2004 Mamba

looks normal to me... had them ever warned on vette forum when i had seen pic of new engine hoisted in car with the inlets not protected... :afraid: :afraid: :afraid: if you're dealer is doing this , take your stuff and RUN !!!! :D

belgiumbarry said:
looks normal to me... had them ever warned on vette forum when i had seen pic of new engine hoisted in car with the inlets not protected... :afraid: :afraid: :afraid: if you're dealer is doing this , take your stuff and RUN !!!! :D

I had a guy I worked with that had more money than common sense.

He bought a pickle fork ski boat with a Hilborn Injected 454 Chevy in it.

The short version of the story is that he had the motor rebuilt, but pulled it back from the guy building it and finished it himself. Well he screwed it up and had a backfire and bent a couple to the throttle plates in the injection system. He pulled the stacks off and proceeded to straighten the throttle plates. When he was re-installing them he dropped a screw down the intake.

So, what did he do? Just got another screw and did not bother to pull the intake to get the one he dropped out.

Sure enough, started it up, bent a valve which then went into the piston and scored the wall.

Then he was pissed at the guy who started to rebuild the motor.

I asked him about it, and he thought the screw would just come out the exhaust.:confused: Oh well, it was an expensive lesson for him.

Silverback said:
I had a guy I worked with that had more money than common sense.

He bought a pickle fork ski boat with a Hilborn Injected 454 Chevy in it.

The short version of the story is that he had the motor rebuilt, but pulled it back from the guy building it and finished it himself. Well he screwed it up and had a backfire and bent a couple to the throttle plates in the injection system. He pulled the stacks off and proceeded to straighten the throttle plates. When he was re-installing them he dropped a screw down the intake.

So, what did he do? Just got another screw and did not bother to pull the intake to get the one he dropped out.

Sure enough, started it up, bent a valve which then went into the piston and scored the wall.

Then he was pissed at the guy who started to rebuild the motor.

I asked him about it, and he thought the screw would just come out the exhaust.:confused: Oh well, it was an expensive lesson for him.

Reality John, have been in a garage years ago , they were working on the carb of a small FIAT car ( engine in the back ) .The "old" lady was waiting her repair.... they dropped a nut in the carb , had the head removed ( only some bolts , easely accesable ) took the nut and replaced head on the same gasket without even cleaning... the lady must have finded that regular work... :D
I think she was there soon again... I never ! :mad:

I always tape and stuff towels in openings when working on my engines. Even if just taking something off for a second. In the rare instance something does fall somewhere...the 6.5HP shop vac is my friend :) I have used it a couple of time to remove items I can't get to with a magnet or fingers.

-Muzzy

here are some more pics of the car after we just installed a complete KW suspension system on it. it is pictured here next a customers car we getting ready to work on. you can see the mamba is really lowered compared to the stock one to the left. the BB exhaust we put on really sounds good with the paxton pushing thru them and with our throttle body the Paxton really whistles! pretty cool 800hp street car.
the KW suspension is awesome. no more wheel hop under acceleration, and the car is PLANTED to the road. tomorrow we are blacking out the headlights and taillights, for the stealth look.

Hey Gary,

What kinda $$$ are we talking for the KW suspension? You can PM me if you like or e-mail at [email protected] .

I'm liking the lowered look and really don't want to drop 4-5K for Motons.

Silverback said:
I would like to point out something to the do it yourselfers on the site.

Take a good look at picture 3. You will notice that the intake runners in the heads are taped over. That is the correct thing to do when you have the manifold off. Someone in the last week or two posted pictures where this was not done. I mentioned it, but no one took notice or replied.

Yup, that's a must. Besides, the ports on my heads are damn near an OSHA safety hazard. I looked into one and almost fell in!:D I finally remove my intake tonight, and promptly stuffed clean rags into the heads. No need to take chances.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back