7.0 Earthquake in Haiti

Black1 said:
We've tried all this with the other side of the island before (several times)... and Dominican Republic is still struggling with what we have "helped" to do.

The really unfortunate thing is... with all of the money, aid, and continual help we send all these countries on top of our own indiscretions and frivolous spending and freebies we dole out here... I'm quite fearful we are barreling toward the "tipping point" you speak of above. How naive and stupid have we become that we have so much fervor towards helping another sovereign nation when we don't even have the courage to fix ourselves?

Actually, the DR is a hidden tourist resort for many Europeans. There are several high end resorts, such as the Casa de Campo; which is close to La Ramana (been there). Oscar de la Renta had a house right off the point adjacent to the resort. The local economy is highly dependent on tourist dollars, and for the most part does fairly well. It's very much like the the Bahama's--nice around the resorts, rather dirty in the actual living area of the general population.

As for other factors affecting the local economy, there are manufacturing free zones; which are typically filled with US companies. The garment industry has typically been strong (my father was running a plant dedicated to Under Armour), but as is the case with many garment and textile manufacturers, they are losing business to Asian countries.

I'm not sure that Haiti has ever been known for it's tourism, and I'm certianly not aware of any foreign companies making any significant investment in facilities there. Although they share the same body of land, there is as much difference between the DR and Haiti, as there is between the U.S. and Mexico.

outnumbered said:

I'm not sure that Haiti has ever been known for it's tourism, and I'm certianly not aware of any foreign companies making any significant investment in facilities there. Although they share the same body of land, there is as much difference between the DR and Haiti, as there is between the U.S. and Mexico.

You are correct, and I absolutely agree! ..... I was referring more to DR's "rocky" political and governmental woes in the past. Some of which were both appeased and exasperated by the US, according to our needs at the time, not the people of the DR. And, that's not right... that's all I'm trying to say. :eek:

Gotcha. I wasn't disagreeing with, just offering some additional information.:)

From FOX News.

"Haiti is a cursed land by any definition. It has been cursed politically with dictators and revolutions characterizing its political landscape. And it has been cursed economically. Despite U.N., U.S. and a great deal of charitable aide, Haiti has never been able to create a stable economy that would lift its people out of their grinding poverty.

Add to this the challenges posed by hurricanes and the dangerous fault lines that parallel and traverse the island nation and you have a country that would be better off abandoned.

The U.S. and other nations are now pouring millions of dollars worth of aid into Haiti. That will only help the survivors in the short term. What the U.N. and France should do (Haitians are French-speaking and have a historic relationship with France because of past colonialism) is to offer Haitians a chance to live in other countries. Otherwise, it is likely this process of natural disaster, political upheavel and grinding poverty will continue without end.

Cal Thomas is America's most widely syndicated newspaper columnist and a Fox News contributor."

Silverback said:
From FOX News.

"Haiti is a cursed land by any definition. It has been cursed politically with dictators and revolutions characterizing its political landscape. And it has been cursed economically. Despite U.N., U.S. and a great deal of charitable aide, Haiti has never been able to create a stable economy that would lift its people out of their grinding poverty.

Add to this the challenges posed by hurricanes and the dangerous fault lines that parallel and traverse the island nation and you have a country that would be better off abandoned.

The U.S. and other nations are now pouring millions of dollars worth of aid into Haiti. That will only help the survivors in the short term. What the U.N. and France should do (Haitians are French-speaking and have a historic relationship with France because of past colonialism) is to offer Haitians a chance to live in other countries. Otherwise, it is likely this process of natural disaster, political upheavel and grinding poverty will continue without end.

Cal Thomas is America's most widely syndicated newspaper columnist and a Fox News contributor."

Well Cal is sounding like Pat Robertson who said:

"...something happened a long time ago in Haiti and people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French, uh you know Napoleon the third and whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the Devil. They said we will serve you if you'll get us free from the French. True Story. And so the Devil said "OK, it's a deal." And they kicked the French out. You know, the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other, desperately poor. That island is Hispaniola is one island. It's cut down the middle. On one side is Haiti, on the other side is the Dominican republic. Dominican Republic is prosperous, healthy, full of resorts, etc.. Haiti is in desperate poverty. Same island. Uh, they need to have, and we need to pray for them, a great turning to God and out of this tragedy. I'm optimistic something good may come."

