4.88 gear report

FastSRT19 said:
How hard is the install? I've never had to remove or replace gears before...

not that easy to do,, you have to have a dealer type tool to remove it ,,i took it to two places first and both said they did not have what would be needed to do swap ,,i ended up going to a dealership ,they actually did a great job though ,,,i did get mine through stinker ,but they had to order some different shims from unitrax to get it right ,,they showed me the reciept for the shims ,,but im glad i did it :burnout:

and stinker is right on his price thats what it was or real close!

FATJACK said:
WTF TOOK SO LONG..you been on another one of them drunks???:D :D

Its called work you old goat ,,i had to pull a 7 day work week to get the crap i needed done so i could make the GTG,,got a job for General Electric that busted my chops ,,of course they had to have it ASAP as usual,so by wednesday i will have pulled a 10 day straight week at 12 plus hours a day :argh:

i'm interested in 4.88's but want to see what the difference @ the track will be..... gotta think you'll be shifting to 5th before the 1/4, can't be good for the timeslip ? :dontknow:

moparracing said:
i'm interested in 4.88's but want to see what the difference @ the track will be..... gotta think you'll be shifting to 5th before the 1/4, can't be good for the timeslip ? :dontknow:

illl let ya know soon enough:p

I think in town that Ironhead has echoed the results that others have experienced with the gears. Marc T and Patrick were early adopters of the '88's and both were very pleased. The ease of managing our engines and six-speeds with this gearing must be a great advantage.

But to my knowledge no one has really tested the track times. It does seem to me that an additional shift will be required.

I would think that the 4:88's in a boosted environment would be a negative...but I have been wrong before...

Prof said:
I think in town that Ironhead has echoed the results that others have experienced with the gears. Marc T and Patrick were early adopters of the '88's and both were very pleased. The ease of managing our engines and six-speeds with this gearing must be a great advantage.

But to my knowledge no one has really tested the track times. It does seem to me that an additional shift will be required.

I would think that the 4:88's in a boosted environment would be a negative...but I have been wrong before...

not boosted and dont plan to be ,,i drive my truck not park it !and i will paste and copy my ticket after macon !

I really think the 88's are a great route for a city driven truck. Will be very interested in the track differences because I don't think we have any data for comparison. Ironhead will be the first to give us comparative times! Thanks.

Prof said:

I will have to disagree there Roy:D I liked my 4.88's before the SC'r and just as much afterwards.:rock: Traction didn't seem to be anymore of a problem than it was before the SC'r:dontknow:(It will spin forever if you wanted it to though:D ) If you can figure out how to manage the wheel spin it pulls like a train!!:rock:

kyle's srt10 said:
[/B]

I will have to disagree there Roy:D I liked my 4.88's before the SC'r and just as much afterwards.:rock: Traction didn't seem to be anymore of a problem than it was before the SC'r:dontknow:(It will spin forever if you wanted it to though:D ) If you can figure out how to manage the wheel spin it pulls like a train!!:rock:

Did you ever compare quarter mile times? Just seems that it will seriously decrease et and trap speed...:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Prof said:
Did you ever compare quarter mile times? Just seems that it will seriously decrease et and trap speed...:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Don't know that one:dontknow: I'm sure it would decrease the times a little:dontknow: It just works better for the street. My truck never went to the track. Although once I have a forged engine I may test it out:rock:

see there are soooooo many opinions on the "spinning with gears" issue... me personally beleive and seen in drag bikes and drag cars that lowering the gear ratio helps wheel spin...... i say this because for hypothetical example the tires on my truck geard 4.10s will break loose in first turning 40mph nd just sit and spin all day.... now lower the gears and at that same rpms same gear my tires will only turn lets say 20mph then i will travel forward due to the fact i aint spinning fast enough to keep em loose.... you all seen that guy at the track on the bike who cant do a burnout without sliding the front tire cause he is too scared to spin it on over enough to get loose.... same principle right??????

Glad we will have a track run on these things thanks to Ironman...suprising no one has before....I have looked at the numbers on paper but I like to see real world results.... My bet is with moparracing...probably gonna lose some ET & MPH in the qtr due to a 5th gear shift....but should have a positive effect on the 1/8th strips and the street.....we shall see.

There was one guy on the nfff site that ran with his 4.88's. If I remember correctly he picked up a few tenths. John Stuttle? I am not sure. He did not shift into fifth.

patrick

it would take about a 31inch tall slick to keep from shifting into 5th gear(it would be 113mph in 4th at 6000rpms) for comparison my truck with 4.10's and 26inch slicks in almost the same so if you shaved the calipers and ran the tall slicks it would in theory hook better than my setup(because of more tire) and still pull just as hard but i guess we'll find out on saturday, with the M&H 390's it'll top out around 107 in 4th, might just be better to bang the rev limiter instead of shift

we shall see what we see ,,,i just hope i can get more than 1 or 2 passes

I been sportin 4:88's for about 2 years now, both with and without the Supercharger.

I must say that, other than the SC'r the gears far outweigh any other seat of the pants mod out there!!:rock: :burnout:

i gotta agree with Marc T. i spent $1200 for all parts and labor for the rear end and its easily twice the performance of all the other mods ive done at about a quarter the cost.

you would not beleive all the boo and hissing i got from peeps here over doing this ,,,,i said it once ill say it again
DONT FEAR THE GEAR:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back