48RE solenoids help

dhawk said:
FOR SOME IT MAY BE A VALVE BODY AND SOME OTHER PIECES TO GET RID OF SOME 2-3 OVERLAP.
FOR HIGH HORSEPOWER IT MAY TAKE A CONVERTER, AN INPUT SHAFT OR WHOLE TRANSMISSION.
IF SOME OF YOU CAN ACTUALLY MAKE 1500 HORSEPOWER IT IS GOING TO COST SOME MONEY.
IT WILL BE AN INDIVIDUAL THING I THINK, IT WILL DEPEND ON MILEAGE, HP, INTENDED USE, ETC.
AS A TRANSMISSION PERSON THAT HAS SPENT HIS WHOLE LIFE DOING IT. I ALWAYS HEAR THE SAME THING. THE DIESEL GUYS HAD TO COME TO GRIPS WITH IT TOO. THEY DON'T SCRIMP ON INJECTORS, TURBOS, TUNERS, EXHAUST, OR PUMPS, BUT ALWAYS WANTED TO SCRIMP ON EVERYTHING BEHIND IT. I'M SURE YOU GUYS SPEND A LOT ON BLOWERS, NOS, TURBOS, RODS, ETC. I'M NOT TALKING 7GRAND BUT 3-4 THOUSAND WILL GET YOU IN THERE.
DHAWK

So where do I get the valve body or will a shift kit do? The 2-3 overlap will the 4.2 piece, full time torque converter fluid feed valve and Throttle Valve Kit take care of that? or what other pieces are needed?

Last edited:
THE 4.2 LEVER IS AN EXCELLENT START. THERE ARE A COUPLE OF MORE PIECES THAT HELP IT EVEN MORE ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE THE TRANS OUT.
THE TRANS-GO SHIFT KIT WOULD BE FOR MILD TRUCKS. IF ANYONE DOES USE THE KIT, DO NOT USE THE MANUAL VALVE SUPPLIED, USE THE STOCK GOLD COLORED PIECE, OTHERWISE, REAR CLUTCH FAILURE CAN OCCUR IF NOT ADJUSTED PROPERLY. I HAVE A WHOLE PROCEDURE FOR 2-3 SHIFT TIMING.
V/B
SERVO UPGRADE
4.2 LEVER
FRT CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT
STRUT
BAND

DUSTY HAWK

dhawk said:
THE 4.2 LEVER IS AN EXCELLENT START. THERE ARE A COUPLE OF MORE PIECES THAT HELP IT EVEN MORE ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE THE TRANS OUT.
THE TRANS-GO SHIFT KIT WOULD BE FOR MILD TRUCKS. IF ANYONE DOES USE THE KIT, DO NOT USE THE MANUAL VALVE SUPPLIED, USE THE STOCK GOLD COLORED PIECE, OTHERWISE, REAR CLUTCH FAILURE CAN OCCUR IF NOT ADJUSTED PROPERLY. I HAVE A WHOLE PROCEDURE FOR 2-3 SHIFT TIMING.
V/B
SERVO UPGRADE
4.2 LEVER
FRT CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT
STRUT
BAND

DUSTY HAWK

Can any of the parts be purchased from you?

Stinker, Doesn't your tranny guy guarantee up to 1200hp with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty?

theres not a 48re out there that will handle that for any length of time.

ACTUALLY THERE ALREADY IS. UNFORTUNATELY, TRANS-GO SHIFT KITS AND DEEP PANS ARE NOT GOING TO DO IT. 1378HP AND 2500 LB/FT TO BE EXACT.
YES IT IS BEHIND A DIESEL BUT IT DOES SPIN 5200 RPMS. IT WEIGHS 8300 LBS, HE HAS PULLED 15,000/LBS WITH IT AND HAS RUN LOW 11'S IN 4WD.
HOWEVER YOU ARE RIGHT, IT TAKES A TOLL ON IT. EVERY 10,000 MILES OR SO IT NEEDS A NEW BILLET INPUT SHAFT BECAUSE IT TWISTS IT. 5 STAGES OF NITROUS, 2 TURBOS MAKING 100LBS OF BOOST WILL DO THAT.
BOTTOM LINE IS-IT CAN BE DONE.