Robertson is the same idiot that said that Katrina was American's punishment for allowing abortion.

As a follow-on to post #41...

The history of innovation is filled with elites and centralized processes. But look closer and you find that ordinary people have always silently played a role. In his "A Culture of Improvement: Technology and the Western Millennium", Robert Friedel shows how countless small efforts by individuals, from all rungs on society's ladder, contributed to the astonishing advances that we enjoy in today's post-modern, post-industrial societies. Imagine how much better firms and countries could innovate if they could harness the distributed creative potential of all these innovators in waiting...In an age of mass innovation, the world may enve find profitable ways to deliver solutions to the the 21st century's greatest needs. including sustainable clean energy, affordable and universal health care for aging populations and quite possiblyentirely new industries. The one natural resource that the world has left in infinite quantity is human ingenuity.

If Haitians have nothing else they are blessed with huge amounts of ingenuity...and more is being cultivated at this very moment as they try to cope with this most recent natural disaster.

I love great books!

TREKER said:
Yipee!!!!

http://www.wftv.com/news/22242754/detail.html

Think they will bring their machetes with them?

One thing about helping them, but bringing them here only to see them stay here is going to be a BIG mistake!!!

9 PACKED C-17s have already dropped off "refugees" in Orlando. They are dropping them at Sanford International Airport. 19 planes in total. 90% are US Citizens, so far. But, they are going to be flying in people for 2 weeks straight (Miami, ORL, SAN)

Last edited:
Black1 said:
9 PACKED C-17s have already dropped off "refugees" in Orlando. They are dropping them at Sanford International Airport. 19 planes in total. 90% are US Citizens, so far. But, they are going to be flying in people for 2 weeks straight (Miami, ORL, SAN)

Think that would be happening with Bush in office? And that in no way is an endorsement for him... :eek:

TREKER said:
Think that would be happening with Bush in office? And that in no way is an endorsement for him... :eek:

I think so... Pre-Katrina? No. But, the military is handling this, NOT FEMA. They would have done a good job of getting all of our citizens out asap, IMO. Now... if they start shipping in refugees that are NOT citizens, or have VISAs already (through family members here), that would NOT have happened under Bush. And I hope it doesn't happen here and now.

There have been quite a few orphans that are being transported in those C-17's as well. They already have adoptive families waiting for them when they get here. I think that is absolutely fantastic. :rock: It makes me proud to know there are still good people in this world that are willing to give these kids a chance at a decent life. That's charity, right there.

we have a driver here who's sister and mom are in haiti, he hasnt heard from them yet. he goes down there twice a year. hope they are alright.

Danny Glover:mad: blamed the earthquake on the US, because we are not doing enough about global warming.

What an idiot.

Silverback said:
Danny Glover:mad: blamed the earthquake on the US, because we are not doing enough about global warming.

What an idiot.

Almost as dumb as Pat Robertson's comment.

eddie102870 said:
we have a driver here who's sister and mom are in haiti, he hasnt heard from them yet. he goes down there twice a year. hope they are alright.

I hope so too... But, they still don't have power in 99% of the country. So, no phones. I think the first place to have the lights back on was the airport in Port-au-Prince. And that was late yesterday (courtesy of our military ;) ).

Black1 said:
I hope so too... But, they still don't have power in 99% of the country. So, no phones. I think the first place to have the lights back on was the airport in Port-au-Prince. And that was late yesterday (courtesy of our military ;) ).
hopefully he will hear from them soon. i cant imagine not knowing if my mom and sister were alive or not.

6.1 AFTERSHOK HIT HAITI THIS MORNING

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - The most powerful aftershock yet struck Haiti on Wednesday, shaking more rubble from damaged buildings and sending screaming people running into the streets eight days after the country's capital was devastated by an apocalyptic quake.

The magnitude-6.1 temblor did not appear to cause major new damage in a city already nearly flattened by the Jan. 12 quake, but aid workers said it complicated rescue efforts and Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive said the government was sending teams to check on the situation in Petit-Goave, near the epicenter.
"We know they are going to need some help," he said.
At least one woman died of a heart attack, according to Eddy Thomas, a private undertaker.
"She had a heart condition, and the new quake finished her," he said while pushing her body along the street on a mobile stretcher.
Wails of terror rose from frightened survivors as the earth shuddered at 6:03 a.m. U.S. soldiers and tent city refugees alike raced for open ground, and clouds of dust rose in the capital.

