15k off, that is pretty damn good. I think $85k includes a mark up. Isn't sticker on a Z06 about $70k? If sticker really is $85k and you can get it for $70k you won't get killed by depreciation so bad. But I doubt you can count on selling for a profit after driving it for a while. There aren't many people who can afford $70k for a vehicle and those who can tend to buy new rather than used. One more thing to consider is if the new ZR1 will cause a drop in value for the Z06's. I think it comes down to how much you want to spend since a used Viper is so much cheaper than $70k. If the decision is close, the price would sway me toward the Viper.

VIPER D.N.A said:
Prof, I was at Barett Jackson in Scottsdale and saw the ZR1 in person (even got a ZR1 hat:D ) but I have a feeling the stealerships are going to have some fun marking them up, especially due to low production #s 2,000 maybe dontknow: probly outta my price range. Any predictions?

Fastlane, I see your selling your Z06... Would you consider a new one or are they to small for a big guy like you (us). As i said, I fit comfortable enough into the 08. I have a few "fun" cars, but the new mortgage is kicking my ass! I'm looking to downsize and have a few really nice rides (Yellow Fever #007 being the showcase!!!:D :D )

VALUE!!! Whats more collectible? I try to buy vehicles that I can keep. So take the plunge of deprecciation but maybe feel good in the long run?

Anybody think its a good deal on the vette? Maybe I could drive it for 6 months and make money on it?:dontknow: (probly would'nt malke my friend to happy though) Always wanted a snake, but the Z06 is tempting...

Same question!!!!! 2nd GEN Vipersnake!! :rock: :rock: :rock: or a more refined, faster, possibly more comfortable, Z06. :rock: :rock:

Comfort and driveability VS. Badass looks and future value ( I think the snakes might hold there value more, but no good to me if I can't enjoy driving the damn thing). What would you do...? All oppinions are valued!!!!!:rock: :rock: :D :D :rock: :D :rock: :D :burnout:

ive sat in a new c6 and its about the same as my c5 z06....but the gts i think is less comfy....but if its not a daily driver....it honestly would be hard to choose....like i said i would prbably go with the c6 z....if it were me....

i bought my c5 as a daily driver...big mistake...just not for me....need my truck as a DD

ChrisAZ said:
If you buy a used Viper for say, $40,000, it has already had the big depreciation hit. Let's say both a used Viper and a Z06 depreciate by 10% over the next year. Because you paid less for the Viper, the dollars lost are less. Then again, if sticker without a markup on the Z06 is really $15k off, that is pretty damn good. I think $85k includes a mark up. Isn't sticker on a Z06 about $70k? If sticker really is $85k and you can get it for $70k you won't get killed by depreciation so bad. But I doubt you can count on selling for a profit after driving it for a while. There aren't many people who can afford $70k for a vehicle and those who can tend to buy new rather than used. One more thing to consider is if the new ZR1 will cause a drop in value for the Z06's. I think it comes down to how much you want to spend since a used Viper is so much cheaper than $70k. If the decision is close, the price would sway me toward the Viper.

Exactly what I've been thinking!!! The GTS is a better investment, (if you can call it that) but would I be better off in something I feel more cozy in? From what I can gather a vette is a lil more hospitable towards larger peeps:dontknow: Not gonna put a whole lotta miles on the thing but would like it to be more than an Expen$$$ive piece of decore for the garage. Anybody think the newer Z06's will be worth $$ in a few years? I do believe 2nd GEN Snakes and probably all other models (especially if production siezes in a few years) will be future collectibles.

That is why I will never part with my truck, I truly believe it will be one of those rare, unique, low production, kick a$$ vehicles that in time people will all appreciate. Back on topic, WHAT would you do? GTS or Z06?

p.s. after driving a Z06 they had on the parking lot I was impressed, although it did not have the RAW, FUN, MUSCLE, factor of my truck I'm sure it would :burnout: my truck... but did not have the same, umm, RAW feeling my truck has. And ya I got more looks in the truck than the Z06 today :dontknow: Not sure if that would of happened if I'd been driving a GTS

I wouldn't trade my 99 GTS for a Vette anyday. I am 6'2", 195 lbs. The Viper is a rare vehicle in comparison to the Vette. Viper production is probably going to end in 2011, which may affect all Viper values in a positive way.

Depends on what you are looking for - if you want the quickest car, buy the Vette. I was looking for a more rare vehicle that is fast and has great looks (IMO), so I bought the Viper.

Good luck with your decision!

Refinement - Vette

Raw, Mean, and Simply Bad Ass - Viper

Depends what you want.

I believe the Vette can be driven more readily than the Viper. Around me I see Z06's every day as daily drivers... spring and summer time mostly of course. The Vipers on the other hand only come ut to play on the very pretty nice days in the spring.

The Z06 is a mean car either way... and at 6'3" 290... I can guarantee there is plenty of room in the car.

I have a GTS and my wife has a C5 Vette. The GTS is definitely a tighter fit. You get used to the feel of the GTS though. It felt a little cramped at first but not now.

It would be no brainer for me, I'll never own another Vette (I've had 2 of my own before). It's not a bad car for a girl though. :p

This last two weeks are the first that I have been "Vette-less" in 12 years. But not sure I'll get another one. It's the best bang for the buck you can buy but they are everywhere. Spend $100k on a ZR1 and 80% of the population wont know the difference between your car and a 2005 $30k used C6. I love the Corvette but, c'mon, we all spend money on cars and upgrades to get noticed. If you still have your truck and just going to use the ACR or Vette as a weekend driver, my vote is for the '06 GTS.

Don't beleive the stats on the headroom of the new Z06... having both cars i can tell you Viper has over 1" more headroom. The writen stats say the Z06 has 1.2" more headroom but that untrue. I'm 6'-3" 220 with a 35" waist, the vipers side bolsters are VERY tight on my hips.

Buy the Viper if you can fit in it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back