DHAWK

dhawk said:
ACTUALLY THERE ALREADY IS. UNFORTUNATELY, TRANS-GO SHIFT KITS AND DEEP PANS ARE NOT GOING TO DO IT. 1378HP AND 2500 LB/FT TO BE EXACT.
YES IT IS BEHIND A DIESEL BUT IT DOES SPIN 5200 RPMS. IT WEIGHS 8300 LBS, HE HAS PULLED 15,000/LBS WITH IT AND HAS RUN LOW 11'S IN 4WD.
HOWEVER YOU ARE RIGHT, IT TAKES A TOLL ON IT. EVERY 10,000 MILES OR SO IT NEEDS A NEW BILLET INPUT SHAFT BECAUSE IT TWISTS IT. 5 STAGES OF NITROUS, 2 TURBOS MAKING 100LBS OF BOOST WILL DO THAT.
BOTTOM LINE IS-IT CAN BE DONE.

DHAWK
and has to be rebuilt after a number of passes, tell the entire story;)

OK, 250 PASSES OR SO IT NEEDS THE INPUT SHAFT REPLACED. USUALLY THE CLUTCHES ARE FINE. WE HAVEN'T GOT TO 500 PASSES YET BUT YOUR RIGHT IT WILL PROBABLY NEED TO BE REFRESHED WITH SEALS AND POSS FRT OR POSS REAR CLUTCHES. HAVEN'T GOT THAT FAR YET. MIGHT NEVER GET THERE HE IS SICK OF REPLACING PISTONS, REMEMBER, THAT IS 2500LB/FT FLATLINED ON A DYNO FROM 2300 TO AROUND 4300 RPMS. 4 TO 5 STAGES OF NITROUS IS NOT EXACTLY FOR ENGINE RELIABILITY OUT OF 359 CUBIC INCHES.
NOW TELL ME THE REST OF YOUR STORY, WHAT RAMPS UP SLOW. THE 48RE FRT PUMP IS CAPABLE OF 550 PSI AT 1250 RPMS. THE 47 PUMP CAN ONLY MAKE AROUND 450PSI OR SO. THAT IS IN REVERSE. THIS IS WHY IT HAS NO PROBLEM CREATING WELL OVER 100 PSI OFF IDLE IN FORWARD GEARS.
THE 48RE IN STOCK FORM IS NOT A VERY STRONG AUTOMATIC. PROPERLY BUILT THE 48RE IS ABSOLUTELY ONE OF THE STRONGEST AUTOMATICS KNOWN, ONLY HELD BACK BY THE SIZE OF IT'S SHAFTS.
EVEN AT THAT THE SRT-10 IS ALMOST 3000LBS LIGHTER, NON-4WD, AND CAN'T MAKE 2500LB/FT AT THE REAR WHEELS.
THE TRANS-GO MAN VALVE CAN AND HAS CAUSED FORWARD(REAR CLUTCH) FAILURE. YOU CAN PUT AS MANY SHIFT KITS, SONNAX BUSHED SERVO COVERS, BETTER BANDS, DIFFERENT CLUTCHES, DEEP PANS, AND WHATEVER ELSE YOU WANT IN THE 48RE. IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FIX THE 2-3 OVERLAP, IT WILL FAIL OVER AND OVER. BEFORE IT DOES THOUGH, YOU WILL HAVE TO ADJUST THE BAND CONSTANTLY UNTIL THERE IS NOTHING LEFT OF IT OR THE FRT CLUTCH FRICTIONS CAUSING A 2-3 FLARE OR HUNT OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT.
YOU CAN NEVER TELL A PERSON'S TONE OF VOICE ON THE INTERNET. PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY POSTS AS BEING RUDE, I'M ONLY TRYING TO HELP AND BE FACTUAL. MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM HAVE APPROACHED ME BY PHONE AND HOPEFULLY I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL, I'VE TRIED TO BE.
I BELIEVE I HAVE THE SOLUTION TO THEIR PROBLEMS, IT TOOK US A LONG TIME TO FIND THE SOLUTIONS WITH THE 47 AND 48RE.