The quake began as a slow vibration and then intensified into side-to-side shaking that lasted about eight seconds in Haiti's capital. Some in Port-au-Prince said the far stronger Jan. 12 quake seemed to last for 30 seconds.
The U.S. Geological Survey said Wednesday's quake was centred about 35 miles (60 kilometres) west-southwest of Port-au-Prince and 6.2 miles (9.9 kilometres) below the surface - a little further from the capital than last week's epicenter was.
"It kind of felt like standing on a board on top of a ball," said U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Steven Payne. The 27-year-old from Jolo, West Virginia was preparing to hand out food to refugees in a tent camp of 25,000 quake victims when the aftershock hit.
Last week's magnitude-7 quake killed an estimated 200,000 people in Haiti, left 250,000 injured and made 1.5 million homeless, according to the European Union.

The strong aftershock prompted Anold Fleurigene, 28, to grab his wife and three children and head to the city bus station. His house was destroyed in the first quake and his sister and brother killed.
"I've seen the situation here, and I want to get out," he said.
The new shake, combined with a light rain on Tuesday, has complicated rescue efforts, said Dr. Yi Ting Tsai, part of a Taiwanese crew digging for survivors near the ruined cathedra.
"The problem is the rain and the new quake this morning has made the debris more compact," he said.
Wednesday's magnitude-6.1 temblor was the largest of 49 aftershocks of magnitude-4.5 or greater that have followed the Jan. 12 quake.
USGS geophysicist Bruce Pressgrave said nobody knows if a still-stronger aftershock is possible.
"Aftershocks sometimes die out very quickly," he said. "In other cases they can go on for weeks, or if we're really unlucky it could go on for months" as the earth adjusts to the new stresses caused by the initial quake.
A massive international aid effort has been struggling with logistical problems, and many Haitians are still desperate for food and water.
But more aid was arriving on Wednesday, notably the U.S. Navy's floating hospital, USNS Comfort, which was already treating two severely injured quake victims when it dropped anchor in view of Port-au-Prince. She ship carries about 550 medical staff and about 60 civilian mariners.
Search-and-rescue teams have emerged from the city's ruins with some improbable success stories - including the rescue of 69-year-old ardent Roman Catholic who said she prayed constantly during her week under the rubble.
Ena Zizi had been at a church meeting at the residence of Haiti's Roman Catholic archbishop when the Jan. 12 quake struck, trapping her in debris. On Tuesday, she was rescued by a Mexican disaster team.
Zizi said after the quake, she spoke back and forth with a vicar who also was trapped. But he fell silent after a few days, and she spent the rest of the time praying and waiting.
"I talked only to my boss, God," she said. "I didn't need any more humans."
Doctors who examined Zizi on Tuesday said she was dehydrated and had a dislocated hip and a broken leg.
Elsewhere in the capital, two women were pulled from a destroyed university building. And near midnight Tuesday, a smiling and singing 26-year-old Lozama Hotteline was carried to safety from a collapsed store in the Petionville neighbourhood by the French aid group Rescuers Without Borders.

