6th gear RPM?

NightRunnerRC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After an an almost 2000 mile round trip from texas to daytona fl and back for the 4th....noticed a few things about the truck. First road trip now....

When going 75 with cruise control set in 6th, for hours at a time...i have noticed that my rpms are different sometimes. 1700, 1300, 1100, 750, have even seen 400.

This is all with no foot on the gas, nor speed change. Stopped for fuel, back on the road get to speed, throw it in 6th...poof, 500 rpm. put into 5th, normal, back to 6th 500....

Now for the trippy part. While cruising, watching my tach, 1600 rpms...it will suddenly drop to 1100 or lower and shoot right back, all within about a second or less. same with the 1100 to 500 drop.

while thats happening i feel no movement change in the truck, nor exhaust tone change. speed still at 75....WTF

WHat is the normal rpm range for 6th gear @ 75 mph and could this be something electrical in the tach?

Sounds like your tach is haunted.....

Sometimes if I rev the engine to redline it has a hard time catching up to the engines actual RPM... but never that freaky shit yours is doing.

Sounds like you may have a cluster going bad.

Nope, it's an 06 thing! 9 out of 10 I've driven have erratic tach signal but doesn't affect driving whatsoever. I believe it's a cluster issue as well.

Nope, it's an 06 thing! 9 out of 10 I've driven have erratic tach signal but doesn't affect driving whatsoever. I believe it's a cluster issue as well.

Well that's somewhat of a refief. I knew I was getting tired and delirious but definitely knew it happened. Other than that trip went well except for the race rain out. Averaged around 18 mpg and nailing it in the tunnel at the end of Mobil Alabama was priceless

18MPG!!! I don't remember mine ever getting that much... But then again never did a long trip.. Guess I'll find out next month when I head south..

After an an almost 2000 mile round trip from texas to daytona fl and back for the 4th....noticed a few things about the truck. First road trip now....

When going 75 with cruise control set in 6th, for hours at a time...i have noticed that my rpms are different sometimes. 1700, 1300, 1100, 750, have even seen 400.

This is all with no foot on the gas, nor speed change. Stopped for fuel, back on the road get to speed, throw it in 6th...poof, 500 rpm. put into 5th, normal, back to 6th 500....

Now for the trippy part. While cruising, watching my tach, 1600 rpms...it will suddenly drop to 1100 or lower and shoot right back, all within about a second or less. same with the 1100 to 500 drop.

while thats happening i feel no movement change in the truck, nor exhaust tone change. speed still at 75....WTF

WHat is the normal rpm range for 6th gear @ 75 mph and could this be something electrical in the tach?

My truck runs about 1,700 @ 75mph

Have also done 18.5 and 18.6 on last couple tanks on a long interstate trip from MN to MI and back. A lot of cruising in 6th about 70-75.

Anyone remotely close to southeast texas? Beaumont area that has a shop? Wanna do this motor right and don't trust anyone down here that I've met....

Really guy? I just want to have someone knowledgeable lok at the truck make sure everything is 100% good to go and have all my fluids changed, plugs as well if needed. Manual states 30k. Thanks for being a dick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back