SINCERELY DHAWK

outnumbered said:
Stinker, Doesn't your tranny guy guarantee up to 1200hp with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty?

It is basically a stock rebuilt transmission. The shifts are weaker and the 2-3 timing is worse then stock. But they are said to be fixing it to better suit our needs.

My wife will be calling them soon to arrange this thing to be replaced again............................................... and again..........and again............and again......... LOL.:burnout:

dhawk said:
OK, 250 PASSES OR SO IT NEEDS THE INPUT SHAFT REPLACED. USUALLY THE CLUTCHES ARE FINE. WE HAVEN'T GOT TO 500 PASSES YET BUT YOUR RIGHT IT WILL PROBABLY NEED TO BE REFRESHED WITH SEALS AND POSS FRT OR POSS REAR CLUTCHES. HAVEN'T GOT THAT FAR YET. MIGHT NEVER GET THERE HE IS SICK OF REPLACING PISTONS, REMEMBER, THAT IS 2500LB/FT FLATLINED ON A DYNO FROM 2300 TO AROUND 4300 RPMS. 4 TO 5 STAGES OF NITROUS IS NOT EXACTLY FOR ENGINE RELIABILITY OUT OF 359 CUBIC INCHES.
NOW TELL ME THE REST OF YOUR STORY, WHAT RAMPS UP SLOW. THE 48RE FRT PUMP IS CAPABLE OF 550 PSI AT 1250 RPMS. THE 47 PUMP CAN ONLY MAKE AROUND 450PSI OR SO. THAT IS IN REVERSE. THIS IS WHY IT HAS NO PROBLEM CREATING WELL OVER 100 PSI OFF IDLE IN FORWARD GEARS.
THE 48RE IN STOCK FORM IS NOT A VERY STRONG AUTOMATIC. PROPERLY BUILT THE 48RE IS ABSOLUTELY ONE OF THE STRONGEST AUTOMATICS KNOWN, ONLY HELD BACK BY THE SIZE OF IT'S SHAFTS.
EVEN AT THAT THE SRT-10 IS ALMOST 3000LBS LIGHTER, NON-4WD, AND CAN'T MAKE 2500LB/FT AT THE REAR WHEELS.
THE TRANS-GO MAN VALVE CAN AND HAS CAUSED FORWARD(REAR CLUTCH) FAILURE. YOU CAN PUT AS MANY SHIFT KITS, SONNAX BUSHED SERVO COVERS, BETTER BANDS, DIFFERENT CLUTCHES, DEEP PANS, AND WHATEVER ELSE YOU WANT IN THE 48RE. IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FIX THE 2-3 OVERLAP, IT WILL FAIL OVER AND OVER. BEFORE IT DOES THOUGH, YOU WILL HAVE TO ADJUST THE BAND CONSTANTLY UNTIL THERE IS NOTHING LEFT OF IT OR THE FRT CLUTCH FRICTIONS CAUSING A 2-3 FLARE OR HUNT OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT.
YOU CAN NEVER TELL A PERSON'S TONE OF VOICE ON THE INTERNET. PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY POSTS AS BEING RUDE, I'M ONLY TRYING TO HELP AND BE FACTUAL. MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM HAVE APPROACHED ME BY PHONE AND HOPEFULLY I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL, I'VE TRIED TO BE.
I BELIEVE I HAVE THE SOLUTION TO THEIR PROBLEMS, IT TOOK US A LONG TIME TO FIND THE SOLUTIONS WITH THE 47 AND 48RE.

