10 Weeks to fix a Viper engine - WTF???

Kevin Singleton of EED is doing the Engine for the Red truck and it takes quite a while to get the machine work done properly.

There are many things that have to be done when installing big wet sleves.

There are very few shops that can do this job properly.

Kevin is the absolute best Viper engine builder in the country.

There are many who do it, and none have the expertise of Kevin and the crew at Exotic Engine Development.

Patrick and I will be doing the install and tuning.

Kevin is also doing the engine for the Silver drag truck.

I have done a lot of engines and they all worked well and made good HP, but there a lot of things unique to a Dodge Viper V-10.

Getting the engine to make big HP and live is the trick.

He has the know how to get maximum HP, while keeping the motor alive.

RedSrt007 said:
If your waiting 10-12 months for a block build (pistons, rods, cam, crank, sleeves, etc..) then your getting taken for every penny you have; and getting the shaft (no pun intended) ;) . A block build should not take 1 year to do on these motors. Maybe an entire Truck (suspension, frame, motor, trans, body, etc..).

Many of the top block builder (EED) can build a complete motor (including machine work) and less then 3 months time.

Okay, so perhaps I was a little too patient.:D

However, it was a little more involved than some. Machine work on a brand new crank for coated main and rod bearings (got the wrong bearings in the first time to boot...), and billet main caps, took two different shops. Waiting on pistons to be coated, getting the valves changed out at JM... Well, you get the idea.

I didn't push my builder, and ultimately, the cost for everything was pretty reasonable. Besides, "Quality, speed, price. Pick any two." right?:D

Thanks again guys, Solsir, no they didn't even offer a damn rental. I have contacted their regional rep. We'll see where this goes. Thanks for all the info fellas

I could see if you were doing some monster build and wanted a certain person to do the work, but to send your motor to whoever builds them, and get it back, in stock condition, and then not be told what the original problem was is just horse shit. Maybe I am just impatient, but This seems like just another case of bad customer service. To wait 2 1/2 to 3 months for anything these days seems like way too long.

I do not recall anyone ever complaining about an Arrow rebuild...that has to count for something...in my mind three months, would be a tolerable wait for a complete rebuild.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
-Arthur C. Clarke

This is not rocket science. They may have a vendor for Viper engine rebuilds that is backed up on work, but there is no magic in these engines (if you can't make 500+ horsepower with 500+ cubic inches, then you are doing something wrong). I have been wrenching on cars for over 20 years. I spent 2 years while in college working part time at a performance engine building shop. There are tricks of the trade for building Ford's, Chevy's, and Mopar's. It should not take more than 2 weeks to do a stock rebuild, unless they are back logged on work. If the dealer had my engine for 10-12 weeks without any info, my foot would be firmly implanted in someones ass.

Iowa does have a lemon law regarding length of time a vehicle is in repair...check your states laws as pointed out earlier. Another reason I am my own warranty man.

-Muzzy

Muzzy said:
This is not rocket science. They may have a vendor for Viper engine rebuilds that is backed up on work, but there is no magic in these engines (if you can't make 500+ horsepower with 500+ cubic inches, then you are doing something wrong). I have been wrenching on cars for over 20 years. I spent 2 years while in college working part time at a performance engine building shop. There are tricks of the trade for building Ford's, Chevy's, and Mopar's. It should not take more than 2 weeks to do a stock rebuild, unless they are back logged on work. If the dealer had my engine for 10-12 weeks without any info, my foot would be firmly implanted in someones ass.

Iowa does have a lemon law regarding length of time a vehicle is in repair...check your states laws as pointed out earlier. Another reason I am my own warranty man.

-Muzzy

:rock: :rock: :burnout:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back