172* thermostat question??

bigredv10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious how this helps..I Assume (besides the ovious) that it tricks the computer to run richer..or what...
Also wandering what other inexpensive upgrades I can make just to "wake it up" like Intake ect.. nothing radical
thx

bigredv10 said:
Just curious how this helps..I Assume (besides the ovious) that it tricks the computer to run richer..or what...
Also wandering what other inexpensive upgrades I can make just to "wake it up" like Intake ect.. nothing radical
thx

The fan will come on sooner. My truck never gets above 180 degrees.

bigredv10 said:
thx
remove one set of cats, the absolute best upgrade you can do, theremostate duz nuttin:D

I allways wondered if it really made any performance gains.

lower thermostat does nothing but open sooner. Fully open if its the stock thermo or lower thermo is fully open. If your temps climb above the stock thermo temp they will do the same with the lower thermostat. Might take a min or 2 to get there with the lower but its still going to get there. To reduce temps you need to get more air through the radiator. Retune when your fans kick on and how much they kick on is a good solution.

4 cat delete best mod for the cash in QC (you had better like it loud if you do this). imo almost as much sop gain as my sct.

A benefit of the lower t stat is the you dont end up with the heat soak problem...... ie, you lose power when your truck is hot.

All trucks need the basic mods, some sort of catback, flash/t-stat. Deleting cats gives best bang for buck but at the expense of a loud ass mofo truck!!

patrick

thx guys In TX you gotta have atleast one set of cats to pass inspection mufler shops wont even remove them if you ask

bigredv10 said:
thx guys In TX you gotta have atleast one set of cats to pass inspection mufler shops wont even remove them if you ask
Hey well one or the "perks" of our failing economy is that your local muffler shop is a bit more flexible :) You just need to drive out and meet them face to face sometimes and they'll do it. If that doesn't work, just cat them out yourself with a saws all and just show up like that :D

hahaha just saws all em' and show up like that haha
wonder if anyone makes "fake" cats guess I could take a hole saw to them

bigredv10 said:
hahaha just saws all em' and show up like that haha
wonder if anyone makes "fake" cats guess I could take a hole saw to them
Cut them open, Empty them out, Weld them back together.

On my truck, the lower thermostat and cooling fans allowed me to add a ton of timing. It drives so much better now. The t-stat, fans, and timing-add made the single largest difference.

Where you at in Texas bigred? I can help you with your Cat problem :) I'm in Plano, near Dallas and I know who can do the job for ya.

bigredv10 said:
Depends on who does the inspection.

Most of the inspection places I go to don't even check for cats. They just hook up the OBDII connector to the machine and run the test. The test doesn't know if there are cats either. It just checks for codes, misfire count, proper EGR function (which we don't have), and a couple of other things. If you go to a strict place and the vehicle is real loud, they might take a look underneath, but it has never happened on mine (but I still have my cats, so no big deal).

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back