40th Anniversary...Damm I feel old

black pearl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On July 16, 1969 13:32:00 UTC the Apollo 11 mission was the first manned mission to land on the Moon. Crew members Mission Commander Neil Alden Armstrong, Command Module Pilot Michael Collins and Lunar Module Pilot Edwin Eugene 'Buzz' Aldrin, Jr.

On July 20, 1969, the human race accomplished its single greatest technological achievement of all time when a man first set foot on another celestial body.
Six hours after landing at 4:17 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (with less than 30 seconds of fuel remaining), Neil A. Armstrong took the “Small Step” into our greater future when he stepped off the Lunar Module, named “Eagle,” onto the surface of the Moon, from which he could look up and see Earth in the heavens as no one had done before him.
He was shortly joined by “Buzz” Aldrin, and the two astronauts spent 21 hours on the lunar surface and returned 46 pounds of lunar rocks. Their liftoff from the surface of the moon was (partially) captured on a TV camera they left behind, and they successfully docked with Michael Collins, patiently orbiting the cold but no longer lifeless moon alone in the Command Module “Columbia.”

apollo-11-patch.jpg

Apollo11SaturnVonlaunchpad39A.jpg

Apollo11LIFTOFF.jpg

Apollo11FIRSTMENONTHEMOON.jpg

I sat and watched that on TV...even recorded the audio with my reel to reel tape recorder....I was 13, a new teenager, 40 yrs ago...

I had the worse case of the flu that night...... Layed on the couch sick as a fkn dawg....

All I can really remember is that they had a problem with the hand held moon cam.. One of the astronauts was trying to get it working and they were talking to him from Mission Control... They asked him what he was doing to try and get it to work.... he actually told them that he gave it a bit of a tap with his space hammer.... (rof) The guy told him not to do that anymore....

The camera never worked after that.....

D

Probably one of the best years for American muscle..... By the way, lets not forget another anniversary in '69. Woodstock.

joemags54 said:
Probably one of the best years for American muscle..... By the way, lets not forget another anniversary in '69. Woodstock.

Carlos' coming out party............

D

Never happened.

It was all done on a sound stage. ;) :D

Congratulations to those fine, brave gentlemen, and all the ladies and gentlemen that supported them and made it all possible.:congrats:

Django said:
Carlos' coming out party............

D
I also thought it might have been the first time for those three dudes, (you know the one with the new and improved liver), with the great harmonies, played together.:thrasher:

It is amazing what NASA has been able to accomplish

Wish I could walk in Space!

When the Apollo launched, I was in Okinawa, clearing out after arriving from Vietnam. They were getting ready to launch and I was leaving to catch a plane back to the world. I stopped, watched the launch, then left for the flight.

My father was working at Rockwell in Downey and was the aircraft manager for that capsule. When I got home, he and I watched the landing together. Sure wish he was still around to see the 40th anniversary of the landing.

He left me some very great photos taken during the mission, close ups of their approach to the moon, great stuff.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back