Crews at the cathedral recovered the body of the archbishop, Monsignor Joseph Serge Miot, who was killed in the Jan. 12 quake.
Authorities say more than 100 people have been pulled from wrecked buildings by international search-and-rescue teams and dozens of teams were still hunting through Port-au-Prince's crumbled homes and buildings for signs of life on Wednesday.
But the good news was overshadowed by the frustrating fact that the world still can't get enough food and water to the hungry and thirsty.
"We need so much. Food, clothes, we need everything. I don't know whose responsibility it is, but they need to give us something soon," said Sophia Eltime, a 29-year-old mother of two who has been living under a bedsheet with seven members of her extended family.
The World Food Program said more than 250,000 ready-to-eat food rations had been distributed in Haiti by Tuesday, reaching only a fraction of the 3 million people thought to be in desperate need.
The WFP said it needs to deliver 100 million ready-to-eat rations in the next 30 days, but it only had 16 million meals in the pipeline.
Even as U.S. troops landed in Seahawk helicopters Tuesday on the manicured lawn of the ruined National Palace, the colossal efforts to help Haiti were proving inadequate because of the scale of the disaster. Expectations exceeded what money, will and military might have been able to achieve.
Governments have pledged nearly $1 billion in aid, and thousands of tons of food and medical supplies have been shipped. But much remains trapped in warehouses, or diverted to the neighbouring Dominican Republic. Port-au-Prince's nonfunctioning seaport and many impassable roads complicate efforts to get aid to the people.
Aid is still being turned back from the single-runway airport, where the U.S. military has been criticized by some of poorly prioritizing flights. The U.S. Air Force said it had raised the facility's daily capacity from 30 flights before the quake to 180.
About 2,200 U.S. Marines have established a beachhead west of Port-au-Prince, joining 9,000 Army soldiers already on the ground. Lt. Cmdr. Walter Matthews, a U.S. military spokesman, said helicopters were ferrying aid from the airport into Port-au-Prince and the nearby town of Jacmel as fast as they could.
U.S. Defence Secretary Robert Gates said the military will send a port-clearing ship with cranes aboard to Port-au-Prince to remove debris that is preventing many larger aid ships from docking.
The U.N. was sending in reinforcements as well: The Security Council voted Tuesday to add 2,000 peacekeepers to the 7,000 already in Haiti, and 1,500 more police to the 2,100-strong international force.
"The floodgates for aid are starting to open," Matthews said at the airport. "In the first few days, you're limited by manpower, but we're starting to bring people in."
Hanging over the entire effort was an overwhelming fear among relief officials that Haitians' desperation would boil over into violence.
"We've very concerned about the level of security we need around our people when we're doing distributions," said Graham Tardif, who heads disaster-relief efforts for the charity World Vision. The U.N., the U.S. government and other organizations have echoed such fears.
-

6.1 AFTERSHOCK HIT HAITI THIS MORNING

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - The most powerful aftershock yet struck Haiti on Wednesday, shaking more rubble from damaged buildings and sending screaming people running into the streets eight days after the country's capital was devastated by an apocalyptic quake.

The magnitude-6.1 temblor did not appear to cause major new damage in a city already nearly flattened by the Jan. 12 quake, but aid workers said it complicated rescue efforts and Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive said the government was sending teams to check on the situation in Petit-Goave, near the epicenter.
"We know they are going to need some help," he said.
At least one woman died of a heart attack, according to Eddy Thomas, a private undertaker.
"She had a heart condition, and the new quake finished her," he said while pushing her body along the street on a mobile stretcher.
Wails of terror rose from frightened survivors as the earth shuddered at 6:03 a.m. U.S. soldiers and tent city refugees alike raced for open ground, and clouds of dust rose in the capital.

The quake began as a slow vibration and then intensified into side-to-side shaking that lasted about eight seconds in Haiti's capital. Some in Port-au-Prince said the far stronger Jan. 12 quake seemed to last for 30 seconds.
The U.S. Geological Survey said Wednesday's quake was centred about 35 miles (60 kilometres) west-southwest of Port-au-Prince and 6.2 miles (9.9 kilometres) below the surface - a little further from the capital than last week's epicenter was.
"It kind of felt like standing on a board on top of a ball," said U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Steven Payne. The 27-year-old from Jolo, West Virginia was preparing to hand out food to refugees in a tent camp of 25,000 quake victims when the aftershock hit.
Last week's magnitude-7 quake killed an estimated 200,000 people in Haiti, left 250,000 injured and made 1.5 million homeless, according to the European Union.

