15-50 oil ---- ???

Cbailey8971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of oil ?? Royal purple, amsoil, mobile 1??

I live in maryland and can get cold in the winter I'm thinking about staying with 10/30 for the winter. What brand is the best to go with?

Last edited:
Think most guys are running Mobil1
Had 10W40 in last winter. It would clatter a bit after sitting.

Simple...

Get the 0W40 Mobil1. Pricing and availability are reasonable. The "0" # will give you the quickest flow when cold to assist with start up protection. After warm up, the "40"# will give you proper viscosity without parasitic losses due to viscosity being too high. When at or above 100 C, it's the flow rate of the oil through the system that determines your pressure and how the heat is carried away from your bearings.

Remember the rule... 10 psi for every 1000 rpm. Any more than that is overkill that causes extra heat and power loss.

Cheers

Throw in a quart of Lucas and you wont have that clatter. That stuff is sticky!

Mobile1 0-40 for the winter and 15-50 for summer...............

Here in Arizona, my testing with Mobil1 15W50, 4W40 and 0W40 revealed that even under sustained high temp conditions, the 0W40 maintained the required 10 psi per 1000 rpm. The OEM knows a thing or two ;)

Cheers

Since my rebuild I have 90# at idle cold with 5W40 Mobil1. When it's hot at idle it's just to left of center. I'm afraid to put in anything thicker.

Between 3000 and 3700 rpm I have 65 psi continually on the highway. :dontknow:

Service Manual states....Oil pressure should be 10 psi at idle or 45 - 75 psi at 3000 RPM.
Since you run 15W50, I am not surprised. Do you run any oil additives? My testing showed 5-10 psi too high throughout the rpm range w/ 15W50. What is important is what is your psi at redline.

Since my rebuild I have 90# at idle cold with 5W40 Mobil1. When it's hot at idle it's just to left of center. I'm afraid to put in anything thicker.

90 psi cold?! Your pressure relief valve should pop off at +75 psi. (OEM Pump?) Try a 0W, your start up psi should drop.

My oil cap says 10/30 though?

I'd run 0W30 Mobil1 in it.

Cheers

Engine had a new pump/ front cover installed due to debris damage. Checked it hot yesterday. Weather was cool but some beatings warmed it up.
Coolant gauge to the right of center.
Oil temp was 190deg.
Idle oil pressure was 30 lbs.
2.5k + rpm oil pressure was 75-80 lbs.

Service Manual states....Oil pressure should be 10 psi at idle or 45 - 75 psi at 3000 RPM.
Since you run 15W50, I am not surprised. Do you run any oil additives? My testing showed 5-10 psi too high throughout the rpm range w/ 15W50. What is important is what is your psi at redline.

Well sir, I do NOT run an oil additives. Why is the psi of 5-10 with 15w50 considered too high? :dontknow: Never looked at my psi when redlining. Seems at my age I really need to be watching the road. :D But----I will check it next time I do redline.

Engine had a new pump/ front cover installed due to debris damage. Checked it hot yesterday. Weather was cool but some beatings warmed it up.
Coolant gauge to the right of center.
Oil temp was 190deg.
Idle oil pressure was 30 lbs.
2.5k + rpm oil pressure was 75-80 lbs.

You may have a sending unit accuracy issue. 75-80 psi should be bouncing off the pressure relief valve, or your engine was built too tight. You stated new pump... was it OEM?

Well sir, I do NOT run an oil additives. Why is the psi of 5-10 with 15w50 considered too high? :dontknow: Never looked at my psi when redlining. Seems at my age I really need to be watching the road. :D But----I will check it next time I do redline.

Good to hear... oil additives do nothing in a healthy engine. Mobil1 is excellent oil to run and has excellent "cling" properties for cam bearing surface and start up.

Anything above 65 psi in these engines is a parasitic waste and adds heat. There is a good reason why the OEM set the relief valve at +75 psi. You want to maintain good FLOW to keep the main bearings cool. The higher the psi, the more restrictive the flow can be.

Here is a long but excellent read.....

Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

It's a Mopar front cover w/pump. Ran her tonight.
90-95# cold. Starting around 160 on the oil temp. Oil pressure Maxes out at 80#

Anything above 65 psi in these engines is a parasitic waste and adds heat. There is a good reason why the OEM set the relief valve at +75 psi. You want to maintain good FLOW to keep the main bearings cool. The higher the psi, the more restrictive the flow can be.

Checked yesterday and I run 45 psi at idle and 70 psi at 1500 RPM. 70 psi at 60 mph and 70 psi at 80 mph. Is something wrong? :dontknow:
I'm at 85,000 miles with these psi's so figure all is ok.

Checked yesterday and I run 45 psi at idle and 70 psi at 1500 RPM. 70 psi at 60 mph and 70 psi at 80 mph. Is something wrong? :dontknow:
I'm at 85,000 miles with these psi's so figure all is ok.

Nothing wrong at all! That's perfect

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back