1-2 gear hunt issue/ engine sound questions

Newfie-SRT-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Issue 1) 48re Transmission is hunting/slipping 1-2-1-2 under low throttle pressure. If I stomp on it pulls hard and shifts firm. Also getting clunk from P-R and N-D also shifts firm. Works better when warm but still not right

Been searching high and low for a cure

New trans fluid and filter no change truck has 65000km

Should I adjust front band? Or change the pressure solenoid? Or do the GM conversion?

NOT READY FOR 6 SPEED CONVERSION YET! :p

Issue 2) engine sounds like a diesel (no joke) I own a 2014 cummins and they almost sound the same at idle

New synthetic Mobil 1 oil and filter with a quart of Lucas (added after to see if any change)

I'm not hearing the injectors I know that sound.

Sounds most at idle and when slowly increasing rpm still hear it but mostly at 2k rpm get a bit of vibration. Almost thinking a rod starting to get bad?

Not much else I can say. Does sound like I might have an exhaust leak too

Engine has a bit of sputtering/rough idle. I think it might be normal it sounds not even close to a gmc 1500 5.3 but all aluminum would make more noise.

I've owned a corvette with LS engine and sounded much smoother with all aluminum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Issue 1) 48re Transmission is hunting/slipping 1-2-1-2 under low throttle pressure. If I stomp on it pulls hard and shifts firm. Also getting clunk from P-R and N-D also shifts firm. Works better when warm but still not right

Been searching high and low for a cure

New trans fluid and filter no change truck has 65000km

Should I adjust front band? Or change the pressure solenoid? Or do the GM conversion?

NOT READY FOR 6 SPEED CONVERSION YET! :p

Issue 2) engine sounds like a diesel (no joke) I own a 2014 cummins and they almost sound the same at idle

New synthetic Mobil 1 oil and filter with a quart of Lucas (added after to see if any change)

I'm not hearing the injectors I know that sound.

Sounds most at idle and when slowly increasing rpm still hear it but mostly at 2k rpm get a bit of vibration. Almost thinking a rod starting to get bad?

Not much else I can say. Does sound like I might have an exhaust leak too

Engine has a bit of sputtering/rough idle. I think it might be normal it sounds not even close to a gmc 1500 5.3 but all aluminum would make more noise.

I've owned a corvette with LS engine and sounded much smoother with all aluminum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Your tranny needs new solenoids in the valve body. You have a pressure transducer, governed pressure solenoid, torque converter lockup solenoid, etc all inside your pan. Best to do them all while in there.
Clunk could be u joints or carrier bearing, but didn't you just do bearing?
As far as the diesel sound I gotta go with rockers and injectors combined. Otherwise not sure. Video?
If you have an exhaust leak it will sputter /rough idle as it'll be dumping fuel into the side with exhaust leak.
Hope this helps

Your tranny needs new solenoids in the valve body. You have a pressure transducer, governed pressure solenoid, torque converter lockup solenoid, etc all inside your pan. Best to do them all while in there.
Clunk could be u joints or carrier bearing, but didn't you just do bearing?
As far as the diesel sound I gotta go with rockers and injectors combined. Otherwise not sure. Video?
If you have an exhaust leak it will sputter /rough idle as it'll be dumping fuel into the side with exhaust leak.
Hope this helps

Thanks. Yeah I just done the carrier bearing and all u joints are good.

Exhaust leak sounds like manifold to cat area. I need to straight pipe that for sure. Anyone make a cheap kit? I have borla cat back now but cats got to go. No emissions control here

When first fired up sounds like piston slap then goes decently quiet then when hot it starts making the sounds. Don't sound as deep as a rod bearing but lighter tapping. Tried to get a video but not worth posting

And to the tranny.

Is there a kit available anywhere? Napa ect for individual parts or dealer parts?

There's a GM upgrade that we put in em. Better than Chryslers. You need to do the whole solenoid cluster.
Possibly a lifter not pumping up on your engine noise sir. I'd be happy to do any powdercoating or hydrodipping you seek :burnout:

There's a GM upgrade that we put in em. Better than Chryslers. You need to do the whole solenoid cluster.
Possibly a lifter not pumping up on your engine noise sir. I'd be happy to do any powdercoating or hydrodipping you seek :burnout:

Do you know where I can get the GM upgrade kit?

When I gets the courage to pull the intake I'll let you know and we can talk about the options. I'll pull the valve covers same time

Scott I need that GM upgrade kit...PM me please.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back