The strong aftershock prompted Anold Fleurigene, 28, to grab his wife and three children and head to the city bus station. His house was destroyed in the first quake and his sister and brother killed.
"I've seen the situation here, and I want to get out," he said.
The new shake, combined with a light rain on Tuesday, has complicated rescue efforts, said Dr. Yi Ting Tsai, part of a Taiwanese crew digging for survivors near the ruined cathedra.
"The problem is the rain and the new quake this morning has made the debris more compact," he said.
Wednesday's magnitude-6.1 temblor was the largest of 49 aftershocks of magnitude-4.5 or greater that have followed the Jan. 12 quake.
USGS geophysicist Bruce Pressgrave said nobody knows if a still-stronger aftershock is possible.
"Aftershocks sometimes die out very quickly," he said. "In other cases they can go on for weeks, or if we're really unlucky it could go on for months" as the earth adjusts to the new stresses caused by the initial quake.
A massive international aid effort has been struggling with logistical problems, and many Haitians are still desperate for food and water.
But more aid was arriving on Wednesday, notably the U.S. Navy's floating hospital, USNS Comfort, which was already treating two severely injured quake victims when it dropped anchor in view of Port-au-Prince. She ship carries about 550 medical staff and about 60 civilian mariners.
Search-and-rescue teams have emerged from the city's ruins with some improbable success stories - including the rescue of 69-year-old ardent Roman Catholic who said she prayed constantly during her week under the rubble.
Ena Zizi had been at a church meeting at the residence of Haiti's Roman Catholic archbishop when the Jan. 12 quake struck, trapping her in debris. On Tuesday, she was rescued by a Mexican disaster team.
Zizi said after the quake, she spoke back and forth with a vicar who also was trapped. But he fell silent after a few days, and she spent the rest of the time praying and waiting.
"I talked only to my boss, God," she said. "I didn't need any more humans."
Doctors who examined Zizi on Tuesday said she was dehydrated and had a dislocated hip and a broken leg.
Elsewhere in the capital, two women were pulled from a destroyed university building. And near midnight Tuesday, a smiling and singing 26-year-old Lozama Hotteline was carried to safety from a collapsed store in the Petionville neighbourhood by the French aid group Rescuers Without Borders.

Crews at the cathedral recovered the body of the archbishop, Monsignor Joseph Serge Miot, who was killed in the Jan. 12 quake.
Authorities say more than 100 people have been pulled from wrecked buildings by international search-and-rescue teams and dozens of teams were still hunting through Port-au-Prince's crumbled homes and buildings for signs of life on Wednesday.
But the good news was overshadowed by the frustrating fact that the world still can't get enough food and water to the hungry and thirsty.
"We need so much. Food, clothes, we need everything. I don't know whose responsibility it is, but they need to give us something soon," said Sophia Eltime, a 29-year-old mother of two who has been living under a bedsheet with seven members of her extended family.
The World Food Program said more than 250,000 ready-to-eat food rations had been distributed in Haiti by Tuesday, reaching only a fraction of the 3 million people thought to be in desperate need.
The WFP said it needs to deliver 100 million ready-to-eat rations in the next 30 days, but it only had 16 million meals in the pipeline.
Even as U.S. troops landed in Seahawk helicopters Tuesday on the manicured lawn of the ruined National Palace, the colossal efforts to help Haiti were proving inadequate because of the scale of the disaster. Expectations exceeded what money, will and military might have been able to achieve.
Governments have pledged nearly $1 billion in aid, and thousands of tons of food and medical supplies have been shipped. But much remains trapped in warehouses, or diverted to the neighbouring Dominican Republic. Port-au-Prince's nonfunctioning seaport and many impassable roads complicate efforts to get aid to the people.
Aid is still being turned back from the single-runway airport, where the U.S. military has been criticized by some of poorly prioritizing flights. The U.S. Air Force said it had raised the facility's daily capacity from 30 flights before the quake to 180.
About 2,200 U.S. Marines have established a beachhead west of Port-au-Prince, joining 9,000 Army soldiers already on the ground. Lt. Cmdr. Walter Matthews, a U.S. military spokesman, said helicopters were ferrying aid from the airport into Port-au-Prince and the nearby town of Jacmel as fast as they could.
U.S. Defence Secretary Robert Gates said the military will send a port-clearing ship with cranes aboard to Port-au-Prince to remove debris that is preventing many larger aid ships from docking.
The U.N. was sending in reinforcements as well: The Security Council voted Tuesday to add 2,000 peacekeepers to the 7,000 already in Haiti, and 1,500 more police to the 2,100-strong international force.
"The floodgates for aid are starting to open," Matthews said at the airport. "In the first few days, you're limited by manpower, but we're starting to bring people in."
Hanging over the entire effort was an overwhelming fear among relief officials that Haitians' desperation would boil over into violence.
"We've very concerned about the level of security we need around our people when we're doing distributions," said Graham Tardif, who heads disaster-relief efforts for the charity World Vision. The U.N., the U.S. government and other organizations have echoed such fears.
-

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back