4.10 to 4.56 questions

Archangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just have a few questions on this swap. First, if they are OEM they swap right in correct? Second, how much does it affect fuel economy on a RC? I Put 4.10's in my Stratus and it actually helped it in the city because, it got up to speed quicker.Third, what's the difference in 1/4 mile times? Last, what is the difference in RPM at higher speeds and what is the top speed with the 4.56 gears?

They will chime in when they wake up.

I've learned that 4.10's are better on fuel economy in 6th but not by THAT much. Granted the RPM's will be lower in 6th with 4.10's compared to 4.56's. The 4.10's; however, put MORE stress on the upper gears, specifically 5th and 6th. I found that out the hard way last year when my tranny took a dump even though I don't dog her out. 5th and 6th were totally shot.

I have a set of 4.56's that I will likely put in soon. OH and yes they swap easy. Just make sure they're properly shimmed and stuff when doing the swap. The 4.56's will make your 10 feel a lot lighter. Of course you will probably have to shift more in traffic.. Or less, :dontknow:I could be wrong either way.. it's one of those. More or less. I'll be corrected soon.:eek:

With the 4:10. The truck is a slug in 6th! If you spend your time on the highway on long trips, stay with the 4:10s. I dropped 300 rpm in 6th about 1500 at 70 mph. From 1200 with 4.10. 4:10 feels better at speed due to staying in third up to 100 mph. Lots of torque multiplication ! They only had them for one year, to get the speed record! 4:56 is the best compromise In my humble opinion!!!

Fatjack has had every gear combination known to man in his truck...track him down. He's on all the time. Probably just hasn't seen the post yet.

Lol, yeah, because of my diff problems I have had 4.10's, 4.56's and 4.88's.
I am definately going back to the 4.56's permanantly. VERY LITTLE difference in fuel economy and I have taken long trips with all 3 ratios. One hell of a difference in the way the truck runs with the 56's and 88's. The 88's were not worth the money for the difference unless you are running 4.10's then they are very much worth the money. To me the 4.56 is the best all around gear.

I agree 4.56 to be the best ratio for the 6 speed especially because of 5th and 6th. Moreso 6th I've found recently. Really the ultimate fix ( and I plan this soon) is to put in lower 5th and 6th ratio gears in the tranny itself. Make 6th alot more useful and not boggy ( it is with 4.10 and 4.56) and 5th alot more playful;)

IMO the trucks are fast enough. Personally, I get the giggles when I see an RX-7 or mustang running through the gears and getting into 3rd before they are through the intersection. Meanwhile, I am still in first gear. :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back