SINCERELY DHAWK

dont take mine wrong either bo;) sometimes my internet typing sux:p
but the thing I dont want is for some one to come in and fill these guys heads with tons of hope, we have had too many vendors lately , come in , make a few bucks then disappear;) and I for one dont want that happening anymore for my guys, they work to dang hard for there dollar:rock: I try to do things to the best of my ability, and sometimes it really fails, sometimes it works out:eek:
I sincerely hope you can work magic, I do, but from suncoast to joe at westmisnister, havent been able to get these things to hold up to nos;)
I would suggest to you talk with fstjack about becomming a vendor, give one member a really good deal on a tranny, hang loose for a couple months and see what happens, if it comes out, then you have a ton of my respect:rock: but the history of any overdrive trannny hasnt been good.
I more than anyone want to see these guys not have problems, I also got promises from a company, and well right now , i could rip them apart:mad:

but good luck , I hope for my guys sake , you are correct and can remendy things for them:)

dhawk said:
THE 4.2 LEVER IS AN EXCELLENT START.
V/B
SERVO UPGRADE
4.2 LEVER
FRT CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT
STRUT
BAND

DUSTY HAWK

I'm going to give this a shot,I've talked with Dusty,super nice guy and more then willing to explain how all this stuff works and totally makes sense,I only want to do this tranny stuff ounce:rock:

dhawk said:
YOU CAN NEVER TELL A PERSON'S TONE OF VOICE ON THE INTERNET. PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY POSTS AS BEING RUDE, I'M ONLY TRYING TO HELP AND BE FACTUAL.

All caps = Yelling on the internet.

Stinker said:
I would suggest to you talk with fstjack about becomming a vendor, give one member a really good deal on a tranny,

With the right deal he could use my truck as a test bed. ;)

Yellow venom said:
I'm going to give this a shot,I've talked with Dusty,super nice guy and more then willing to explain how all this stuff works and totally makes sense,I only want to do this tranny stuff ounce:rock:

I have also spoke to Dusty and agree that what he is saying makes sense. I have gone through two valve bodies and then got a new trans put in and am starting to see the same F'n issues as before. To me that is big pile of BS for this to be happening. I am tired of taking the truck to the dealer and playing games with parts.

After I can figure out what is going on with my current trans I am thinking seriously of giving Dusty a shot at getting this fixed by replacing parts as he recommends and see what happens. If he were close to me I would gladly let him mess around with the truck and see if some magic could be worked. Unfortunately, Michigan is a bit of drive from Jersey.

Most people don't look at the caps thing........... I typed like that because it was easy for me.... I only thought internet geeks we're into that caps yelling stuff. I always looked at what someone says not how they type it..............

If this is a 150,000 year I'll have this headache removed and move on to new HTS hope LOL If if if.................. Maybe this time i won't take it in the a$$ and the sky's will shine clear for a good'ole boy...........maybe not likely but maybe.

Lots of the magic is in replacing the 5.0 with the 4.2 lever. With the 35$ in parts (4.2 lever and Servo blocker) I was sold in the BELOVED, it almost made the truck more fun to drive then the supercharged BEAST.............almost.

Last edited:
SlvrSnake said:
I have also spoke to Dusty and agree that what he is saying makes sense. I have gone through two valve bodies and then got a new trans put in and am starting to see the same F'n issues as before. To me that is big pile of BS for this to be happening. I am tired of taking the truck to the dealer and playing games with parts.

After I can figure out what is going on with my current trans I am thinking seriously of giving Dusty a shot at getting this fixed by replacing parts as he recommends and see what happens. If he were close to me I would gladly let him mess around with the truck and see if some magic could be worked. Unfortunately, Michigan is a bit of drive from Jersey.

What about sending your tranny there? Is your truck parked for the winter? I'm going to get the whole kit he recommends,no one around here has a clue with these tranny's in these trucks around here!:dontknow: Hopefully I will get it pulled out very soon and get the parts ordered:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back