100 octane race gas and 93 SCT tune

ViperPowa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been running the truck on the 91 oct tune on the SCT all this time. A little hesitant on bumping it up to the 93 tune setting since over here theres only 92 octane. Thinking about picking up some 100 octane from my friend and putting a few gallons in just to make sure theres ample octane inside so no knock/detonation.

Few questions:

1: I've never run 100 octane before so would everything be ok to run the truck with a little 100oct? Or do I need to make any changes?

2:With the SCT, if I run the 93tune on 92 pump gas, and if there is knock/detonation will the SCT still let the pcm pull timing in order to prevent it from detonating? Will I be able to noticably hear or tell if it's knocking/detonating? It's pretty loud now and hearing small things are no longer as easy as before.

Getting ready for the outlaw drags on the 20th, mods are SCT by Sean Roe, belangers, catless mids, mopar/borla exhaust, caltracs. Wonder if traction is gonna be a problem for the stock tires......:dontknow:

Warning: truck is very dirty in vids
with exhaust removed after belangers and mids.

with mopar/borla exhaust on

I've run 92 with the 93 SCT/Paxton tune and it runs great. I mix 110 octane with the same tune at the track with no problems too. Have fun!:rock:

I run 5 gallons of c12/112 octane with half a tank of premium at the track, should be fine. Oh and I'm on a stock pcm with nitrous.

Should be no problem running 92 gas on a 93 tune unless your tuner was aggressive (i.e. set the timing to max).....if your tune is from Roe you should be ok....his tunes allow room for safety..................and why not get a 100 & 110 tune for the track?.....I have 3 tunes on my SCT..93-100-110..........I can tell a big difference between them...

Does the SCT do anything with shift points and firmness? When I get my 10 I'm thinking about getting one of these..I want a nice firm tire chirping second gear shift. :p

SRT-440 said:
Does the SCT do anything with shift points and firmness? When I get my 10 I'm thinking about getting one of these..I want a nice firm tire chirping second gear shift. :p
SCT Tuners can change your shift points and disable torque management, but a shift kit will give you fast solid shifts.

Did ya notice everyone of the responses had the words "should";)

call me when ya need the pistons:)

actually why take the chance, your not gonna make but a couple more hp, so why take the chance:dontknow:

Stinker said:
Did ya notice everyone of the responses had the words "should";)

call me when ya need the pistons:)

actually why take the chance, your not gonna make but a couple more hp, so why take the chance:dontknow:

this coming from the guy who popped the air filter out on the challenger :argh: :D :D :p :p :p

ViperPowa said:
So I've been running the truck on the 91 oct tune on the SCT all this time. A little hesitant on bumping it up to the 93 tune setting since over here theres only 92 octane. Thinking about picking up some 100 octane from my friend and putting a few gallons in just to make sure theres ample octane inside so no knock/detonation.

Few questions:

1: I've never run 100 octane before so would everything be ok to run the truck with a little 100oct? Or do I need to make any changes?

2:With the SCT, if I run the 93tune on 92 pump gas, and if there is knock/detonation will the SCT still let the pcm pull timing in order to prevent it from detonating? Will I be able to noticably hear or tell if it's knocking/detonating? It's pretty loud now and hearing small things are no longer as easy as before.

Getting ready for the outlaw drags on the 20th, mods are SCT by Sean Roe, belangers, catless mids, mopar/borla exhaust, caltracs. Wonder if traction is gonna be a problem for the stock tires......:dontknow:

Warning: truck is very dirty in vids
with exhaust removed after belangers and mids.

with mopar/borla exhaust on

As long as you aren't using cats (as leaded race fuel and cats still don't play well together). That would create a new issue.

If you use "a few gallons" of 100 octane, like you say, is it a few gallons to a few gallons or a few gallons to a make it a full tank?
If you use too much, it will probably slow down. With a full load of 100 and your 93 octane tune, for example, you would now be 7 points away from your tune up and your fuel's octane. In effect, you would be backing the timing off.

Warning! Watch that can't hear as well as you used to thing. It is dangerous when trying to tune!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back