2005 won't fuel up

rtmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
North side Columbia River @ Portland, Oregon
Hello.

My wife drives our SRT10 until our daughter starts driving. Daughter will get my rig & I'll finally get the truck & the wife whatever she wants.

Anyhow, past couple weeks she's been complaining about not being able to properly fuel up the rig.

She says it barely starts pumping & it clicks off. It takes several minutes just to get a quarter tank.

No codes. About 3 years ago it threw a code that led to the vapor canister right before DEQ. We pulled battery cable & the code went away.

I did a little reading online & they say vapor canister. Should I have replaced back 3 years ago? I still have it around here somewhere?

I can't do any of the work, obviously since I'm paralyzed but my neighbor across the street used to work the Mopar dealer so he does all our work. So I'm trying to find anything that may be causing this so he has something to go by.

Anyone else ever have this issue?

TIA.

If memory serves there's a valve in the filler neck, if it's broken, it doesn't open right which causes the problem

If that's the problem, usually happens with an attempted theft a fuel

I have a buddy with a diesel ram who has had the filler neck issue several times.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

I have a buddy with a diesel ram who has had the filler neck issue several times.

Diesel fuel is always foaming to a certain extent. It's kinda like tapping a beer. Lol

Diesel fuel is always foaming to a certain extent. It's kinda like tapping a beer. Lol
He's owned diesels most his life and familiar with that. The valve was actually bad every time.

You need to fill the tank to the top! it will take about 20 minutes but then the ball can slosh around and drop. Then , don't over fill it! once the lever pop's at the pump the first time, stop. wait until it is empty again before filling !

This happened to me once in the truck and a couple times now in my Chrysler 300. I noticed it only happens when I use a certain pump. If I use a different one, it always works fine and never have that problem.

I remember it being mentioned in the past that it can also happen if you fuel up with the truck running.

The roll over valve gets stuck in the fill neck, happens while filling the truck with running. Fill the tank to the top, literally till gas is up the filler neck. I will take forever if the tank is empty, but it will get the ball loose. Mine got stuck enough I finally replaced my gas tank.

I remember it being mentioned in the past that it can also happen if you fuel up with the truck running.

Illegal here in Texas to fuel up while the engine is running. If fact, if you leave your keys in the ignition while out of the truck and it gets stolen you sometimes got a real up hill battle to get it replaced. Insurance companies are becoming much less tolerant with foolish folks. Just saying.

I too have the problem with certain pumps. The older the station the worse the problem seems to be with the fueling. :dontknow:

I've had this problem twice in the last 150K miles. Both times it was after crossing/running thru deep water (more than a few inches). Like your's you can only trickle fuel.

The first time I figured it was the tip over safety valve (ball valve). I pulled the inlet tube and made sure the ball valve was free...it appeared to be fine. I reassembled and had no issue filling. Figured problem solved...?

A few years later same thing happened. I pulled the tube again making sure the ball valve was free...it was. Attempted to fuel up but still same problem. This time I took it to a buddy with a lift. We pulled a couple of the vacuum lines to the vapor recovery system. One appeared to be plugged. Lung pressure was not enough so we attached a small hand pump. With a couple PSI pressure water flew out with a pop. Re-assembled and was able to refuel.

I've contemplated simply removing/disabling the recovery system but just never got around to doing it. We get 350 days of sunshine but when it does rain it really rains and can't help but go thru deep water out on our roads....I just leave the truck in the garage.

Is there a tool to break that vent tube rubber to stainless connection. I've never see a clamp built into the hoser like that?

If we were to push a low amount of air in at the cap, some should escape at the connection I'm talking about, correct?

We got to it today for the 1st time.

We won't mess with it long & I'll take it up & fill it up. I don't care how long it takes.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the topping off one. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20160211_151945429.jpg
    IMG_20160211_151945429.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 50
I realize it hasn't even been 24 hours but the truck is in our driveway with the wheel off.
We were hoping to disconnect that line & try to blow some air in the filler cap but wanted to ask here 1st, same with whatever tool it takes to break that connection.

I realize I need to top it off & then some but since the wheel's off....I'm a paraplegic & don't like doing things twice if I don't have to. Hope y'all understand?

I don't want to start another thread somewhere else, please.

Well, a little while back I met my wife at the Chevron station. This one doesn't have all those fume contraptions on them.

I had her meet me so I could assemble my wheelchair out of my ride & wait for her.

I went super, super slow & it never clicked off on me. Once it got towards the top & really slowed it down so that fuel was up in the neck.

I told her NOT to let it get low ever again! At 1/2 tank, fill up!

So far so good.

Y'all not answering my latest post I figured was cause you wanted me to fill it. Well, that was the ticket.

I'd still like to know how to break that vent line connection.

Well if this wasn't before, it's got my vote as an "OFFICIAL" fix.

She hasn't had any issues since I did the slow fill up.

I never posted this problem any where else so thanks to the VTCA members, especially Slitherbeast, for helping to diagnose.

Still curious about the clamp I posted. Just to learn something.

What a great truck it's been too. 5 years of pretty much trouble free driving.
I'm hoping by the end of the year to finally take ownership since our daughter's taking my Magnum since she's starting to drive & the wife gets whatever, it'll be another Mopar.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back